PDA

View Full Version : No Hotter TT.

Leadfoot
September 7th, 2006, 10:47
Autoexpress are running an exclusive report saying the Audi bosses are not now going to bring out a hotter TT as it would unmine the 420ps R8.

I take it from this that the 3.2L 250ps version will be the top of the tree and the S-Line is only a style option.:cry:

I hope this isn't true, I at least expected the S3 to make it into the range.

Leadfoot
September 7th, 2006, 14:53
This is not what I was told by my dealer, he's asures me that the S-Line will be a stand alone version with more power. Only time will time.

What have you heard Hans and is this just B.S.

Fab
September 7th, 2006, 19:42
Audi has always been very good at not saying anything... Nobody knows anyway :confused:

Iceman
September 8th, 2006, 20:43
Originally posted by Leadfoot
What have you heard Hans and is this just B.S.
Not entyrely, Audi will not bring faster models before 2008.
Till that time it look like the 2 engine now availeble and a new base 1.8T FSI ± 160 hp engine in 2007 ?.

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 8th, 2006, 23:53
Originally posted by Iceman
Not entyrely, Audi will not bring faster models before 2008.
Till that time it look like the 2 engine now availeble and a new base 1.8T FSI ± 160 hp engine in 2007 ?.

Hans.

This will be a shame if true and I for one might reconsider buying one because of this. That is unless it drive a hell of a lot better than the new S3, because with it's more turbo engine there is more potential for tuning than the 3.2L in the TT. Until I drive the TT I am undecided.

Though you have to agree that the reason given in Autoexpress is total BS. No one who is considering buying a R8 would change their mind for a hot TT, there is no comparison.

Erik
September 9th, 2006, 00:41
I hear the R8 is getting a V6 280 hp as well, so this might be a very good reason to stop cannibalism within Audi.

AndyBG
September 9th, 2006, 04:27
Originally posted by Erik
I hear the R8 is getting a V6 280 hp as well, so this might be a very good reason to stop cannibalism within Audi.

:doh:

And then they say, SUPERCAR ?

Erik
September 9th, 2006, 08:07
Originally posted by AndyBG
And then they say, SUPERCAR ?

No, entry-level. :p

Iceman
September 9th, 2006, 09:28
Originally posted by Erik
Is not go to happen i can asure you.
If there will be a base engine in the R8 it will be the 350 hp 4.2 V8 FSI.

Hans.

Mr Balsen
September 9th, 2006, 09:38
The V6 in the R8 makes no sense.

R8 competitors have all V8, except the 911. And for Porsche, it is becomeing a marketing problem....

Cheers,
Frederic

Iceman
September 9th, 2006, 11:36
But there is something in the pipeline.
Take a look at this: http://www.audi.fr/gamme/tt/tt.htm
This TT on the France Audi site have been photographted on the road.
There are tree stories to it.
1) It's a VOTEX body kit for the new TT.
2) It's the not yet shown S-line rearspoiler.
3) This TT is the TT QS.
This car or body kit can appear on the Paris motorshow.

http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/foto217_829.jpg
http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/foto221_129.jpg
http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/foto223_136.jpg

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 9th, 2006, 13:16
If Audi produce a R8 with less power than the 420ps model due for release, than I will has lost faith of Audi's interest to be a real player in the German manufacturer performance market.

The R8 will not be an lighter than 1550kgs so is it get a S4 engine it will be no quicker than a M3 or in other words, slower than a standard 997 never mind a 997 S.:cry: How will they be able to sell this at £60K, I personally think that they shouldn't have brought out a v8 version at all. The fact it's mid-engined meant the weight of the engine was less important to it's effect on weight balance and so handling. The R8 should have solely used a v10 from the S8 and then a turbo to be add when the Gallardo's power was upped.

But as there is to be a 420ps version, why would Audi stop the introduction of a 300ps TT, it doesn't make sense. The TT good as it is will never has the dynamics of the R8, one is based on a humble Golf's underpinning and the other is based on one of the best supercars in the world. Then you come to the looks, the TT is possibly the best looking coupe in the under £50k bracket but it's not got the looks of a true supercar, hell even the 997 Turbo looks ordinary next to a F430, Gallardo, Ford GT or even a Vette Z06 so how can a TT compare to the R8.

I think Audi are falling back into it's old ways of bring out it's most exciting versions way to late. Why can BMW do it and Audi can't, the Z4 coupe was launched with the M model at the same time, this means that the people that are interested in the car don't have to look else where for their frills. And this is the point of my original post, with Audi dropping is hot TT at the moment has left me with a delima, do I take the car I like the look of but not the version I really want or do I look else where for the excitement I want but in a car I don't really want, decisions, decisions.:vhmmm:

Iceman
September 9th, 2006, 14:10
You can always buy a TT 3.2 Quattro and give it the 350 hp MTM or 405 hp HGP-turbo treatment.

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 9th, 2006, 15:56
You can always buy a TT 3.2 Quattro and give it the 350 hp MTM or 405 hp HGP-turbo treatment.

Hans.

I asked Mr Balsen if MTM were turboing the 3.2L and he said not. So how are they tuning the TT, is it supercharging or different cams etc.?

Iceman
September 9th, 2006, 16:50
Originally posted by Leadfoot
I asked Mr Balsen if MTM were turboing the 3.2L and he said not. So how are they tuning the TT, is it supercharging or different cams etc.?
No MTM will not use a turbo but a compressor/supercharger i think.
Without, 350 hp is very difficult to reach.

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 9th, 2006, 23:14
No MTM will not use a turbo but a compressor/supercharger i think.
Without, 350 hp is very difficult to reach.

Hans.

I have a problem with going down this route. The reason is the car well be modified from normal so it's worth less when it comes time to selling it and the modification cost a lot, so you lose out on both counts.

Now if Audi did the mods themselves you would price extra for this, but at least the car will be worth more. I, like everyone who is considering a TT would like one with 300-350hp, but without the S3 engine installed in it, this won't be possible to do cheaply. At least with the S3 engine as little as a chip upgrade would gain the 35hp required if not more and a chip and exhaust would possibly get it to 350hp. Neither of these two mods would effect the resale of the car.

So you see why I will be now consider the S3 over the TT. Ok, the TT will look more special and no doubt will handling and drive better, but I love the power and the frill of being able to blow a M3 and alas this will only be possible from the seat of the S3. It will be no big hardship as I would still be driving a Audi, just not the right one. :rolleyes:

Iceman
September 23rd, 2006, 11:57
It start to look like Audi will use 4 and 5 cylinder engines in it's future performance TT models.
In the new German "Autozeitung" magazine they say there will be a TT(S ?) in 2007 (Geneva / IAA Frankfurt ?) with a ±300 hp R4 2.0 litre Turbo FSI engine in it, that's 150 hp per litre.
In 2008 (Geneva / Paris ?) a TT (RS ?) with a (Quattro GmbH ?) R5 2.5 litre Turbo FSI engine with 365 hp.
Beside that they wright that the TT RS will go on sale world wide.
Between ( ? ) is not sure at all IMHO.

Audi is testing a lot of engines in the new TT and a TT 2.0T Quattro with 230 hp is performing the same as the 3.2 VR6.
Futher it's getting very quiet about a TT 3.6 Quattro, the criterion change all the time.
The latest is that Audi will be using a 272 hp 3.2 FSI VR6 engine that will replace the old "NON" FSI 3.2 VR6 engine.
But all of this is still speculation till Audi announce something. ;)

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 23rd, 2006, 12:36
It start to look like Audi will use 4 and 5 cylinder engines in it's future performance TT models.
In the new German "Autozeitung" magazine they say there will be a TT(S ?) in 2007 (Geneva / IAA Frankfurt ?) with a ±300 hp R4 2.0 litre Turbo FSI engine in it, that's 150 hp per litre.
In 2008 (Geneva / Paris ?) a TT (RS ?) with a (Quattro GmbH ?) R5 2.5 litre Turbo FSI engine with 365 hp.
Beside that they wright that the TT RS will go on sale world wide.
Between ( ? ) is not sure at all IMHO.

Audi is testing a lot of engines in the new TT and a TT 2.0T Quattro with 230 hp is performing the same as the 3.2 VR6.
Futher it's getting very quiet about a TT 3.6 Quattro, the criterion change all the time.
The latest is that Audi will be using a 272 hp 3.2 FSI VR6 engine that will replace the old "NON" FSI 3.2 VR6 engine.
But all of this is still speculation till Audi announce something. ;)

Hans.

Thanks for that Hans, as I've said the 3.2L is OK fast not as quick as I thought what with the weight and power available, but at least the 3.2L is getting FSi so should improve the pick-up from low revs and increase the drive to the redline. The one that interests me personally is the 2.0TFSi with 230hp and Quattro, this as Iceman has matches the current 3.2L but with the added punch of the turbo kicking in and the advantage of cheap power increases with chip upgrades.

As I am getting ever closer to having to decide what one is choose (March delivery means early November order) I am in a dilemma as I don't want the 3.2L (not sporty enough) and the current 2.0T doesn't have quattro.

It looks like I will be driving my trusty steed a little longer until Audi pulls it's finger out and puts any of these other versions into production.:noshake: