PDA

View Full Version : MTM France Supercharger...

boondocksts
August 29th, 2006, 22:43
Does anyone have any more info on the supercharger that MTM france was putting on an RS4 a few months ago? I remember there was a picture of two, but no other information or anything.

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2006, 22:52
Actually, this is a project at MTM Headquarter in Ingolstadt, Germany.

The pictures are titled MTM France, because they are available from french importer (me :race: :race:) web site.

Anyway, The RS4 V8 MTM Kompressor is still under developpement. As soon as I have any news from MTM folks, I will post them here right away.

Cheers,
Frederic

dxben
August 31st, 2006, 07:46
I hate to sound pesamistic because I would like nothing more than to pull out a check for $20k+ and put a SC in my RS4 but I get the bad feeling that these things will never make it stateside.

Is there a viable SC here for the B7 S4? Where is APRs? I just can't believe how bad the aftermarket tuning has been for B7 S4s and sure to be RS4s, compared to AMG cars.

Wth is going on? Hurry up already!

:mech: :vgrumpy:

Mr Balsen
August 31st, 2006, 10:06
MTM has done a supercharger for the S4 B7. Up to 500hp.

It is more and more complicated to do high end kit for modern engine.

Cheers,
Frederic

AndyBG
August 31st, 2006, 14:16
And there was some blue B6 S4 cabrio with MTM supercharger, developing 500 bhp, fantastic car, what a SOUND ! :revs:

boondocksts
August 31st, 2006, 18:11
Originally posted by dxben
I hate to sound pesamistic because I would like nothing more than to pull out a check for $20k+ and put a SC in my RS4 but I get the bad feeling that these things will never make it stateside.

Is there a viable SC here for the B7 S4? Where is APRs? I just can't believe how bad the aftermarket tuning has been for B7 S4s and sure to be RS4s, compared to AMG cars.

Wth is going on? Hurry up already!

:mech: :vgrumpy: there is a car in the US that recently had the MTM stuff installed. i think the apr and awe kits are coming out pretty soon, 2 weeks i heard. :p

Mr Balsen
August 31st, 2006, 18:34
Voila:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Features/brainpower.jpg

full article is here:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_2452.shtml

Cheers,
Frederic

AndyBG
September 1st, 2006, 00:57
Frederi,

do you maybe have some pic's or video of that blue B6 S4 cabrio with MTM supercharger kit on it...?

dxben
September 1st, 2006, 03:24
Originally posted by boondocksts
there is a car in the US that recently had the MTM stuff installed. i think the apr and awe kits are coming out pretty soon, 2 weeks i heard. :p

You mean an S4? You're not suggesting there is an RS4 in the US w/MTM SC are you?

Not that I wouldn't love to believe it.

boondocksts
September 1st, 2006, 17:10
You mean an S4? You're not suggesting there is an RS4 in the US w/MTM SC are you?

Not that I wouldn't love to believe it. S4, sorry i wasnt clear about that. Someone posted the like a few posts above this one.

Mr Balsen
September 1st, 2006, 19:50

There is only one RS4 with MTM SC and it is at Ingolstadt, in Roland Mayer's garage;

cheers,
Frederic

dxben
September 2nd, 2006, 03:29
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
There is only one RS4 with MTM SC and it is at Ingolstadt, in Roland Mayer's garage;

cheers,
Frederic

Well tell him to clone it please and ship one right over!

Seriously though, I suppose you're not going to give us any insights on when we might see this in production?

welbo
September 4th, 2006, 11:04
Hi all,

Last Sat, Audi Singapore had a joint event with MTM in Singapore. Managed to speak to Mr Wolfgang from MTM and was informed that the MTM Supercharger Kit is still "work in progress" for the B7 RS4. Most of the mechanical stuffs are already up and running. Whats need to be done is the ECUs in the car. Appparantly, the new RS4 have 2 ECUs instead of one and each ECUs manage a bank of 4 cyclinders. MTM still need more time to overcome this obstacles.:mech:

Mr Wolfgang shared with us that the likely power output will be in the region of 550bhp and 560-600Nm with the SC doing about 0.3 to 0.4bar boost. !:bow:However, one thing for sure, you will need a new carbon fibre bonnet from MTM as the current bonnet cannot close with the SC on top of the engine!:cry:

Estimated cost will be about 20,000 Euros inclusive of labour if anyone here is keen.

ps: Pls do not quote me, I just share what was in the conversation. Anyway, till date, MTM has "not officially" announce anything on the B7 RS4 SC yet! :)

Cheers!
:rs4addict

Mr Balsen
September 4th, 2006, 11:13
All correct informations except Mr Wolfgang is conservative about the output.

For the bonnet, it is also very true. You can see on the current prototype, MTM had to cut the hood because of the SC:

http://www.mtmfrance.com/reportages/2006/Hockenheim/DSC00081.jpg

Not very beautifull but very practical on a prototype.

Cheers,
Frederic

dxben
September 4th, 2006, 16:59
That is awesome to hear that the mechanical stuff is done, I thought (perhaps in my automotive ignorance) that it would be the hardest part.

Gosh, if the SC could get this car to just 510bhp, I would think the full exhaust and ECU would take it the rest of the way to 550 or close to it no?

My two major questions are:

1) How much does this add to front weight distribution?

2) What effect does the added front weight have on the car's already fine-tuned handling?

And a bonus question:

3) Does anyone think that in the end the hood protusion will still be necessary?

For me the hood protrusion is a giveaway that there is a blower under the hood and I'm pretty sure I would opt out of such a mod. I want sleeper status to be retained :)

Go MTM! You cannot finish fast enough! :)

:wo:

Mr Balsen
September 4th, 2006, 19:20
Off course all the mechanical stuff is done because the RS4 MTM Kompressor is running since the Tuner Grand Prix at Hockenheim (4th of June 2006). MTM has been working since on the ECUs and it is not the easiest job by far ! ! ! !

Cheers,
Frederic

Fab
September 4th, 2006, 20:40
sorry guys I don't want to kill the subject but what is the point of supercharging the RS4 V8 :confused:

I fully understand that the tuners like MTM have to show their capabilities to their customers and also have fun with such cars on various track days. There no doubt about this and I fully respect that of course. This is also the way to go forward in the automotive world.

But frankly why a private owner would go for this ? The RS4 V8 is a naturally aspirated awsome engine and has to be enjoyed this way. If you want to get +550ps just wait for the RS6.

This is of course my opinion and you may disagree. But to me the RS4 is just perfect as it is. Yes it is not the most powerfull car in its league and can be theatened by some other cars... and so what ? This is my choice and I like my beast as it is:rs4kiss: :rs4kiss: :rs4kiss: :rs4kiss:

P.S. I would not refuse a nice exhaust though :D

Mr Balsen
September 4th, 2006, 21:01
Nice MTM exhaust for RS4 V8 is already available...

I think people are interested in SC or any power upgrade because they want to keep their cars but with the power of the bigger one. It means people wants to have the power of the RS6 in the RS4 but not a car as big as the RS6.

Cheers,
Frederic

Fab
September 4th, 2006, 21:07
Well to me it is a non sens as you loose all the caractere of the RS4 through its incredible N/A engine.

But everybody goes for what he wants.

P.S. I have been looking at the various available exhaust for the RS4 V8 (especially the Miltek one which is very nice looking) I am very interested in an exhaust but I want some extra power out of it (up to 20hp is fine) but keep the same tailpipe style and a noise close to the original sound of the car. Is this possible through MTM ?

dxben
September 4th, 2006, 23:04
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
Nice MTM exhaust for RS4 V8 is already available...

I think people are interested in SC or any power upgrade because they want to keep their cars but with the power of the bigger one. It means people wants to have the power of the RS6 in the RS4 but not a car as big as the RS6.

Cheers,
Frederic

Yeah that sums it up perfectly. How much character of the current engine would you use? Its not like you're adding a Turbo which introduces more lag, and the resposniveness of the stock engine is already amazing and will do the job until the SC kicks in?

I dunno, nice to have the extra power, especially in the face of the new M3 and the M5 :)

welbo
September 5th, 2006, 03:11
My main concern is the added weight that will be introduced to the front of the car esp. way infront of the car front wheel. This will definitely unbalance the superb handling of the stock RS4. The weight of the whole upgrade kit will be in the region of 50-80kg. This is bad news for the already front heavy B7 RS4.

:rs4addict

MR USER
September 5th, 2006, 14:07
Why everyone keeps on insisting on the BHP figure?
Why MTM does not come out with a way of saving weight substantially?

Would it not be better to save 400/500 kg and keep the same specs than getting 200 bhp more and highering the total weight?

Has anyone here ever tryed what 150 bhp do when you drive a car of 350 kg? I can tell you is just insane!!!

Mr Balsen are you aware of MTM diet programs for our Cars? v(something more substantial than a bonnet in CF)

I would gladly spend my money on that than on a 20k supercharger!

Just to be clear with 420 bhp and 1700 kg the rs4 has 4.0 kg per horse to push around. With a 400 kg diet you get to have 3 kg per horse... this means performances F430 alike! (considering 30.000 Euro investment on the diet it would still be 60k off the price the Ferrari)

IulianUM
September 5th, 2006, 15:33
Agree with you MR USER , but this is extremely difficult . Saving 100-150 Kg should made a difference too , MTM engineers you have a chalenge here .:mech:

Fab
September 5th, 2006, 15:38
For shure more than 100-150kg diet while keeping RS4 standard confort is impossible. There must be a trade off between (significant) weight saving and confort and gadgets.

Well to me the 997 GT3 is the good compromise :king: don't you ?

Mr Balsen
September 5th, 2006, 17:46
Originally posted by MR USER
Why everyone keeps on insisting on the BHP figure?
Why MTM does not come out with a way of saving weight substantially?

Would it not be better to save 400/500 kg and keep the same specs than getting 200 bhp more and highering the total weight?

Has anyone here ever tryed what 150 bhp do when you drive a car of 350 kg? I can tell you is just insane!!!

Mr Balsen are you aware of MTM diet programs for our Cars? v(something more substantial than a bonnet in CF)

I would gladly spend my money on that than on a 20k supercharger!

Just to be clear with 420 bhp and 1700 kg the rs4 has 4.0 kg per horse to push around. With a 400 kg diet you get to have 3 kg per horse... this means performances F430 alike! (considering 30.000 Euro investment on the diet it would still be 60k off the price the Ferrari)

MTM has already done an RS6 Clupsport with a weight of 1500 kilos. I can only say an RS4 V8 Clubsport project is possible at MTM......

Cheers,
Frederic

MR USER
September 5th, 2006, 18:54
Can your little finger tell us more?

Fab
September 6th, 2006, 07:49
The RS6 clubsport of course said bye bye to all possible confort items, rear seats and so on which is a bit to extreme. Very nice car a perf though.

It also can be that the RS4 plus will be focusing on weight reduction and therefore deliver a more hard core RS.