PDA

View Full Version : EVO - RS4 Long termer

Erik
August 23rd, 2006, 09:32
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/201945/audi_rs4.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_413/car_photo_206767_5.jpg

Fab
August 23rd, 2006, 11:58
yep oil concumption seems to be a serious criteria to look at. But it also seems that oil consumption can much vary from one RS4 to the other.

I hope mine will not be too thirsty :D

MR USER
August 23rd, 2006, 12:52
Thirsty is good!!!

I have been told by my racing mechanic that the engine is assembled to high tolerance for what concerns the pistons because this way is easyer to cool it down. It burns oil to stay cool and to avoid any damage in case of excessive heating and pistons dilatation.

Whatever the meaning of that is it sounds good to me!

Fab
August 23rd, 2006, 13:01
of course it is good and healthy for our babies :incar:

Fab
August 24th, 2006, 11:02
Here we are : I checked the oil level yesterday (after 750km:hahahehe: ) I had to refil 0.8 liter already

I will get 2-3 liters from my dealer today in order to be fine for the next month :D :D

Thirsty baby

:rs4kiss:

andreasm
August 24th, 2006, 19:31
Originally posted by Fab
Here we are : I checked the oil level yesterday (after 750km:hahahehe: ) I had to refil 0.8 liter already

The car consumes only on the first 3.000 km so much oil. I had to refill 2 liters after my first 3.000 km… currently I have 10.000 km on the clock, and I had to refill only one liter for the last 7000km.

gazzab
August 24th, 2006, 23:42
Are you guys going by the on board computer or physically checking as I have done over 2000k and I haven't checked!

Gazzab

BigRick
August 24th, 2006, 23:54
First time I was notified by the system. I had only 800km and I was already at the minimum label on the dip stick.

I had the oil changed at 3000km and now I check once in a while but not missing too much (reaching 5000km)

I physicaly check the dip stick just to make sure I don't scrap the enigne for one bad 5$ sensor.

Fab
August 25th, 2006, 07:44
Originally posted by andreasm
The car consumes only on the first 3.000 km so much oil. I had to refill 2 liters after my first 3.000 km… currently I have 10.000 km on the clock, and I had to refill only one liter for the last 7000km. reassuring :D I just bought 2 liters this morning to be on the safe side.

I recommend you guys to physically check on your own every week during the first 3000-5000km. It is much better than waiting for the sensor to ring because at this time the level is quite low already.

Personally I found very difficult to identify the level on the oil stick. It is much easy to see the level in my S4 and TT but I guess this is just a matter of being used to.

A pert from that I am enjoying this great car every moment :heart: :rs4addict

Mr Balsen
August 25th, 2006, 08:20
Please be aware that cars are filled at the minimun in the factory. So you have to be carefull about the oil level.

And yes, don't wait the alarm to ring, because on Audi cars it can be the "Too Late" alarm ! ! !

And for the lucky owner of an RS4 B7, you can take 3 minute to check the oil level on regular basis, the car is worth it !

Cheers,
Frederic

gazzab
August 25th, 2006, 09:27
Geez Frederic, you are putting the proverbials up me, had to rush out and check the oil, I have done 2000K and the level appears to be smack in the middle of the min and max.

Now is there suppose to be a container of oil in the boot, I can't see it?!

Thanks guys.

Gazzab

Fab
August 25th, 2006, 10:31
Yep it seems the oil consumption varies very much from an RS4 to the other. I just talked to a friend, his RS4 has 8'000km on the clock and he even doesn't remember having done an oil refill !!!??? And believe he dirves it as a RS should be driven :revs: :incar:

Sounds very suprising.

Mr Balsen
August 25th, 2006, 12:11
Well, it is always good to check the oil level anyway.

Cheers,
Frederic

Fab
August 29th, 2006, 08:04
I heard part of the reason of oil refill on the RS4 is due to the Castrol 0W60 Longlife wich is the oil Audi gives you in Switzerland for the beast. This oil is very less viscous than oterhs and therefore doesn't last that long or get "evaporated" quicker than 10W40 or others.

Any comments ?