PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 V12 TDI.

Iceman
September 11th, 2006, 17:55
a Audi R8 V12 TDI will no surprice for me if it come's.
The black R8 in the video clip can be a V12 TDI allredy.
The engine make's a different sound and make the impression it's not high reffing.
If a Q7 V12 TDI can do 0-100 Km/h in 5.5 sec's think what a R8 can do, 4.6/4.8 sec's.

Hans.

Toto89
September 11th, 2006, 21:53
Originally posted by Iceman

If a Q7 V12 TDI can do 0-100 Km/h in 5.5 sec's think what a R8 can do, 4.6/4.8 sec's.

Or even less than 4,6. The Q7 with that engine weight about 2,5 tons, but the R8 won't be more than 1,5 ton!!!I think that V12 TDI R8 could do it in 4 sec.!

AndyBG
September 12th, 2006, 00:39
:applause:

tailpipe
September 12th, 2006, 11:03
Contrary to comments in other posts, that the new diesel V-12 won't make it into the R8, it is looking increasingly likely that Audi will put such an engine in this car. When we're increasingly made to feel guilty about driving thirsty performance cars, a supercar that does 25 mpg is exactly what people want. Audi has been highly responsive to customer needs by putting this engine in the Q7, so it would be logical and sensible to put in the R8, A6 and A8. (I bet it will also appear in a Bentley.)

If Audi puts its new V-12 diesel in the R8 - and I sincerely hope they do - it should be capable of doing 0-100 kph in 3.9 seconds. Even if it only does it in 4.6 seconds, it will still be an incredible car. It will certainly be the definitive high-tech sports car.

The only problem with this is Lamborghini. What will be the point of a thirstier, more expensive V-12 petrol engine alternative when you have a sublime V-12 diesel?

I guess Audi will charge a small fortune for it: £80,000 plus.

Aston MArtin V8 Vantage of Audi R8? Difficult decision.

Fab
September 12th, 2006, 11:31
Originally posted by tailpipe

Aston MArtin V8 Vantage of Audi R8? Difficult decision. not for me :D

tazsura
September 12th, 2006, 12:40
not for me

Me either!! :0:

tazsura
September 12th, 2006, 12:49
The only problem with this is Lamborghini. What will be the point of a thirstier, more expensive V-12 petrol engine alternative when you have a sublime V-12 diesel?

I don't think this will be a problem. Havn't heard the V12 Diesel but I doubt it will match the spine tiggling sound of a Lambo V12. :bigeyes:

MR USER
September 12th, 2006, 20:17
IMHO the Aston does not even match the RS4....
I already have an aston (AMV8) mark on my side door together with numerous Porsches and one F360!!!

I admit that the aston is sex on wheels!!! there is no other car that can match to those looks..... but the performance is lausy for that money, I'd go F430 a million times. On the other hand the Aston looks soo good....

Why having to choose? I'll get them both! Anyone to borrow me some cash? How about 450 k euro?

tailpipe
September 12th, 2006, 21:01
Originally posted by MR USER
IMHO the Aston does not even match the RS4....

...the performance is lousy for that money...
You obviously haven't driven the Aston-Martin V8.

As fars as I know, the RS4 has not yet beaten the Aston-Martin V8's Nurburgring lap time of 8:10 seconds. You are also probably unaware that a stock V8 Vantage recently competed in the Nurburgring Endurance race coming 24th overall and 4th in class - against proper race-spec cars. Of course, raw horsepower and straightline speed simply don't tell the whole story.

By any objective standard, the design of the Vantage is as uncompromised as you'll find anywhere. For a start, it is a perfectly balanced car. The driving experience in terms of steering feel, ride and handling are beyond anything I've encountered in any other car.

This is an extremely focused sports machine in a way that the RS4 is not. The Aston talks to you through your hands, through the seat of your pants and through all of your other senses.

I don't know which car would be quicker point-to-pointon a wet day, but I know which would be more fun. And isn't that what cars at this level are all about?

The cockpit of the Aston is simply on another plane. Beautifully designed and wonderfully made with the best materials, it is a special place to be in a way that few other cars can equal.

One other small and possibly irrelevant point, but the fuel economy of the Aston on a long journey is 20-30% better than that of the RS4.

For me, an RS4 is car you buy and keep for a few years. But an Aston is a car you buy and keep forever.

MR USER
September 12th, 2006, 23:59
I agree with you in many of the points you mentioned.
It is a wonderful car as long as it does not have reliability problems and in he past Astons had many (don't know about the last 4-5 years as we did not get anymore). On the look and sound of the car I share with you your passion.

In terms of absolute figures you probably are correct.

There is somenthing you forget, when you talk about cars like the aston and higher specs what matter the most is the optional behind the steering.... There is where you find most of the problems of any performance car!!! wouldn't you agree?

Almost forgot for the same money of the AMV8 and aiming at performances I would still choose a million times the F430!!!

AndyBG
September 13th, 2006, 01:00
...The cockpit of the Aston is simply on another plane. Beautifully designed and wonderfully made with the best materials, it is a special place to be in a way that few other cars can equal.

With several details from Volvo...

That, I don't like.

Fab
September 13th, 2006, 08:20
I would definitely go for a 997 carrera S rather than the Aston for its "aura", built quality, perfs, etc... The Aston is great no doubt but what about long term reliability and price in 2-3 years time. Is it really worth its price ? no shure :confused:

Well it's my own opinion.:bye:

tailpipe
September 13th, 2006, 10:31
As much as I like the Aston, I agree with comments about the Ferrari F430. It is the definitive sports car, a beast beyond words.

That said, I am warming to the R8. If it does get a proper DSG box - like the one from the Veyron - and the V-12 TDI then it will be a truly sublime machine.

Sorry, but Porsches just don't do it for me. people complain about the TT being a rebodied Golf, but i see the 911 as a rebodied Beetle - a design that is almost 70 years old! To be fair on Porsche, they have taken it way beyond anything ever imagined by the original car, but as a purist i just hate having an engine mounted behind the rear axle.

I think i said this elsewhere, but the R8 is a car porsche should have built 20 years ago. Piech santioned the Le Mans and other fast Audi concepts, such as the Avus and Rosemeyer cars, to make this very point.

The R8 is a brave car and deserves to succeed. in the final analysis, its fate will depend on its price.

tazsura
September 13th, 2006, 10:32
I would definitely go for a 997 carrera S rather than the Aston for its "aura", built quality, perfs, etc... The Aston is great no doubt but what about long term reliability and price in 2-3 years time. Is it really worth its price ? no shure

Couldn't agree more. If I were in this market I'd have a 997. If I was brave and could deal with a bit of unrealiability, I would NOT go for the Aston, but for the Maserati GranSport.

Oh and the interior is exactly the same as in the DB9 is it not? Which IMHO is the better looking car on the outside also.

I know of at least two people who have had the Aston V8 and have now sold them because of growing tired of various glitches. However, they were both sold for list price, even having covered about 10k miles each. Can't argue with that!

:rs4kiss:

Fab
September 13th, 2006, 12:24
As much as I like the Aston, I agree with comments about the Ferrari F430. It is the definitive sports car, a beast beyond words.

Sorry, but Porsches just don't do it for me. people complain about the TT being a rebodied Golf, but i see the 911 as a rebodied Beetle - a design that is almost 70 years old! To be fair on Porsche, they have taken it way beyond anything ever imagined by the original car, but as a purist i just hate having an engine mounted behind the rear axle.

The R8 is a brave car and deserves to succeed. in the final analysis, its fate will depend on its price. Everybody has its own opinion. Porsche is a myth and has been at the top of the sports cars segment for years. Porsches are just great looking :heart: . This is like a Rolex : same shape over the last 40-50 years and still number one :D . The TT a rebodied golf !!! come on. Those people are just kidding

The back pack engine is just part of the Porsche Myth and a philosophy. Very funny to drive and giving you a hell of adherence and motricity.

The R8 looks very promising but will never reach the Porsche aura and driving feeling.

:bye:

AndyBG
September 13th, 2006, 13:18
Originally posted by Fab
Everybody has its own opinion. Porsche is a myth and has been at the top of the sports cars segment for years. Porsches are just great looking :heart: . This is like a Rolex : same shape over the last 40-50 years and still number one :D . The TT a rebodied golf !!! come on. Those people are just kidding

The back pack engine is just part of the Porsche Myth and a philosophy. Very funny to drive and giving you a hell of adherence and motricity.

The R8 looks very promising but will never reach the Porsche aura and driving feeling.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Porsche, all the way...!!!

I'm with you!

Fab
September 13th, 2006, 13:45
:heart:

tazsura
September 13th, 2006, 14:50
Porsche, all the way...!!!

GT3 :heart: for me please...but I wouldn't say no to the Turbo! Fab..don't be greedy..you've already got one Four wheel drive supercar in the RS4!:thumb: :rs4addict

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Fab
September 13th, 2006, 15:37
I love the GT3 as well. Very tuff choice between the two.

Anyway my next one will be a Porsche. But this can change of course...

Of course I am perfectly fine for the time being :rs4kiss:

AndyBG
September 13th, 2006, 15:52
Porsche and Audi, that just goes one with another...

Remember RS 2.... :heart: :bow:

Fab
September 13th, 2006, 15:59
Look at your number of posts :D stay on mute now Andy :applause:

tazsura
September 13th, 2006, 16:14
Look at your number of posts :D stay on mute now :applause: Andy

:applause: nice one!

I wonder what the relationship between Audi and Porsche will be like if the R8 steals a lot of sales from the 911?!

:eye:

Fab
September 13th, 2006, 16:16
Well Porsche is not far from controlling VW so they might diplomatically ask Audi to slow down :argue:

But most of The Porsche owners usually stay within Porsche offering as long as they want to drive a GT like many friends of mine, collegues and my father :D

tailpipe
September 13th, 2006, 16:54
I think it is going to be very interesting to see what happens when Volkswagen and Porsche become one company.

Audi has moved into every niche, both up and down. In doing so it has encroached on Volkswagen's traditional small car market segment at the lower end, with the A2 and A3, and Porsche's luxury sports car segment at the top end, with the TT, A5 and R8.

A merger between Porsche and Volkswagen makes a lot of sense, because they serve opposite ends of the market. But i'm not sure where this would leave Audi. It would need to offer a condensed product range, because of customer overlap:

- The TT is very close to the Cayman
- The Q7 is very close to the Cayenne
- The R8 is very close to the 911
- The A8/ S8 will be very close to the Panamera

This only leaves the A4 and A6 in a class by themselves. in other words, a merger with Porsche could kill Audi.

Benman
September 13th, 2006, 16:58
Wow, I thought this thread was about the V12TDI R8? Silly me...;)

About the TDI V12, IF that engine makes it into the car, why would it be even remotely hard to believe it would do sub 4 sec 0-60 times? I mean, come on! A Gallardo (same weight) has 500hp, so does the V12 TDI... A Gallardo has 370-380(?) torque? Well, the V12 TDI has more than DOUBLE that figure!!!:bigeyes: :bow:

Everyone here (myself included) has worried that politics would keep Audi from making a faster car than it's Lambo brother, but the brilliance is this motor would give Audi their shot! I mean, think about it, what Lambo owner wants a TDI? None. So Gallardo owners wouldn't care if the R8 had a faster version as long as it wasn't petrol. If it was just a "lowly" TDI, I think this would be Audi's one chance to upstage the performance of the Gallardo without actually taking market share of Gallardo purchases.

Thoughts...

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
September 13th, 2006, 18:34
Originally posted by Fab
Look at your number of posts :D stay on mute now Andy :applause:

:0: :thumb: :applause:

Great !

Leadfoot
September 13th, 2006, 22:58
Originally posted by Fab
Everybody has its own opinion. Porsche is a myth and has been at the top of the sports cars segment for years. Porsches are just great looking :heart: . This is like a Rolex : same shape over the last 40-50 years and still number one :D . The TT a rebodied golf !!! come on. Those people are just kidding

Fab,

I agree that the Porsche is and has been at the top of the supercar game, which Lamborghini has also been, especially under the control of Audi. I know that their is enough differences between the R8 and Gallardo to make it not a sure thing that the R8 can be held in the same esteem.

But it doesn't have to, remember that this is an Audi which lets face it is the sensible sportscar brand and the R8 will be no different. It will have all thing that's important in the Audi brand but with a little bit of the Lamborghini's flair. I don't doubt that it will be as good to drive as the Porsche or Lamborghini but just different in a very Audi way. This is without a doubt be the best driving Audi ever and place it at the up there with the above but more importantly ahead of BMW and Mercedes.

I do agree that a v12 diesel engine would be a prefect match for the R8, the extra weight of the engine will have less effect in the middle than at the front, so it will be easier for the engineers to maintain it's handling dynamics. And with the amount of torque this engine produces, the extra weight diesel model might not let it match it's petrol brothers in acceleration but it will totally destroy them in-gear and could quite possibly be the fastest overall. It would be the version that would appeal to me.

This is addressed to Tailpipe's comments regarding the Aston V8 Vantage. To say that the Aston is a better car than the RS4 is like saying the M3CSL is also a better car than the RS4. On both points it's correct, but on both counts this is really only right on the track. Place both these cars against a RS4 on the road and with all of them in the hands of the average driver, the RS4 will walk away into the distance, but alas most people only want to have to best car, not necessarily what is the best for them. In the right hands either of them would leave to RS4.

Agreed, the Aston does have better steering feel and better weight balance but though I would class myself as a pretty decent pilot, place both cars on the road I would never be able to drive the Aston as quickly as the RS4 and still keep my hair. And this same points can be applied to the R8, it might not have the steering feel of a Carerra S or be as thrilling to drive of a Gallardo but I bet you in our hands it will be the quickest down any given road.:)