PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on S8

jjdnyc
August 29th, 2006, 03:17
Guys

I am an Audi newbie. Was all set to oder an M5 and I am now considering an S6/ S8. I have come around to the view that I will get a lot more useable, accesible power out of an S than the M, which while awesome lacks the low end torque of the Audis. I am not going to be tracking this thing or worring about 1/4 mile times etc.

initially I assumed the S6 was the logical alternative (and yes I realise the RS6 will be more in the M5 performance league) but I am concerned about reports on the ride quality (living in NYC and driving an M3 I know what that is all about) and I have to say I think the S8 looks a lot better.

I would welcome any thoughts on this and also, are there likely to be S8 allocations available this Fall or are they all spoken for (again I am a neophyte).

Thanks in advance

JD

Skaala
August 29th, 2006, 11:41
Go for the S8. I can only imagine how good it is. I drive the car it is vastly based on, the 4.2 A8, and I love it!. Look better than any BMW. You also get Quattro which means you can be out cruising in a NY blizzard.:)

Erik
August 29th, 2006, 11:42
Go for the S8, but it's a bit slower than the W12 ;)

jjdnyc
August 29th, 2006, 12:19
Tak så myket till ni både... (hope I got that right)

I am going to talk to some dealers today to figure out availability

Leadfoot
August 29th, 2006, 12:33
Originally posted by Erik
Go for the S8, but it's a bit slower than the W12 ;)

It maybe a little slow, but with the lighter engine it's handling would be better even without the sportier suspension setting and all reports are it has better ride quality as well.

jjdnyc
August 29th, 2006, 13:12
Originally posted by Leadfoot
It maybe a little slow, but with the lighter engine it's handling would be better even without the sportier suspension setting and all reports are it has better ride quality as well.

For me it was also be the looks of the S8 and the exhaust note. Not to mention the cost... But, wait, are you saying the S8 has better ride quality than the W12?

LIRS6
August 29th, 2006, 14:27
See an earlier post wherein someone commented (raved) about their new S8. I have only sat in one (an Audi promotion in May) - the car was mesmerizing. Sitting in the driver's seat, it was the perfect blend of sport in an elegant package ... or was it elegance in a sport package? :love2:

AndyBG
August 29th, 2006, 14:30
S8, all the way...

Tenks
August 29th, 2006, 14:40
The previous S8 was/is an awesome car so I can't even imagine what the new one feels like. For me there would be no other option. My favourite car.:thumb:

roadrunner
August 29th, 2006, 15:00
Although I would prefer the S6 - the S8 seems to be the better option for yoo, as you have bad roads and the S8 has air suspension.

Besides this, you cannot go wrong with either one.

Good luck on your decision, I am sure you will not regret it :D

Ruergard
August 29th, 2006, 15:37
S8 all week long. Awesome car, great sound from the engine and the comfort is amazing! :thumb:

Leadfoot
August 29th, 2006, 15:38
Originally posted by jjdnyc
For me it was also be the looks of the S8 and the exhaust note. Not to mention the cost... But, wait, are you saying the S8 has better ride quality than the W12?

Yep, every report so far says the S8 is the best riding A8 on sale today. It's something to do with the fact that it was set-up for British roads instead of Germany's smooth ones.

Kev.S
August 30th, 2006, 20:15
As promised- a write-up about my S8. There's no point in repeating what numerous road tests have said about it, but rather, this a look from a former RS6 owner's point of view.

Perhaps the most obvious difference is in the ride. I'd got used to my RS6's jarring ride over poor roads, happy to accept this in return for such good handling and was immediately struck by how smooth the S8 was in comparison. Gone were the bangs and rattles and muffled "oofs" from passengers as yet another pothole tried to loosen my teeth. Instead, the S8 takes these in its stride. Yes, you still know you've driven over a great hole in the road, but less violently so and very little seems to deflect the car from your chosen course, when at times the RS6 seemed to jump to the side after hitting such bumps.

Sweeping, bumpy B roads were another surprise. Initially, I thought the S8 was just travelling slower than the RS6 until I looked at the speedo and then backed off rapidly before I got a complaint from the passenger seat. The car devours this sort of road with so little drama and if the windows are closed, a lot less noise than the RS6, the standard double-glazing removing much of the road and engine noise. If you'd asked me to estimate my speed I'd have put it 20-30 mph slower than it actually was. This is a car to lose your licence in one fell swoop if you're not careful as three figures feels like a mildly illegal two!

The S8 appears to handle brows and compressions a lot better than the RS6, feeling in touch with the road at all times and even though it's a heavier car, turns in better- probably down to the 40/60 split. There is far less understeer booting it out of a roundabout than in the RS6, which sometimes felt determined not to turn at all. It's no sports car though and would be eaten alive by an RS4.

The RS6 was quicker in a straight line, but it's a close run thing and in the 'real world', as opposed to the drag strip, there's very little in it, with the S8 more than adequate. The sound of the big V10 is absolutely great. My wife used to think the RS6 growled when revved, but reckons the S8 roars like some sort of large furry beast (the type with manes and claws).

As far as comfort goes, the S8 wins. Not that the RS6 was uncomfortable, but having just done 1400 miles of motorway and Scottish Highland A/B roads in the last three days I couldn't fault the S8. It's whisper quiet when you're cruising along, but gets your attention when you lean on the right pedal. Even six hours behind the wheel without a break weren't tiring. In the first few days I didn't like the feel of the accelerator, which is far less sensitive then the RS6's and was either pulling away too slowly or too quickly. Happily, I've got used to it now and don't notice the difference.

It comes with lots of toys as standard, but the one I've appreciated most is the TCM (Traffic Control Messages) which automatically re-directs you round traffic hold-ups.

Kev.S
August 30th, 2006, 20:16
Can't seem to get more than one pic at a time.

Kev.S
August 30th, 2006, 20:17
Third and final pic. Will try to get some interior night shots next week.

Skaala
August 30th, 2006, 20:21
yes, that TCM is wonderful. Too bad it doesn't work in Norway, but I do drive a lot down in Europe, and on the Autobahn, it's your best friend=) congrats on the new car!

Leadfoot
August 30th, 2006, 20:31
Kev.S,

The car is beautiful, sporty looking in a very stately way if you know what I mean. I must admit that I was in your shoes it would be the car I would pick over all others, including all those quicker AMGs and that Italian upstart with 4 doors.

One question, is it any harder on juice than the RS6?

Kev.S
August 30th, 2006, 20:34
Originally posted by Leadfoot

One question, is it any harder on juice than the RS6?

Round town, when cold- awful! On a run 23-24 mpg.

Leadfoot
August 30th, 2006, 22:44
Originally posted by Kev.S
Round town, when cold- awful! On a run 23-24 mpg.

Bummer.:rolleyes: Your silver linings on all this is the fact that the no quicker W12 would have been even worse.:D

audirs6.ch
August 30th, 2006, 23:25
I saw the new S8 last week, behind the Opera in Zurich (Switzerland). It looks so great, there are no words. And the one I saw had the Audi ceramic brakes and the B&O Sound System

Here are the pics:

http://www.audirs6.ch/rs6_com/s8v10_1.jpg

http://www.audirs6.ch/rs6_com/s8v10_2.jpg

http://www.audirs6.ch/rs6_com/s8v10_3.jpg

AndyBG
August 31st, 2006, 01:25
Kev,

Great looking car, congrat's...!

jjdnyc
August 31st, 2006, 03:06
Kev

Thanks for the write up and pics. You have one of the best looking cars on the planet. DId you get the B&O stereo? The ceramic brakes?

In the space of 4 days I have gone from a dead cert M5 buyer to about to place an order for an S8. I'll be getting the Daytona Grey you got - what colour interior did you go for? I am thinkig about the Amaretto brown

Congrats and thanks again.

JD

jjdnyc
August 31st, 2006, 03:07
Originally posted by audirs6.ch
I saw the new S8 last week, behind the Opera in Zurich (Switzerland). It looks so great, there are no words. And the one I saw had the Audi ceramic brakes and the B&O Sound System

Here are the pics:

http://www.audirs6.ch/rs6_com/s8v10_1.jpg

http://www.audirs6.ch/rs6_com/s8v10_2.jpg

http://www.audirs6.ch/rs6_com/s8v10_3.jpg

I was in Zurich last week - noticed quite a number of S cars there and in Switzerland generally, actually. Great pics.

nyc123
November 25th, 2006, 01:26
I am a previous RS6 owner and I loved that car more than almost any other car I have owned and I have tried them all. My current daily driver is a brabus tuned sl55 which is a great car but the benz suspension is a bit too soft for me and I woul like a 4 door car. I have been considering the m5 for a couple months but there is just something missing in that car. I saw and drove the s8 last week and it was just pure perfection. I was able to locae a couple cars and picking one up tomorrow. Only decision is daytona grey w/ two tone black.silver or phantom black with all black interior. i would prefer daytona grey with all black but it's not an option. I loved daytona grey on my rs6 as it's easy to keep clean just trying to decide if I will get sick of the two tone interior.