View Full Version : diesel

gjg
August 24th, 2006, 07:06
here we go ...

http://www.mbusa.com/campaigns/alternative-fuels/index.do

whre is TDI for Q for US ??? :doh:

AndyBG
August 24th, 2006, 13:06
I think that VAG is waiting to see if Merc' is going to ''broke its teeth'' with its diesel program in US, if all goes well, they will ''jump'' in.

gjg
August 24th, 2006, 15:12
there is nothing to break .... just bring it in. I guess the DOT approvals are also a time comsuming issue.

Q7 with 3.0 TDI would be ideal for US market :bow:

AndyBG
August 24th, 2006, 15:29
That car is ideal for every country in the world, but interesting thing is that i don't see too many americans ''crying'' about not having diesels on offer...

Do you?

Just look at this forum, Ben is exeption, OF COURSE....

gjg
August 24th, 2006, 17:19
driving in US - absolutely

Benman
August 24th, 2006, 19:51
Originally posted by gjg
here we go ...

http://www.mbusa.com/campaigns/alternative-fuels/index.do

whre is TDI for Q for US ??? :doh:

Sucks...

Read the fine print though... "The 2007 E320 BLUETEC, ML320 CDI, and R320 CDI do not meet the emissions requirements of California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, or Vermont and are not available in these states."

So even if I wanted a Merc (which I don't) I can't buy the thing here anyway cause of all the dang tree huggers that live in my state. Sucks. Supposedly, Mercedes will have the CDIs compliant with the 2008 standards which is the rumored time that Audi will bring the TDI Q7 to the States. I'm not holding my breath though...

Meanwhile, Tesla, which just came out with their sports car (a modded Lotus http://teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1) is working on a four door to be available by the same time. Might check it out.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

Benman
August 24th, 2006, 21:07
From Fourtitude:

"GENEVA – Audi AG expects to sell its diesel-powered Q7 cross/utility vehicle in the U.S. by 2008, the auto maker says.

This move represents an aggressive powertrain-development push for Audi, which already has committed to a Q7 hybrid-electric vehicle launch in the same timeframe.

Critical to the diesel’s rollout is the development of an exhaust after-treatment system, Wolfgang Hatz, executive director-powertrain development, tells Ward's.

Audi engineers are about two years away from nailing an execution of after-treatment technology that, in concert with low-sulfur diesel fuels, will enable the European Q7’s 3.0L V-6 diesel to meet stringent U.S. federal emissions standards and, more importantly, those in California.

Thanks largely to exhaust gas re-circulation technology, the smooth-running engine already meets standards in 45 states, Hatz says. But the projected return on diesel-powered Q7 sales in those markets is insufficient to warrant a launch at this time.

Audi Q7 3.0L V-6 TDI
“In the end, it has to be 50 states,” Hatz says, noting California accounts for 40% of Audi’s U.S. sales, the largest share of any market outside of Europe.

Through February, Audi’s ’06 model-year sales were up 10.8% in the U.S. Deliveries totaled 34,300, compared with year-ago’s 30,951, according to Ward's data.

“We have decided to bring the diesel to the U.S. when we are fulfilling all emission regulations,” Hatz says. “Priority No.1 is (the) Q7.”

The turbocharged diesel belongs to a new family of V-engines and features piezo injectors. It generates 230 hp and 369 lb.-ft. (500 Nm) of torque, which is available at 1,400 rpm.

The CUV, which shares a platform with the Volkswagen Touareg and Porsche Cayenne, is expected in U.S. showrooms by June, a spokesman for Audi of America Inc. says. To date, Audi dealers have taken about 1,000 orders, he adds.

The auto maker expects U.S. annual sales of about 35,000 units.

The Q7 already has launched in Europe. Production for the North American market began last month. The CUV is built in Bratislava, Slovakia, alongside the Touareg and Cayenne.

The Q7 starts at $49,900."

So they're waiting till it can be sold in
all 50 States.

gjg
August 24th, 2006, 22:20
Originally posted by Benman

So even if I wanted a Merc (which I don't) I can't buy the thing here anyway cause of all the dang tree huggers that live in my state.

I'll buy and tag it for you in WVa ... we also have these tree huggers there, only difference is they are hanging down of those trees ... :applause:

Benman
August 25th, 2006, 00:49
Originally posted by gjg
I'll buy and tag it for you in WVa ... we also have these tree huggers there, only difference is they are hanging down of those trees ... :applause: :applause: :applause: :thumb:

chewym
August 29th, 2006, 09:22
Apparently Audi has a 45 state diesel, same with Mb (without AdBlue that the EPA isn't fond of) However, Audi should still work to get its 50 state diesels here before the competition. Otherwise the whole R10 advertising/research campaign is waisted and actually helps out the competitors.

Benman
August 29th, 2006, 16:37
Originally posted by chewym
Apparently Audi has a 45 state diesel, same with Mb (without AdBlue that the EPA isn't fond of) However, Audi should still work to get its 50 state diesels here before the competition. Otherwise the whole R10 advertising/research campaign is waisted and actually helps out the competitors.

I could not agree with you more. I know exactly how you feel. Audi is big time missing a golden opportunity here. They knew their R10 was going to be a successfull program (why else would they spend so much $$$?) so why not have the forsight to have the diesels ready to match the market introduction. Car manufactures get the "heads up" from government officials before hand so they knew in advance what the diesel requirements would be... would have been nice for them to have gotten them here by now instead of still one or two years out...

Benman
August 31st, 2006, 01:16
Update: People are saying that the Audis will not be available until calendar year 2008, not model year. Although I'm pretty sure most already know this, it means two more years with zero diesels.:(

Speaking of no more diesels... this link shows why CA will not get even Merc diesels for Model Year 2007 (or maybe even MY2008!):

http://bioage.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/e320.png

Close, but no cigar!

With that said, I only have one more additonal year to wait (MY2010) till this comes out: http://www.loremo.com/index_en.php

No, it's no Q7, but then, the wife will already have hers.:D This little guy would make a great little commuter (80 miles round trip) for me. Not much pep, but 150+mpg ain't too shabby.:D :thumb:

s42ski
September 9th, 2006, 19:08
Ben, just remember the Telsa has Lithium Ion batteries... just like the ones that have been catching fire in Dell computers....

OK - I do not know if they are the same battery, but the electric car that Telsa is producing should be an interesting ride - hte problem for me is I am way too tall to fit in the thing - A friend of mine got a Lotus and there is no way I could use it as a daily driver, to say nothing of getting run over by the Excursion's and Expedition's on LA freeways !

Steve

Benman
September 11th, 2006, 18:59
Originally posted by s42ski
Ben, just remember the Telsa has Lithium Ion batteries... just like the ones that have been catching fire in Dell computers....
Recently, all XJ Jag sales have been put on hold (check Autoweek for VIN) due to fuel tank leaks... Me thinks that is every bit as dangerous... :D . My point, wouldn't stop a guy from buying a Jag (or maybe it would :D).

Originally posted by s42ski
the problem for me is I am way too tall to fit in the thing
Steve

Martin Eberhard developed this car with Lotus and actually made that exact thing one of his focuses. Remember, even though it's a Lotus, it's a heavily moddified Lotus. Different wheelbase, track, everything. Our governor even fits fine in it (not a small guy as you know :D) :thumb:

gjg
September 11th, 2006, 21:26
Sony battery cells, not Telsa