PDA

View Full Version : Road & Track - 6 Super Car Comparison

Erik
August 23rd, 2006, 13:50
US: Corvette Z06, Dodge Viper SRT10, Ford GT

Euro: Ferrari F430 F1, Porsche 997 Turbo, Lamborghini Gallardo

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6938/1ij6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9996/2ib5.jpg

AndyBG
August 23rd, 2006, 14:07
Why they do these tests wehn everybody knows the income...

Porsche wins... :hihi:

Erik, Thanks for this.

AndyBG
August 23rd, 2006, 14:10
Originally posted by AndyBG
... income...

OUTCOME, that is.... :hihi:

Sorry...

Leadfoot
August 23rd, 2006, 14:54
I'm a bit shocked at how poor a performance the Porsche produced.

Fab
August 23rd, 2006, 15:33
me too but let's admit it faces the best of best and with more hp

Benman
August 23rd, 2006, 15:46
Originally posted by AndyBG

...income...

OUTCOME, that is.... :hihi:

Sorry...
Actually, that may have been a subliminal message as income would factor in for most of us. Given that the Ferrari costs three times the mph/$ factor as the Z06, the Z06 would be my choice.:D :thumb:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
August 23rd, 2006, 17:32
Originally posted by Benman
Actually, that may have been a subliminal message as income would factor in for most of us. Given that the Ferrari costs three times the mph/$ factor as the Z06, the Z06 would be my choice.:D :thumb:

Ben:addict:

On this showing I would have to agree with Ben. Although with it's ride quality, I would have to become best friends with my dentist.:D

7:53 RS6
August 24th, 2006, 09:34
I pick the corvette, it would be so much fun to humiliate other cars on track whit this one. Accually a guy i know that is a proffessional racedriver here teste the Z06 against new Porsche Turbo on a track here that is 3100m long.(the to on street tiers)

He was driving all day long whit the to cars, in the end he was 2.6 seconds faster in the corvette. He said 2.6 seconds thats to diffrent classes in racing so it meant Porsche is not even in the same racingseries:D

Anyway it might been posted here, the articel, i dont know. He also mentioned the Z06 is kind of almost so god he can nearly race is stock as it is:race:

AndyBG
August 24th, 2006, 12:14
Originally posted by 7:53 RS6
I pick the corvette, it would be so much fun to humiliate other cars on track whit this one. Accually a guy i know that is a proffessional racedriver here teste the Z06 against new Porsche Turbo on a track here that is 3100m long.(the to on street tiers)

He was driving all day long whit the to cars, in the end he was 2.6 seconds faster in the corvette. He said 2.6 seconds thats to diffrent classes in racing so it meant Porsche is not even in the same racingseries:D

Anyway it might been posted here, the articel, i dont know. He also mentioned the Z06 is kind of almost so god he can nearly race is stock as it is:race:

This isn't proper comparation, that CZ06 is striped racer, all of you ho seat down in this car, either once knows what i am talking about, simmilar thing is with all cars from this list, exepct Lambo' Gallardo.

Porsche 911/997 turbo is full of luxurious features that you can't find in any of the other cars. They should put GT3 in this test to see how it all goes, GT3 is more like these cars, track oriented for less money, or if you/they think that GT3 is too slow, wait for new GT2. :king:

This way we realy missing the point, totaly diferent cars.

gnomik007
August 24th, 2006, 13:39
I agree, lets wait until GT2 comes out and see what that does :D

Leadfoot
August 24th, 2006, 13:45
Possibility the Turbo was put into the mix because it was in between the price of the Ferrari/Lambo and the Corvette. I agree that the GT3 was on the money around the track, but would be beaten in the acceleration. GT2 in the past was a bit of an animal and might have only done well in the topspeed and the acceleration. Though these drivers that did this test are good enough to tame the beast.

August 24th, 2006, 15:08
Gee, take it easy will you Andy:D it was not me puting the test togheter, apperently some at AMS think it was a intresting match anyway it seeams, i guess the hp had somthing to do whit it as it beeing at the same level almost. Anyway the comments Fredrik Ekblom gave the Porsche after was not fun to read if you are into Porsche.

All in all its pretty lame compeard to the ZO6 on track was the grnrall comment from him, on street the porsche got more good grades. It always fun to read or hear a real racdrivers point of wiev testing cars, rhater than car journalists as most cases are.

Well to me the corvette is far from a stripped out racecar, whit full leader, klima cd, electick seats and the lot, well its still so porky as the porsche.

I take in to my math anyway the vette is nerly half price of the porker.

August 24th, 2006, 15:10
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Possibility the Turbo was put into the mix because it was in between the price of the Ferrari/Lambo and the Corvette. I agree that the GT3 was on the money around the track, but would be beaten in the acceleration. GT2 in the past was a bit of an animal and might have only done well in the topspeed and the acceleration. Though these drivers that did this test are good enough to tame the beast.

still not so porky as the porsch.

AndyBG
August 24th, 2006, 16:02
Originally posted by 7:53 RS6
Gee, take it easy will you Andy:D it was not me puting the test togheter,....

Ho ever said you did...? :confused:

Ok, you can compare any car you want, far as i am conserd that Corvette is nice, but not even close to any 911, MY OPINION.

And still i think that ''turbo'' isn't proper match for these cars, it's way mutch better car in full package overview then any of these other cars, Lambo' would be second choice.

Also, the thing i want to point out is, YES Corvette also has leder, sat-nav, CD... but driving in it on regular day to day basis is rediculous, same goes for Ford GT, MAYBE even for a F430, while Porsche 997/911 ''turbo'' gives you 100% usebility 24/7, wether you are cruising around, going for a cross continent trip or you want to go on a track.

That is what boders me in all these tests, 911 turbo is different animal from these cars, and that is way i don't understand why they never put GT3 in these test, or GT2 wehn comes out.

All best, Andy :bye:

AndyBG
August 24th, 2006, 16:29
And there is displaycement issue, CZ06 has 7000 ccm engine, that is twice as mutch 911 has.

Interesting thing to do is compering times between GT3 and that Corvette.

rks838
August 24th, 2006, 20:11
Well, at least in this test, 2.1 seconds separates the Ferrari from the Z06, and 2.6 seconds separate it from the 911 Turbo - that would put the Ferrari, allegedly, in a different league altogether from the others. But we know this isn't true. Let's introduce another test - Car and Driver's comparison of the Z06, 911 Turbo, and F430. Here are the lap times - Z06: 1:15.85; 911 Turbo: 1:17.55; F430: 1:18.20. Here, 1.7 seconds separate the Z06 from the 911 Turbo, and the Z06 is 2.35 seconds ahead of the F430. According to this one, the Z06 is a monster that annihilates the others. Here, the Z06 is the one in a different league, and the 911 Turbo that we have been making sound lowly handily beats the F430. (Granted all of this, the Ferrari still one the comparo).

It's pretty hard to say that any one of these cars is much better. Just for curiosity's sake, here are each car's track times from both tests added together. F430: 2:35.6 seconds; Z06: 2:35.35; 911 Turbo: 2:37.55

rks838
August 24th, 2006, 20:14
Not to start another thread, but since when is having more displacement an issue that puts one car unfairly ahead of another? That's like saying the Porsche's variable-geometry turbos are unfair...

Leadfoot
August 24th, 2006, 22:12
I think AndyBG and the rest of RS6.COM will agree with me in saying that the moral victor in both test will be the Porsche. The Turbo though not fastest against the clock, it's still the only one you would want to use every day. Just like the RS4 when comparing it with the likes of the M5 or M6, though both are quicker neither are really as practical as an all year round mode of transport. And this applys to all quattros not only the very quick one.

How many supercars would you like to take to a ski resort, I can only think of two, the Turbo and the Gallardo and to be honest it really wouldn't be that capable and is £20K+ more. All of the others in the test were really design for one purpose only, going very very fast and nothing else. Now you may say but that the only reason of a supercar, but not all of us have enough money to buy the supercar and an ordinary car as well, most can just about afford the ordinary one. But if you could only have one car in your garage and it just had to be a supercar, you know which one it would have to be.

So what if the Porsche was slightly slow around the track, it's the only one that was also design to carry two adults and two small children in comfort over great distances and be very reliable as well.

This might sound like I'm a Porsche fan and I am, but to tell you the truth, I had the money I would be buying none of them, I would sell the kids and holding on for the R8.:D

AndyBG
August 24th, 2006, 22:46
Originally posted by rks838
Not to start another thread, but since when is having more displacement an issue that puts one car unfairly ahead of another? That's like saying the Porsche's variable-geometry turbos are unfair...

Ok,ok, but i was pointing out to GT3 vs. CZ06 comparation, and there are NO turbos on GT3.

rks838
August 24th, 2006, 22:56
Ahhh, got it. It's just a little pet peeve of mine when magazine writers say stuff like, "and car x achieves the same horsepower as car y with an engine that is two liters smaller"....it just never made sense to me. It's all engineering, whatever works for whatever brand is fine. It's the outcome that's important, to me anyway. The best example is the Dodge Viper - I once saw a writer say, "Dodge pulls the only trick it's ever had up it's sleeve - increasing displacement," when discussing the new Viper in '02. Someone wrote back, "Does that mean it doesn't have 500 horsepower?" Enough said...

rks838
August 24th, 2006, 22:59
On the Porsche, is it the practical and moral winner. It can do everything, and if you're a nitpicker, practically everything, that the Z06 and F430 can do while offering a car that can truly be dirven under everyday circumstances. But Car and Driver said it was a little sterile...it didn't "stir the juices," they said...Oh well, we'll just have to drive it and figure out for ourselves!

Leadfoot
August 24th, 2006, 23:19
But Car and Driver said it was a little sterile...it didn't "stir the juices," they said...Oh well, we'll just have to drive it and figure out for ourselves!

Sounds like every Audi roadtest I have ever read, but still we are all here.:addict: :rs4addict :s4addict: :ttaddict:

As you say, enough said.

AndyBG
August 24th, 2006, 23:42
[B... But Car and Driver said it was a little sterile...it didn't "stir the juices," they said...Oh well, we'll just have to drive it and figure out for ourselves! [/B]

Oh, yes it stears them, maybe they got a wrong car or some with some ''fault''...

:hihi: