Detail:

http://linjin.mine.nu/albums/Ringen2006-Spy/IMG_4902.sized.jpg

What's this? New M3?

http://linjin.mine.nu/albums/Ringen2006-Spy/IMG_7260.sized.jpg

This is comic :D

http://linjin.mine.nu/albums/Ringen2006-Spy/IMG_7259.sized.jpg

Leadfoot
August 30th, 2006, 23:38
When you compare the pics of the R8 to the Gallardo, the Audi looks a good 6 inches narrower and about the same taller. It will be interesting to see if this is the case when the specs of the R8 are released.

It's interesting to see the first pics of the M3 in action. Looks a lot beefier than the standard 3 series coupe. I wonder if there is any times around the ring yet for either the R8 or the M3.

Here's hoping that the Audi betters the Beemer by quite a bit or all the hype will be for nothing. Some how I doubt that.:D By right the R8 should be even quicker than the Gallardo on which it's based, mainly because it using more up to date technology and construction techniques.

AndyBG
August 31st, 2006, 02:27
Looking litlte bit out-dated to me, more like nineties car...?

:confused:

chewym
September 1st, 2006, 04:15
I think it looks good. This is also the first pic of the interior. In the end it will look good, both inside and outside.

JavierNuvolari
September 1st, 2006, 15:42
Originally posted by AndyBG
Looking litlte bit out-dated to me, more like nineties car...?

:confused:

That might be because of the color, also remember that there will be some modifications to the exterior such as the headlights, so the looks hopefully will improve. I agree with you though(that it looks a bit outdated).

Cheers,

Javier

AndyBG
September 1st, 2006, 15:52
Originally posted by JavierNuvolari
That might be because of the color, also remember that there will be some modifications to the exterior such as the headlights, so the looks hopefully will improve. I agree with you though(that it looks a bit outdated...

Yuo are probably wright, but those rear lights are so 80's/90's looking, but i have to say that i kinda like them.... :D

Can't wait to see it in person...

QuattroFun
September 1st, 2006, 19:58
Well, looks good - but I for one do not see how the R8 could possibly beat the Gallardo on the track with similar - or lower - power and a softer/more daily road driver focus, which is likely to show up in less dynamic chassis tuning

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2006, 22:17
Originally posted by QuattroFun
Well, looks good - but I for one do not see how the R8 could possibly beat the Gallardo on the track with similar - or lower - power and a softer/more daily road driver focus, which is likely to show up in less dynamic chassis tuning

Why do you think that it will not be as good as the Gallardo. Firstly, it's built on newer technology, it might be down on power but if they are not going for the magic 200mph top speed it can be geared for better acceleration. Secondly there is no word on how the chassis has been set-up, it might have like the TT magnetic-ride suspension which will give all the comfort without a drop in dynamics.

The Gallardo chassis is only a starting point from which Audi built on, I will be surprised if the RS4 engined R8 doesn't match the time set by the Gallardo around the ring, even if it doesn't match it's performance figures.

QuattroFun
September 1st, 2006, 22:38
Well: I think it is very important to remember that the Gallardo is simply an astonishing track car although it is no real lightweight (despite alloy chassis). Consider this: in road trim it actually weighs nearly as much as the M6, has similar power and is in fact marginally slower than the M6 up to 200 km/h according to the tests. Yet, on the track, it simply slaughters the M6 even on regular street tyres when the M6 wears corsas.

Magnetic ride or no magnetic ride: the only way to justify a Gallardo and R8 under the same brand roof and with the latter being cheaper is to tune the R8 to be more comfortable, benign and safe (i.e. understeery) in hands like mine - this also includes 40%/60% torque split on AWD vs. 30%/70% in Gallardo. Yes, the R8 will surely be Audi's best track car but Gallardo is an extremely tough benchmark to beat and requires a real intent to do so.

Leadfoot
September 1st, 2006, 23:21
Originally posted by QuattroFun
Well: I think it is very important to remember that the Gallardo is simply an astonishing track car although it is no real lightweight (despite alloy chassis). Consider this: in road trim it actually weighs nearly as much as the M6, has similar power and is in fact marginally slower than the M6 up to 200 km/h according to the tests. Yet, on the track, it simply slaughters the M6 even on regular street tyres when the M6 wears corsas.

Magnetic ride or no magnetic ride: the only way to justify a Gallardo and R8 under the same brand roof and with the latter being cheaper is to tune the R8 to be more comfortable, benign and safe (i.e. understeery) in hands like mine - this also includes 40%/60% torque split on AWD vs. 30%/70% in Gallardo. Yes, the R8 will surely be Audi's best track car but Gallardo is an extremely tough benchmark to beat and requires a real intent to do so.

Granted it will be a tall order, but the benign and safe chassis set-up that most roadtester complain about is usually much quicker on the road because of this fact, benign and safe builds confidence. For us the non racing drivers, confidence will make the R8 quicker than a equally talented driven Gallardo. Remember the ring isn't a proper racing track like Monza or Silverstone, it a road with a road surface used by car manufacturer the world over to test their cars for the road. As such I believe the R8 will match the Gallardo around this course if not any other.

The difference between the set-up of the awd systems is less important than the way the two systems perform. The quattro I believe will be better than the Gallardo's in the slower corner where traction is more important, but will be at a disadvantage in the very fast corners where there are fewer of. The Quattro set-up will also produce a more neutral handling stance with it's 40/60 split than the more tail happy 30/70 split of the Lambo. The suspension and tyres determine how quickly a car corners and only neatness produces a quick lap time and this is what the R8 will be good at.

Hey, but this is only what I think and to tell you the truth, what would I know anyway.:brag:

QuattroFun
September 2nd, 2006, 08:39
Well, none of us knows so we will all just have to wait and see then - but, other things such as tyres and the drivers being equal, the quattro set-up and other chassis tuning of the R8 will probably be a disadvantage vs. Gallardo especially on slower and more twisty tracks like Hockenheim and maybe less so on more flowing or street-like tracks like Ring, although acceleration and top speed (which could be issues) are more important there. Of course, confidence and speed in our laymen's hands is one thing and actual talent of the car in the right hands another.

Iceman
September 2nd, 2006, 09:09
I like the looks of the blue Gallardo much better then the R8.
I even like the looks of the new TT better than the R8.

Hans.

tailpipe
September 2nd, 2006, 15:15
I really do not understand all the excitement about the new R8.

It is not much more than a re-badged Lamborghini Gallardo. Although it costs a lot less, for the same anticipated price you could by an Aston-Martin V8 Vantage instead.

The R8 is likely to depreciate considerably in the first year of ownership - look at all Lamborghinis. As much asi love Audis, i just don't think the badge stretches in this direction.

It's a bit like LAnd-Rover making a Sports Coupe or Porsche making an SUV. (Now that the initial excitement is over Cayenne saleshave fallen off acliff - they're stopping production until the facelifted model is ready, because of unsold stocks in dealer showrooms.)

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a new RS6 with a V-12 diesel and 600 bhp, thank you.

Having now written that, wait a moment while i put on my Nomex flame suit....

Leadfoot
September 2nd, 2006, 16:35
Originally posted by tailpipe
I really do not understand all the excitement about the new R8.

It is not much more than a re-badged Lamborghini Gallardo. Although it costs a lot less, for the same anticipated price you could by an Aston-Martin V8 Vantage instead.

The R8 is likely to depreciate considerably in the first year of ownership - look at all Lamborghinis. As much asi love Audis, i just don't think the badge stretches in this direction.

It's a bit like LAnd-Rover making a Sports Coupe or Porsche making an SUV. (Now that the initial excitement is over Cayenne saleshave fallen off acliff - they're stopping production until the facelifted model is ready, because of unsold stocks in dealer showrooms.)

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a new RS6 with a V-12 diesel and 600 bhp, thank you.

Having now written that, wait a moment while i put on my Nomex flame suit....

Welcome back Tailpipe, we hadn't hear from you for so long I thought you had fallen off the edge of the world.

I agree that it's a gamble by Audi when you consider how BMWs adventures into this price have been. Remember the Z8 and the CSL, the owners of these cars would prefer to forget them with the amount of money their lost. The big difference I see between both these and the R8 is that the CSL was a track-based M3 that was little quicker off the track but cost 50% more and the Z8 which was a cross between a old-school roadster and a supercars which was never going to sale.

The R8 is meant to sale for around £55K for the v8 engined model, but like the Aston Martin V8 Vantage which was to be £60K and ended up costing £80K it looks like the R8 will also cost way over the odds. The only saving grace is that the R8 will better the Porsche 997 S on every front, be it handling, performance and in my opinion looks. Something the Aston can only do in looks.

I ask you one question Tailpipe, would you prefer to put your money in a M6 or a R8? And please don't answer with a different choice.

Iceman
September 2nd, 2006, 16:45
BMW is planning a Z9 coupe'.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de//sixcms/media.php/10/Titel_120.165020.jpg

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 2nd, 2006, 20:08
Originally posted by Iceman
BMW is planning a Z9 coupe'.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de//sixcms/media.php/10/Titel_120.165020.jpg

Hans.

In my opinion, this is another BMW that will fall flat on it's face.:hihi: At least Audi make a supercar that looks like a supercar and not a big Z4 Coupe that's had an allergic reaction to a bee sting.:harass:

AndyBG
September 2nd, 2006, 22:23
Originally posted by Leadfoot
... At least Audi make a supercar that looks like a supercar and ...

And Merc' is making one, so...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/auto_und_produkte/mercedes_bmw_audi_neue_sport_offensive.123232.htm

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/fotoshows/mercedes_amg_sportwagen.123231.htm

chewym
September 3rd, 2006, 02:58
The MB one looks a lot like the R8, oh wait, maybe it is because the MB photoshop is a retouached R8 picture. I think the R8 will do fine, considering how pricey the 911 gets, the R8 should definately outperform the 911 S and cost about the same.

chewym
September 3rd, 2006, 02:59
The MB one looks a lot like the R8, oh wait, maybe it is because the MB photoshop is a retouached R8 picture. I think the R8 will do fine, considering how pricey the 911 gets, the R8 should definately outperform the 911 S and cost about the same.

chewym
September 3rd, 2006, 03:00

tailpipe
September 5th, 2006, 23:03
Welcome back Tailpipe, we hadn't hear from you for so long I thought you had fallen off the edge of the world.

I ask you one question Tailpipe, would you prefer to put your money in a M6 or a R8? And please don't answer with a different choice.

R8 no question. But the point of my thread is that i would go with a different choice for that money. I am looking forward to seeing how R8 compares to Aston-Martins, Porsches, and new Lexus LF-A. As for M6: What an ugly heap of expensive rubbish.

(Sorry to have been absent, but Mrs Tailpipe just gave birth to little Tailpipe junior, (4.05 litres.. sorry kgs). Our first lad. For once, cars had to come second!

Leadfoot
September 5th, 2006, 23:12
R8 no question. But the point of my thread is that i would go with a different choice for that money. I am looking forward to seeing how R8 compares to Aston-Martins, Porsches, and new Lexus LF-A. As for M6: What an ugly heap of expensive rubbish.

(Sorry to have been absent, but Mrs Tailpipe just gave birth to little Tailpipe junior, (4.05 litres.. sorry kgs). Our first lad. For once, cars had to come second!

Well done, to yourself and the misses. How do you know it was a boy, :vhmmm: two airbags and an exhaust pipe.

Back to the R8, I think the car will be better than the Aston and the Lexus, I just can't see the Lexus being anything more than a luxury GT. The Porsche will be a different matter and even if it does beat the 997, with Porsche looking more than like to take control of VAG, I doubt they will let the R8 live long enough to see a MK2 version.

SoCal
September 6th, 2006, 02:49
Tailpipe: Congrats on the new arrival!!!

As for the R8, we'll have to wait and see. Still not likely to dent Porsche's sales figures too much, I suspect.

AndyBG
September 6th, 2006, 04:06
...(Sorry to have been absent, but Mrs Tailpipe just gave birth to little Tailpipe junior, (4.05 litres.. sorry kgs). Our first lad. For once, cars had to come second!

Congrat's... !

tailpipe
September 6th, 2006, 11:44

Back to the R8, I think the car will be better than the Aston and the Lexus, I just can't see the Lexus being anything more than a luxury GT. The Porsche will be a different matter and even if it does beat the 997, with Porsche looking more than like to take control of VAG, I doubt they will let the R8 live long enough to see a MK2 version.

I don't know whether Porsche will take control of Volkswagen, but i hope they do. it would be a sensible move in my opinion. The 911 really is a tractor and is so old that surely the time has come to pension it off? in many ways the R8 is the car porsche should have built a long time ago. (i might not have much time for the 911, but I think the Cayman is amazing; no other car costing the same price comes near it in terms of the driving experience.)

Although a bit cynical about the R8, I think Audi will ultimately do a great job. One question: After Martin Winterkorn publicly said it would be a 2+2, it now seems that it will be a two-seater? Is this correct?

The Lexus LF-A is shaping-up to a great car. it will have a front mid-engine configuration rather than a rear mid-engine. Did you see the Autocar article on it? Hybrid supercar that is cool.

If Audi gives the R8 a V12 diesel, this could be the one to have. imagine 200 mph and 25-30 mpg. You could drive from London to the South of France on a single tank of gas. Cool.

Fab
September 6th, 2006, 11:59

(Sorry to have been absent, but Mrs Tailpipe just gave birth to little Tailpipe junior, (4.05 litres.. sorry kgs). Our first lad. For once, cars had to come second! Welcome back Tailpipe and congratulation !

A long absence but for a very good reason.

:bye:

Erik
September 6th, 2006, 12:09
Congratulations Tailpipe, we're due February. :thumb:

IulianUM
September 6th, 2006, 23:17
Congratulations to both of you . :bye:

Leadfoot
September 7th, 2006, 00:06
I don't know whether Porsche will take control of Volkswagen, but i hope they do. it would be a sensible move in my opinion. The 911 really is a tractor and is so old that surely the time has come to pension it off? in many ways the R8 is the car porsche should have built a long time ago. (i might not have much time for the 911, but I think the Cayman is amazing; no other car costing the same price comes near it in terms of the driving experience.)

I have a problem with Porsche controlling VAG and here's my opinions on why I think so.

1: Every time two companies join there is always ones that suffer and by this I mean Lamborghini. Under Audi, Lamborghini has finally been able to give Ferrari a run for it money for the first time in years. But I can't believe that Porsche would allow Lamborghini the to stay in the group, what this it being a competitor, unless Porsche's future plan are not to extend it's own range up in to Lamborghini price bracket. This might be a possibility as Porsche seems to be extending into more classes in and around the same price as their current models and might even move drop into the A3/Golf size. But even so, Lamborghini future would still look shakily.

2: Everyone know including Porsche that the 911's day is done, but still here it is after 40 years. They have tried to replace it a few times now and every time they have tried it has almost bankrupted them. With 40 years of design it still basically looks the same, hell even the most basic of things like a pair of glasses have changed more than that. So the forward thinking designs of Audi would not advance in the same way.

3: Will Audi be there at all. If Porsche was looking at extending their range of cars downwards, surely all they would need would be VW to be their cheaper produce and Porsche would replace Audi as the premium produce with the sportier design and driving style, the position that Audi currently hold.

I believe Porsche involvement with VAG is a good thing up to a point, with VAG benefiting from technology sharing and using Porsche's knowledge in chassis and engines development and Porsche benefiting from other possible joint model development like what was done with the Toureg/Cayenne to help it extend it's range and help offset costs, but nothing else.

P.S.

I too think the Cayman is the best Porsche to date. And if Porsche ever want to the nail in the coffin of the 911, then take the Cayman to the next level of handling and power, give it a LSD and a pair of turbos. I don't think there would be to many buyers for the 911 then.