PDA

View Full Version : S4 (B6), top speed?

AndyBG
August 22nd, 2006, 18:38
Question for all S4 (B6) owners...

What top speed you get from your cars?

Yesterday My friend and I tried his de-limited S4 with manuall gear box, but we only managed to get 260 km/h, so...

... are your cars more ''generous'' to you?

THX

Leadfoot
August 22nd, 2006, 19:31
AndyBG,

I have had more from mine and it hasn't be de-limited. Ok, the speedo could be out, but so is your friend's. I do know another owner who has got 163mph on his GPS unit which is 261Km/h exactly and he said he felt that there was more left to go.

gjg
August 22nd, 2006, 20:05
we did 272 km/h with MTM chip (Stage I), gps measured, both of us farting to get some afterburner help .... :D

Audihead
August 22nd, 2006, 22:24
Originally posted by Leadfoot
AndyBG,

I have had more from mine and it hasn't be de-limited. Ok, the speedo could be out, but so is your friend's. I do know another owner who has got 163mph on his GPS unit which is 261Km/h exactly and he said he felt that there was more left to go.

I think about 270 is @ as fast as you can get that car to go!:0:

Fab
August 23rd, 2006, 07:42
Sorry guys could you please remind me how to get the GPS speed with the new one. I was used to do it on the old GPS version (S4 from 2001) but don't know how to do it on the new one.

gjg
August 23rd, 2006, 07:43
that I do not know either - we used external unit with PDA. Can you use GPS in NAV+ as "speed measurement" ?

Leadfoot
August 23rd, 2006, 07:48
Originally posted by gjg
we did 272 km/h with MTM chip (Stage I), gps measured, both of us farting to get some afterburner help .... :D

I thought the MTM only de-limited the S4, not tuning. If this has changed, what power does it now produced. By the way, what was the car showing on the speedo at the time.

P.S.

Farting will never produce enough thrust unless you have ate the right stuff. I recommend Baked Beans, Mushy Peas or Kelloggs All Bran.:D :vgrumpy:

Oh yes, and I Gas Mask.:hihi:

Leadfoot
August 23rd, 2006, 10:49
We all know now what the topspeed of a S4 is, but how much faster is the new RS4? Does anyone have their's de-limited yet and if so what will it do?

Fab
August 23rd, 2006, 11:55
don't know as I'm still in break in period.

Some serious french magazine made real top speed tests and their test car (without any de-limiter) topped 269km/h which isn't bad at all. It seems the limiter activates itself at higher speed than the classic 250km/h.

But I would guess that both S4 and RS4 (standard) should top approx the same vmax.

:rs4kiss:

MR USER
August 23rd, 2006, 13:41
I know that on the Ring Audi tested the RS4 with no limiter at pre production stage (I don't know what chip they had) ant the car went to 298 kph.
Talking with test driver he told me that it will not go much faster than that (+-10kph) as the cx coefficent (resistance to air) is too high.

IMHO should go 305 max or something like that with a speedo showing around 310.

I think that the top speed is important but what I really like is the speed the :rs4kiss: carries around corners....

After all reaching 300 in a straignt line is nice but going 120 sideways around a tight corner on a mountain road with no roadside guards and sharp pointy stones waiting at the bottom of a 500 meters cliff is much more rewarding, especially if the nice blond in the seat next to yours is attempting to distract you with all she got!

To summarise the concept above: I love my RS4 :rs4kiss: :rs4kiss: :rs4kiss: :rs4kiss: :rs4kiss:

Fab
August 23rd, 2006, 14:05
you're not alone :D

:heart: :rs4kiss: :heart:

gjg
August 23rd, 2006, 14:33
Originally posted by Leadfoot

I thought the MTM only de-limited the S4

this was A6 2.7tt (me bad mistakin 4.2 l S4 with this one) - you are right, there is no tuning (unless you put supercharger on. I stand corrected.

mtm was:

max. performance kW/Umin 225/4900
max. torque Nm/Umin 480/3200

new set of tires and 100 oct. Shell fuel.

Speedo was around 280. Car is gone, replaced with rs6

For proper methane mixture we used texas chilli :D

Leadfoot
August 23rd, 2006, 14:41
Originally posted by Fab
don't know as I'm still in break in period.

Some serious french magazine made real top speed tests and their test car (without any de-limiter) topped 269km/h which isn't bad at all. It seems the limiter activates itself at higher speed than the classic 250km/h.

But I would guess that both S4 and RS4 (standard) should top approx the same vmax.

:rs4kiss:

That was my guess as well, since both cars produce approx. the same amount of torque give or take a few lb/ft. Though there is no doubt that the RS4 will get there a hell of a lot quicker.

A lot of people think that a M3 is quicker than the S4v8 in acceleration, but from my findings this is not the case, the S4 beats it off the line (awd) and by 60mph they are dead level, then the Beemer pulls 1 car length at most upto 100mph. I think this is more down to the fact that we have to change from 3rd to 4th gear, but after that the S4 seem to get it's second wind and pull ahead.

Most magazines seem to find a big difference between them and I have been wondering if BMW are giving them doctored cars.

Has anyone else race a current model M3 and found the same.

Fab
August 23rd, 2006, 14:48
No doubt the RS4 will reach its top speed quicker :king:

I agree a V8 engine coupled to a higher torque such as the S4 should make it at high speed vs M3. Both are very close anyway.