PDA

View Full Version : can't properly clean my rims

Fab
September 4th, 2006, 20:23
I've been washing my car for the 3rd time this evening. I already noticed on my previous washing session (high pressure hot water with soap) that the rims do not get perfectly clean even if I really insist on the dirt very closely with the water gun.

I am talking about black dirt and marks form the brakes of course. However this dirt is like glue. After the wash I clean the remaining marks by hand with some paper and it is not easy to get rid of it... I am very surprised about this dirt resistance as it never happened with my other cars.

Do you guys have had the same experience ? I will go for a rim solution to apply few minutes prior to the wash as it should help but do you have any tip to make the rim perfect after the wash ?

I want the best for my baby :D

thanks

Mr Balsen
September 4th, 2006, 20:37
I can only recommend Meguiar's. Brand I am using since 1996 with no problem. The very best for me.

Cheers,
Frederic

Fab
September 4th, 2006, 20:44
Thanks Fred but can you tell me a bit more about this product as I don't know it. Is it an after-clean product ? Or it has to be use prior to a high pressure water cleaning ?

As you know I am from geneva. Where can I get it ? In France only ?

Thanks for your info as I really want to get THE product.

:bye:

Fab
September 4th, 2006, 20:52
I just had a look to the Meguiar web site.

I found 2 products :

1) Nettoyant toutes jantes (le classique à appliquer avant lavage)
2) Polish tous métaux (application après lavage)

What do you recommend ? Both ? The second one seems very nice for exhaust pipes but for rims as well.

What is your suggestion ?

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2006, 21:13
I've always found a product called 'WonderWheel' great at cleaning brake dust. It's not a spray but a liquid you apply with a brush.

steffenr
September 4th, 2006, 21:17
I use some thing called Alloy cleaner and and a brush, it's toxic as hell, but it gets the job done.

If you want to keep your wheels then get them really really clean, then put some boat wax on them, then will the dirt not get as stuck.

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2006, 21:34
Oh, I forgot to add. Use petroleum jelly on your alloys over the winter, that is if in your country they salt the roads when icily. Your rims will look dreadful, but this will protect them and they will look like new ready for summer.

sparkhill
September 4th, 2006, 22:36
All you need is some automotive soap, water, and the Audi wheel brush (part number ZAW 911 630). The brush is long enough to reach the very back inside of the wheel and narrow enough to fit in between the front brakes and the wheel. The brush also slips between the spoke perfectly. It is only $5 and the the entire interior surface of the wheels (not just the outer spokes) can be cleaned. Wheel wax helps the brake dust wash off more easily.
A washing mitt works great on the larger surfaces. It takes me as long to wash the wheels as it does to wash the rest of the car.
Click here for a photo (http://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/17524.phtml)

Mr Balsen
September 4th, 2006, 22:46
Originally posted by Fab
I just had a look to the Meguiar web site.

I found 2 products :

1) Nettoyant toutes jantes (le classique à appliquer avant lavage)
2) Polish tous métaux (application après lavage)

What do you recommend ? Both ? The second one seems very nice for exhaust pipes but for rims as well.

What is your suggestion ?

Fab,

Use the first one. Very good one.

But if you are as picky as I am, you remove the wheel from the car to clean properly.

You might even think to clean them one by one in the bathroom but your wife might be very upset ! ! !

Actually french wife - very upset just by the idea ! ! !

Cheers,
Frederic

DetailersDomain
September 5th, 2006, 06:08
Fab,

Use P21S Gel its great been using the stuff for a long time. Its expensive but in my opinion worth the money.

http://p21s.com/products/bis_wc1.html

I would also stay away from using the high pressure hose/water as it can cause damage in the future. It can cause your clear coat to get damaged and dull it as well.

After you clean the wheels, dry them and coat them with a synthetic wax/wax. This will make cleanning the wheels the next time easier provided you wash your car and wheel frequently.

Fab
September 5th, 2006, 07:59
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
Fab,

Use the first one. Very good one.

But if you are as picky as I am, you remove the wheel from the car to clean properly.

You might even think to clean them one by one in the bathroom but your wife might be very upset ! ! !

Actually french wife - very upset just by the idea ! ! !

Cheers,
Frederic I will have to buy a jacuzzi becaus I definitely can't replace my wife by the wheel, but if we can fit all 3 then why not :D :D :D Then I think I will have to sleep in my car for a while :argue:

I found a Swiss dealer for this brand so I will order it today.

Thanks to all of you guys for your tips.

:rs4kiss:

Fab
September 5th, 2006, 12:50
Originally posted by sparkhill
All you need is some automotive soap, water, and the Audi wheel brush (part number ZAW 911 630). The brush is long enough to reach the very back inside of the wheel and narrow enough to fit in between the front brakes and the wheel. The brush also slips between the spoke perfectly. It is only $5 and the the entire interior surface of the wheels (not just the outer spokes) can be cleaned. Wheel wax helps the brake dust wash off more easily.
A washing mitt works great on the larger surfaces. It takes me as long to wash the wheels as it does to wash the rest of the car.
Click here for a photo (http://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/17524.phtml) interesting this brush mmmm here I am facing a trade off between getting the right instrument to get my rims perfect and get double time to clean my car :D :D

Tuff decision:D but I think it is worth it as I love my baby :rs4kiss:

tazsura
September 5th, 2006, 13:04
It takes me as long to wash the wheels as it does to wash the rest of the car.

Hell yeh.

Also, I would recommend adding a layer of wax to the wheels also. The brake dust doesn't stick so much and the wheels 'bling' in the sunlight too! :cool2:

MR USER
September 5th, 2006, 13:47
I have been told that all these aggressive detergent for the brake dust are having a seriously bad impact on yout tyres.
They told me that it can really damage the compound of performance tyres.

I do not konw if true or not.... but just in case I take off the Wheels and whash them with a strong brush and loads of soap and water!

One question, do the ceramic brakes have such dust? is it as as nasty to get rid of?

IulianUM
September 5th, 2006, 15:17
I wash them by hand and a lot of time .
I think that the Audi R cars are not too clean .:hahahehe:

Congrats to Audi America .:race:

IulianUM
September 5th, 2006, 15:25
Almost forgot , I don´t know if the Ceramic Brakes are dusty , this is a pic of an S8 Ceramic Brake used heavy on a track (they cleaned the car all days , but not paying attention to the wheels , I think ) . Are the Ceramic brakes the same for the Rs4 ?:mech:

Julz RS4
September 5th, 2006, 17:35
I have multi-spoke wheels on my car and I always use a bottle of Eagleone All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. That is not expensive to test it. :D

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1003&cat=5005

davem82
September 5th, 2006, 18:58
hi fab,

i also use a power washer when cleaning my car but i find that rubbing it off regularly is the best idea, its not pretty and i've been using a cloth and some elbow grease to get it done but my rims are spotless. good luck with the cleaning, its alot harder to hose down the rims when its 20 below zero.

Fab
September 6th, 2006, 07:52
Originally posted by davem82
hi fab,

i also use a power washer when cleaning my car but i find that rubbing it off regularly is the best idea, its not pretty and i've been using a cloth and some elbow grease to get it done but my rims are spotless. good luck with the cleaning, its alot harder to hose down the rims when its 20 below zero. Well I easilly imagine... You are brave enough to think about cleaning your car in these conditions.