PDA

View Full Version : S3 vs A3 side by side pics

markwm
September 3rd, 2006, 16:34
I did some side by side pics of the new S3 and my own A3....

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/923810/an/0/page/0#923810

To those who don't understand some peoples dissapointment at the styling(or lack of) on the new S3 then I'm sure these pics will help you understand :-)

AndyBG
September 3rd, 2006, 17:07
IMHO, S3 is just wright. :s3addict:

Your A3 is S-line, ...?

roadrunner
September 3rd, 2006, 19:59
The S modells are always subtle - and the S3 is no different. And i think that is how it should be.

The one who know, wil recognize is even without badges (front bumper, grill, side scirts) :s3addict:

All the other, let them speculate or just think "what got into this A3" :D

Fab
September 3rd, 2006, 20:24
Your A3 is by far nor ridiculous vs the S3 they look very close. Interesting

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2006, 22:39
I believe the S3 suits some colours better than others. IMHO the grey does nothing for it when compared to the orange or white. I personally don't see that much of a difference between your A3 S-Line and the S3 apart form the front and inside only real difference is the seats and the optional steering wheel. At least with the S4, S6 and S8 they all came with carbon trim which can't be added to the lesser models.

I still think VW have done a better job with their Golf GTI especially when you compare the two in white. But I know which one I would like to own.:s3addict:

RacerBice
September 4th, 2006, 09:53
Well....as always, dark colours "hide" the key design input on a car. I for one have never understood why anyone would order S-Line exterior for a black or dark grey car, since the design of the air intakes and the rear diffusor becomes virtually invisible.

In other words, I would say that you should look at the two cars in bright colours. You would then notice a couple of distinct differences other than those already mentioned here. One of them is that the bottom edge of the side-skirts is swerved outwards on the S3, thus creating an entirely different impression of a down-force generating body than the regular A3 offers. The other is the rear, where the S3 design neutralises (and many thanks for that!) the less fortunate visual effect of the A3 that it is a rather high car. The rear bumper simply looks lower (although it isn't), and thus makes the entire car look lower from behind.

And honestly, I made my own comparison the other day between the official Audi pictures of a silver S3 and a silver A3 with S-Line exterior features. And the design of the S3 air-intakes is especially successful. I always thought the S-Line design was Audi's best effort so far, but really the S3 is miles better and more aggressive.

All in all, then, I agree with you, Leadie, that the differences are perhaps not that great. But they're there, and they work, and all Audi performance cars have always been subtle in design. And that's one of the reasons why we love them, isn't it? Although I think your A3 looks great and not very different, the S3 definitely looks even better.

My only objection to the new S3 design is that the chrome, vertical bars in the space frame don't work at all. They should have opted for the honey-comb design as in the air-intakes instead. I.e., like on the RS4.

RB

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2006, 10:13
RacerBice,

I agree that honeycomb would look better, but than you run into the problem of the S model stealing the thunder of the RS model because they would start to look too alike.

The best way to keep the difference is to have some paint colour and interior parts solely for the S models and the same for the RS models as well. This would make them all recognisable.

RacerBice
September 4th, 2006, 10:19
Originally posted by Leadfoot
RacerBice,

I agree that honeycomb would look better, but than you run into the problem of the S model stealing the thunder of the RS model because they would start to look too alike.

Yeah, you're right. It's still a pity, though....