Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: R8 5.2 V10 Fsi.

Thumbs down

Perhaps all of you're right but the fact that Audi won't have a real sport car over 500hp is very dissappointing.And Gallardo??Once the R8 could get "only" 420hp to be slower than Lambo but also the V10 should be slower???Audi fare ill again(don't know if it's right in English or not ) in VAG
    I can't understand how can VW wish Audi to beat BMW in this conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    Perhaps all of you're right but the fact that Audi won't have a real sport car over 500hp is very dissappointing.
    All joking aside, I completely understand where you and Leadfoot are coming from. 480 sounds dissapointing when compared to a number like 500 just as 380 isn't 400. But remember that the 911TT makes only 480 as well, yet look how fast that is in a straight line. I agree that 500 would be better (especially when the next RS 6 will make 580!!! but it will prove to be enough I think. Time will tell if it will really be "only" 480 or not...

Keep the faith.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

the speedometer has 350 km/h on it. what does that mean

I thought that the Gallardo was faster then the M6 to 60mhp. 0-60 3.9 Gallardo SE, M6 0-60 4.1(euro spec.) 4.5(U.S. spec.). The M6 however traps a little better, I think. Off the line the R8 should be faster then the "U.S. spec" M6.

Agreed it should be quicker to 60mph, but when was the last time you seen a race stop after 60mph, more likely to add a one on to the front of that figure. In that case I think the R8 will be in trouble.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    But remember that the 911TT makes only 480 as well, yet look how fast that is in a straight line.
    Yeah, but the 997TT has WAY more torque (all over the rev range) than any n/a 5.2L V10 is going to have...

Quote Originally Posted by Lateknight View Post
    I expect the torque to be similar as the 5.2 in the S8 - 398lb/ft (540nm) -it is a larger engine

So thats more than the M5/M6 engine. (383lb/ft)

Remember to create horsepower you've got to get the engine to rev. Bmws V10 goes to 8250rpm (same as RS4 V8). Lambo 5.0 gets to 7800rpm, the current Audi 5.2 runs out of steam at about 7000rpm.

It is a little bit worrying that a Gallardo cannot outsprint an M6 though. (I didn't know that), considering the lighter weight and similar outputs.
    The gallardo motor revs past 8k, don't know where you get your info.

Even if the 5.2 makes just slightly more torque it doesn't matter. The torque multiplication through the range is greater with the 7 speed on the M5/M6.

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    disagree 100%

the torque will be about the same. the V10 R8 will weigh at least 400 pounds less than the M6. the M6 makes only 20 more hp. why would the R8 be slower?

an R8 with a 480 hp engine will def be faster. look, the V8 will likely pull 0-60 times in the 4.2 second range. that is already faster than an M6. although the M6 will catch and pass the V8 R8 at higher speeds it will never be able to catch the V10, which will have gobs more torque. and the V10 will pull 0-60 times of 4.0 seconds flat....

yikes!

this R8 is really special. it seems to be 90% as fast as the gallardo, with almost 100 fewer horses......... i am sure it makes 440 horses. even then......there is a je ne se qua about the whole thing.........

Why would the R8 be slower? I don't know, because the gallardo is? AWD saps power at higher speeds. The M5/M6 have a 7 speed and rwd. The M5/M6 motor revs higher. Weight doesn't mean as much once rolling.

And for the people quoting 0-60 numbers, who cares? An AWD car will always have better 0-60, on the autobahn and at higher speeds the M cars rule.

Audi needs to stop the BS and put the new RS6 motor (twin turbo v10) in the R8 and lay the smackdown on everyone. Instead of holding the R8 back audi needs to make it a legend. I won't give a crap about a 911 turbo or anything for that matter if they just put the twin turbo v10 in it. Audi would then get the respect it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    The gallardo motor revs past 8k, don't know where you get your info.

Even if the 5.2 makes just slightly more torque it doesn't matter. The torque multiplication through the range is greater with the 7 speed on the M5/M6.
    Correct,.. the Gallardos max power is at 7800rpm, not what it revs to - my mistake. Making its max power in about the same rpms as the Beemer V10.

I'd like to hear your explanation of 'Torque multiplication through the range' though.
    Are you suggesting the Beemers lower geared?

Quote Originally Posted by Lateknight View Post
    Correct,.. the Gallardos max power is at 7800rpm, not what it revs to - my mistake. Making its max power in about the same rpms as the Beemer V10.

I'd like to hear your explanation of 'Torque multiplication through the range' though.
    Are you suggesting the Beemers lower geared?

Exactly, it is effectively lower geared in each gear. Having an extra gear it allows more torque under the curve in each gear. Gear multiplications only goes so far however, but on a 200 mph car that has all its power at 6k and up 7 gears make sense.

The gallardo was geared terribly. The pre- 06 models that is, hitting 60+ in first gear. The new SE with 520 hp supposedly is right there with the M5/M6. Still makes you wonder why it needs new gearing and extra hp just to keep pace with a much heavier car. The M5 v10 seems to be a bit more impressive.

Has there not been rumors floating around about a possible R8 V12 TDI version?

Quote Originally Posted by RS6 Vigilante View Post
    Has there not been rumors floating around about a possible R8 V12 TDI version?
    Yes and from more than one source.

The M6 does 60 in 4.1 according to car and driver. That is with the launch control. As for all around driving, the SMG shifts faster than any automatic, and much faster than a driver with a manual. That in and of itself shaves time off an acceleration run. Again, two different cars with different purposes. The M6 is a GT/Luxury Coupe, the 911, Gallardo, are sports cars, the R8 more towards sports than GT. And the BMW v10 is actually a jewel, beautifully made, and proves it with winning the engine of the year award two times in a row (I think three now). The R8 needs at least 500hp, and the all wheel drive robs the engine of power (increased friction in the drivetrain) and added weight. I needs more like 550hp (tt v10), and I doubt Audi will do that because of the backlash from Lamborghini. I love the R8, actually all Audis, but somehow the deal with Lambo is going to hurt Audi in many ways.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

An M6 doing 0-60mph in 4.1 seconds, that time was most likely done on a drag strip and shouldn't count. As for the R8 needing more than 500hp, yes if it's to beat the M6 in a drag racing but the R8 is not the kind of car which needs to satisfy a man's ego, leave that to the M6 and the old school Amecian muscle cars to do that.

The only reason I believe the R8 should have at least the same power as the M6 is the fact that the R8 is the top of the tree, the most sporty of all Audis and as such shouldn't be any less than it's Germany rivals with the exclusion of Porsche which has always rowed it's own boat and doesn't need headline numbers to sell it's cars, especially it's most expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by noushy View Post
    The M6 does 60 in 4.1 according to car and driver. That is with the launch control. As for all around driving, the SMG shifts faster than any automatic, and much faster than a driver with a manual. That in and of itself shaves time off an acceleration run. Again, two different cars with different purposes. The M6 is a GT/Luxury Coupe, the 911, Gallardo, are sports cars, the R8 more towards sports than GT. And the BMW v10 is actually a jewel, beautifully made, and proves it with winning the engine of the year award two times in a row (I think three now). The R8 needs at least 500hp, and the all wheel drive robs the engine of power (increased friction in the drivetrain) and added weight. I needs more like 550hp (tt v10), and I doubt Audi will do that because of the backlash from Lamborghini. I love the R8, actually all Audis, but somehow the deal with Lambo is going to hurt Audi in many ways.

Noushy
    I think the 0-60 4.1 for the M6 was the one with the euro launch control. Other mags have posted 0-60 4.5. Audi really needs at least 500hp to compete with the other guys. Yes the 997 turbo has only 480hp but it also has 450ft(500 w/sports chro.)

I would prefer the old RS6+ 480 bhp V8 compared to a 480 bhp V10 ...I also prefer the sound of a V8 compared to a V10

I have to agree with the sound overall. My friends find the sound of the RS6 much meaner, and more in tune with a sports car. The M6 at low speed is ok, at high rpm, has a race car like (ie formula 1 car like) sound. Not bad, just different. As for power, the R8 really needs more than 420, especially at that price point. The maserati coupe gets away with it (due to the ferrari designed engine), but even that or the Vantage V8, both are really entry models to more expensive cars (ie. F430 or DB9). The R8 should be the showplace car, the flagship car for Audi, and they dropped the ball in that department. In my mind because of the gallardo. The R8 will not depreciate as badly as the gallardo, and will be much more exclusive, they should have given it more. As for me, I will wait for the RS6, it just makes more sense.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

Quote Originally Posted by noushy View Post
    As for me, I will wait for the RS6, it just makes more sense.

Noushy

I can't wait to get my hands on MY next Audi,but R8 or RS6?This question bothers me and I am very interested on what engine RS6 will actually get.If Audi go the proper RS way like with last RS6 engine,turbos should give the car easily the pace of the R8 but with lots of space for family and friends and pets and etc, which in my opinion is more, but of course I say it with understanding that these cars are completely different in the purpose.I absolutely like R8 with its original design and 21st century technology,but for me I think the decision totaly depends on Audi's choice of the engine for the next real BEAST.
    from RUS with love :)
    12 R8 Plus; 14 Toyota LC200 Diesel; 06 Subaru Impreza STi Spec C Type RA; 09 BMW X5M SOLD; 01 Black Mercedes G500 SOLD; 00 Silver TTC Quattro SOLD; 02 RS6 - 530 hp SOLD