PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a couple of questions

peiserg
September 13th, 2006, 06:22
I would like to introduce myself, as I am interested in purchasing an rs6 in the very near future, and hope to get some valuable information from the crowd here.

I've done some lurking for a while now, and have decided it's about time to take the plunge into the rs6.

Can anyone point out some things I need to watch out for, as someone unfamiliar with Audi's in general?

In addition to that information, where should I look regarding info on any changes I might want to do to the car? Pretty much any car I've ever had I ended up modifying, so I assume this one will be the same, as much as I might try to resist. I typically don't play around with body kits or anything too showy, sticking mostly to performance related products, but have not been able to find a place that carries much for the almight rs6.

I have an NSX, and have been fortunate that two of the largest players in aftermarket support are here in phx az where I live. But i haven't the faintest idea as to whether the same can be said of audi products.

thanks for any help. Flame suit firmly in place in case I've already made newbie mistakes with first post.

SoCal
September 13th, 2006, 07:12
See thread "Servicing the RS6" in this forum.

Besides the usual questions about condition, maintenance history, accidents and so forth, ask about track usage, modifications, whether all service was done at Audi dealers by RS6-certified mechanics and using proper spec motor oil, any history of repairs to or problems with the DRC suspension, and the condition of brake pads and discs. If the car hasn't been abused and isn't one of the few lemons out there, you should be able to get an awesome car for the money.

The most common mods that some have done are brakes (at least pads), chipped engines (ECUs) and suspension. Search RS6.com for posts on "Movit", "Pagid" "H-sport" and "STaSIS" and you'll come up with good info. Benman and Bauer are great resources for more information.

Good luck.:rs6kiss:

Benman
September 13th, 2006, 15:45
Originally posted by peiserg
Flame suit firmly in place in case I've already made newbie mistakes with first post.

LOL! This isn't AudiWorld!:applause:

Peiserg, welcome to the board. No sweat for asking questions, this is what this place is for.

SoCal's post is spot on. Those are the things to check for. As for "tuning", on top of the items already mentioned by SoCal search "Abt", "MTM", and "Sportech" for the ecu tuning he mentioned. There is a great wealth of info here. Do some searches and let us know if anything else comes up.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

jimmy94507
September 13th, 2006, 18:51
There are a few of us who frequent this forum that are from AZ, some from the Phoenix area.
Is there a particular color you are looking for? Other features? Let us know and we'll help where we can.
I sent you a PM.

Regards, Jimmy S.
jimmys@cableone.net

rtbarry
September 13th, 2006, 19:22
Originally posted by peiserg
I have an NSX, and have been fortunate that two of the largest players in aftermarket support are here in phx az where I live.

shoot me a line re: tuners in phx area. also, if you're still looking, i have an "extra" RS6 ;-)

ron-at-barrystuff.com

Radiation Joe
September 13th, 2006, 20:05
Typical of A4s, the multi-link front suspension could be a replacement item. I haven't seen any postings on this subject in the several months I have been following this board.
Does the RS6 use control arms (ball joints) that are less prone to wear??? If typical of Audi arms, as miles pass 50k this becomes a concern. Steering gets a little sloppy and grinding/groaning noises can sometimes be heard from the front end.
Please correct my statement if I'm out of line on this one.
Joe

peiserg
September 14th, 2006, 01:07
wow, thanks for all the responses. I was expecting a more tepid response for a newb. glad to see some enthusiasm (withOUT cruelty:D )

in a condensed nutshell (is that the same thing?) my search started for a high performance 4 door sedan. I found via suggestions, the M5, E55, CTS-V, maserati quattroporte, and RS6. I narrowed to to the audi for a few reasons.

is there a place I can find all available options, so I know what to look for in the rs6? I.e. stuff like "sunroof" i don't know if that is standard or optional, or some other 'performance package' with upgraded wheels or interior trim etc. Other question is colors available. All I've seen is white, and dark grey (black??) around here. My preference would be for a deep blue, but i don't know if that is an option, or rare if available at all.. color, however, is relatively low on my list of concerns vs. overall condition and mileage along with price.

thanks all

LIRS6
September 14th, 2006, 14:14
is there a place I can find all available options

There were not many options for the RS6 - to my recollection, there was :
-the choice of wood or carbon fibre trim,
-a "summer" package consisting of rear shades and solar venting sunroof,
-rear side airbags, and
-navigation.

Fyi a basic sunroof was standard, the solar one is for warm climates and vents warm air out of the interior (in theory - ask others how well it works).

As to colors available, look at the Audi website for the '07 RS4 - many of these are the same colors as were available on the RS6; Misano Red, Mugello Blue (which is a deep metallic blue), Daytona Gray, Avus Silver. The black is different - the RS6 was offered in Brilliant Black as well as another black color - kind of like a flat metallic black, I don't re-call the name. It was also offered in Goodwood Green, and there were some Arctic White cars imported as well as at least one Imola Yellow.

Radiation Joe
September 14th, 2006, 18:17
You can find information on "out of production" cars in the CPO section of the Audi USA site.

I can't seem to post the link properly so:

Go to Audi USA site
click on Certified pre-owned
click on Learn about Audi Certified Vehicles

They have info on the 2003 RS6.

Good luck.
Joe

SoCal
September 14th, 2006, 22:46
LIRS6 is right on the relatively few options that were available on this car as well as colors. Note that the "sound enhanced exhaust" was also an option. I have it, and it is nice, but it does not improve performance. Satellite radio was also available as an original option (but you still have to subscribe to the service, if you want it), either XM or Sirius. The other luxury things that you would expect (Alcantara headliner, sunroof, premium stereo adn so forth) were standard.

You mentioned you like dark blue. Mine is Mugello Blue and it is a great color. Very deep. Looks almost black at night.

Good luck.

Squirrel
September 14th, 2006, 23:10
Welcome! I've only had mine for about 7 months...awesome car!! Point I wanted to make is re the warm weather package.

I live in Texas, and the solar sunroof is a big plus in my opinion for hot places like ours. Comes with the power rear sunshade and manual shades in the rear door panels. Best part though is the solar sunroof, which powers a fan that circulates air while the car is sitting. No more sweaty 130 degree driving till the AC kicks in.

Only downside is that you give up the see-through glass panel. The solar sunroof has an alcantra lining on the inside, so when closed looks just like the rest of the headliner.

Good luck in your search.

mmaturo
September 18th, 2006, 06:55
Worth every second and penny to have one of these things...Selling mine to save money for a place...CPO'd 42K on it, still has original warranty on it till summer next year and CPO to 2009. I am the second owner...excellent condition inside and out...$55K Daytona, with Silver interior...

One thing I will say on options is that my car has the standard exhaust and having been around plenty of other RSs with the enhanced at gatherings I cannot tell any difference...and mine is certainly loud enough. Everybody knows I am coming or going. Best mod I did in my car was to put in the RNSE (see navplus.us website), made a huge difference in the appearance of the interior and the function of the nav of course. Ordered my OEM 19" 5 spokes with the titanium finish from Europe...expensive but worth it on my color of car anyway.

AR33COP
September 25th, 2006, 19:16
hi.i`m so glad that i`ve found another owners of the magnific RS 6.
i`m from romania and drive one of this models.maybe we`ll know eachother better.