PDA

View Full Version : First Drive in New TT

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2006, 21:56
On the 16th of September I will be getting my first drive in the new TT, as will a lot of potential customers in the UK, as this is the official launch date of the TT over here.

I hope the car lives up to the high expectations I have for it and is not a disappointment. Dealer says I will not be disappointed as he has drove it and was amazing by the improvement over not only the old TT but the A3 3.2L S-Line and the Golf R32. This might be just sales talk so will post my verdict either way shortly.

Has anyone in the group been fortunate enough to have drove the TT already?

Iceman
September 2nd, 2006, 08:05
No, the cars have just arrived in the Dutch showroom by the first of september.

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 2nd, 2006, 09:13
Originally posted by Iceman
No, the cars have just arrived in the Dutch showroom by the first of september.

Hans.

Hans,

With all your prior knowledge I think your bluffing. I won't be surprised that you were one of the key test drivers in the TT's development. :hihi:

But joking aside, it would be interesting to hear your findings on the TT, as you will be getting to drive it before me.

dibbe
September 3rd, 2006, 01:07
Hi!

I was at the local audi dealer today and got a testdrive of the new TT. And the judgement was, well... not as good as I hoped it would be. The comfort was ofcourse better than the old one and I really liked the drivers position, everything was within a good reach. But I did not like the power steering one bit at all. It was just to soft or light or however you want to describe as. And just because of that the car did not meet the high expectations that I had of it. But then again the testdrive only lasted about 20 min so I think that I have to evaluate the car more before I really make up my mind! All in all a good car and I would probably buy it despite the soft power steering.

/ Stefan

Iceman
September 3rd, 2006, 08:24
You reed everywhere about the power steering and that there is not enough feeling with the road through it.
Audi need to do something about that asap if so many people complain about it.

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2006, 10:04
dibbe,

I'm not sure possibly Hans might know, but I think the new TT has the same speed sensitive steering system that works like the one in my S4. If I'm right about this you will get use to it, but I agree in a sports oriented cars like the S4 and TT there's no place for a limp wristed steering.

But apart from this, how did the car perform and in what spec was it. Like was it a 3.2 or 2.0TFSi, did it have S-Tronic and was it equiped with Magnetic ride?

Fab
September 3rd, 2006, 10:18
I did not drive the new TT but owned a TT V6 Roadster DSG and it was a great car. But the V6 could have been a bit more punchy for the 250hp claimed. This is my only concern as this engine is re-scheduled in the TT mkII. But maybe the weight saving is the answer...

Interested to hear your comments.

P.S. To me the 2.0L turbo seems a better alternative. Especially with a nice reprog.:0: I've been driving the Golf GTI 2.0L turbo with DSG and been impressed by the punch of the engine and it's noise. Very nice engine with great tuning potential (I ordered one for my wife, delivery in November :D )

Iceman
September 3rd, 2006, 10:33
There is one problem with the 2.0T FSI it have no Quattro.
If you tune it you will have problems to get the power on the road especialy in the wet.

I believe the new TT have servotronic a new typ of electric power steering with speed sensitive controle.

Hans.

QuattroFun
September 3rd, 2006, 17:26
Me has driven the new 3.2Q DSG - it's quite okay, but stepping into it from my RS4 I was actually a bit disappointed power and speed aside. Yes, it is much lighter and perhaps a bit more nimble - but is also a lot less stable & planted and, surprisingly, also less precise & feelsome somehow. Maybe the DSG box had some part in it - contrary to all the praise, I was not that impressed with it. Actually, also had a ride in the FWD 2.0 TFSI manual and it felt better from the passenger seat when the road bended - more nimble, keen and precise than the slightly wooden 3.2Q. Dunno I had felt the same if I had driven it myself. Dunno if either car had magnetic ride - but if the 3.2 had it, then it is not nearly as good as I had expected. Go figure.

dibbe
September 3rd, 2006, 18:15
Sorry, forgot to mention which one I tested. I went for the 2.0TFSi with a manual gearbox and i did not have the magnetic ride thingy. Thats the one I most probaly would buy if I would to choose the new TT. But apart from the steering the car felt very good in the corners and I was impressed by the high speed you could have through the most tight corners! And the acceleration was comparable with the old 1.8T(180), perhaps a bit quicker. Not a huge diffrence.

And about the servotronic I thought of it when I was at the dealership but forgot to ask about it. But I really hope that it is possible to have that on the TT, perhaps thats the answer to the ligth steering? Sure hope so, If so I would purchase one immediate!

Iceman
September 3rd, 2006, 18:34
Originally posted by dibbe
And about the servotronic I thought of it when I was at the dealership but forgot to ask about it. But I really hope that it is possible to have that on the TT, perhaps thats the answer to the ligth steering? Sure hope so, If so I would purchase one immediate!
The new TT have alredy Servotronic.

Hans.

Fab
September 3rd, 2006, 20:22
There is one problem with the 2.0T FSI it have no Quattro.
If you tune it you will have problems to get the power on the road especialy in the wet.

I believe the new TT have servotronic a new typ of electric power steering with speed sensitive controle.

Hans. I think you can get the quattro with it. isn't it ?

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2006, 22:25
Originally posted by Fab
I think you can get the quattro with it. isn't it ?

At present there is no plans to put Quattro into the standard 2.0TFSi model. That is not to say that it won't be with it in the future, just not yet.

AndyBG
September 3rd, 2006, 22:33
IMHO, there will be 2.0 T quattro, it must be.

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2006, 22:45
Originally posted by AndyBG
IMHO, there will be 2.0 T quattro, it must be.

Yeah, but I think it will come with a S3 (265hp) engine first and then in the standard (200hp) model. Though by that time the 2.0TFSi will be kicking out 220-230hp, lovely.

dibbe
September 3rd, 2006, 22:53
The new TT have alredy Servotronic.

Hans.

Ok, but is that only on 3.2 or on the 2.0TFSi aswell? I´m a bit confused here. :vhmmm:

Leadfoot
September 3rd, 2006, 23:09
Originally posted by QuattroFun
Me has driven the new 3.2Q DSG - it's quite okay, but stepping into it from my RS4 I was actually a bit disappointed power and speed aside. Yes, it is much lighter and perhaps a bit more nimble - but is also a lot less stable & planted and, surprisingly, also less precise & feelsome somehow. Maybe the DSG box had some part in it - contrary to all the praise, I was not that impressed with it. Actually, also had a ride in the FWD 2.0 TFSI manual and it felt better from the passenger seat when the road bended - more nimble, keen and precise than the slightly wooden 3.2Q. Dunno I had felt the same if I had driven it myself. Dunno if either car had magnetic ride - but if the 3.2 had it, then it is not nearly as good as I had expected. Go figure.

QuattroFun,

Do you not feel you are being a little hard on the TT. If it even came close to the RS4 I would be over the moon, as it's £20K cheaper. The fact that you said it didn't feel as planted or nimble tells me you were driving the standard suspension car, as all reports say the magnetic ride is even better than the RS4. But you have to remember that with both the TT and the RS4 using different awd systems, the two cars will behave differently, I found it difficult to get use to the S4 after the TT, the point where you could get on the power through a bend was different, being later in the S4 than the TT. I wouldn't say any was any better, just different and the same will be said about the RS4 and the new TT.

Another point to remember, the TT you were driving was the equivalent to a A4 3.2 S-Line, not really a match for a RS4. We will have to wait for the TT-RS to see how the real thing will match up.

I'm not sure if to order my with DSG or not, the group is a little split on this, some for and like you some against. I will see soon enough for myself. I think I'll put up with the little less emotion of the DSG for the extra practicality of town driving and the better acceleration.

This is not me having a dip. It's just I not see how you can compare a TT to the king that is the RS4. But I value to comments.:thumb:

QuattroFun
September 4th, 2006, 18:20
Well, the intention was not to be too hard on the TT - it just that I had so high hopes having read the mags and the RS4 and Porsche 911s are the only benchmarks of even remotely similar size that I have experience of (never driven its main peers: Z4, Cayman, Boxster or SLK).

Yes, it is much cheaper than RS4 - but it is new technology, so much smaller, lower and lighter with its part-alloy chassis that I simply expected it to be much sharper than my heavy family saloon. For this reason, did not even mention 911 as the benchmark...

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2006, 20:49
Originally posted by QuattroFun
Well, the intention was not to be too hard on the TT - it just that I had so high hopes having read the mags and the RS4 and Porsche 911s are the only benchmarks of even remotely similar size that I have experience of (never driven its main peers: Z4, Cayman, Boxster or SLK).

Yes, it is much cheaper than RS4 - but it is new technology, so much smaller, lower and lighter with its part-alloy chassis that I simply expected it to be much sharper than my heavy family saloon. For this reason, did not even mention 911 as the benchmark...

Yeah,

I understand why your expectation what with the magazines giving it a glowing report. This was something that to be fair the RS4 didn't have.:eye:

Now stick with me on this. The previous RS and S model were good all round cars, but not at the top of their game when one talks about excitment or handling finesse, so with this in mind no one, including the motoring press expected what we got. Especially from what is a old tried chassis at the end of it's life span.

With the TT there was great expectations what with the mixed Alloy/Steel chassis, but regardless of this technology it's still basically a Golf and as such will perform in much the same way, if only a little sharper with your inputs. It's the other new technologies that are the real ticket to how well the TT has been received, it pains me the say this but without the new DRC system in the RS4 I doubt we would be all raving about it in the same way. And this is the same with the magnetic ride system for the TT, the basic chassis in the TT is a better starting point than the one the RS4 was developed from, so I have no fears that it will perform as well as the RS4 when this system is used.

Here is one for ICEMAN, I was asking today about the future TT and the dealer confirmed the up and coming diesel model which will use a 2.0TDi with an expected power output of 200hp. He also said that there will be a S-Line model, at which point I said yes you mean a body-kit. His reply was not this but a stand alone model with a 2.0TFSi engine producing more power, he was a bit sketchy as to whether it had fwd or quattro but this is the first time I have hear the S-Line describe this way.

What's your thoughts?

AndyBG
September 4th, 2006, 21:01
Originally posted by Leadfoot
. His reply was not this but a stand alone model with a 2.0TFSi engine producing more power, he was a bit sketchy as to whether it had fwd or quattro but this is the first time I have hear the S-Line describe this ....

There you go, that is 100% going to be quattro.

Leadfoot
September 4th, 2006, 21:28
Originally posted by AndyBG
There you go, that is 100% going to be quattro.

Andy,

A good salesman tells you what you want to hear. Unless Iceman or some of the other 'In the know' members of the group confirm this I will be sceptical about anything a dealer tell me.

But deep down I'm hoping he right.:D

AndyBG
September 5th, 2006, 00:38
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Andy,

A good salesman tells you what you want to hear. Unless Iceman or some of the other 'In the know' members of the group confirm this I will be sceptical about anything a dealer tell me.

But deep down I'm hoping he right.:D

You are completly wright, but i just can't belive that there isn't going to be TT with turbo engine and quattro, there is even A3 2.0 T quattro.

Leadfoot
September 5th, 2006, 09:10
I was just wondering what they will call the diesel version of the TT. Will it be the TT GT TDi Quattro or TT Di Quattro or will they just drop one of the Ts and call it the TDi:hihi:

Leadfoot
September 16th, 2006, 22:52
With it being the offical launch of the TT in the UK. Did anyone go to the dealers and get their first view of the car, alas I was busy but I'll be there the early half of the week for a drive.

Those of you that did get down today, what did you think of the car?