PDA

View Full Version : RS6 immobilized itself on my vacation

rks838
August 22nd, 2006, 02:23
So I drove the RS6 up to Lake Placid, NY from Washington, DC earlier this August. One day, we pulled into a pharmacy lot to get some water. Although the 600 mile or so trip up went fine, we came back out, and the Beast wouldn't start. It would ignite, but then die down. We realized the instrument panel was dead - stuck on 1200 RPM and about 5-10 MPH. We called Audi Roadside Assistance, which has pretty bad operators, and then Langam Audi in Latham, NY. A tow truck picked up the car, and soon we were told that the immobilizer had somehow activated and that we needed a new instrument panel. By then it was Monday, and we were told the car would be ready Thursday. Oddly enough, they called Tuesday evening and said the car was on a flatbed and headed back to us.

It was disappointing that the immobilizer randomly activated itself, but the service that came from the core of Audi was very fast and helpful. The fringes need help - Roadside Assistance operators were stupid, as was the driver of Langam Audi's preferred towing company who called the wrong number when he reached Lake Placid, got no answer, forgot to call the second cell number we gave him, and turned around to go back to Latham. Thoughts? Has anybody else had a hyperactive immobilizer?

SpinEcho
August 22nd, 2006, 02:54
Was this an instrument cluster failure? The TT has a well-deserved reputation for instrument clusters suddenly failing to recognize the key and activating the immobilizer (it happened to me on my old TT). Hopefully this same gremlin isn't going to become an RS6 issue!

Benman
August 22nd, 2006, 16:53
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Was this an instrument cluster failure? The TT has a well-deserved reputation for instrument clusters suddenly failing to recognize the key and activating the immobilizer...

Yes, please let us know what the dealer found. Was it just a random power failure or what? Or as Spin states, was it the cluster not recognizing the key...

Ben :addict:

Aronis
August 23rd, 2006, 02:30
Had my car in Langon Audi for a bunch of visits for my DRC repair, which was finally properly done in Cicero (just north of Syracuse).

Not their fault, just lack of experience with rare repair.

I think the mechanic there, Tommy, is a good guy, and if Audi lets him, he WILL get it fixed....

Mike