PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Tweel for your RS6

gmbh6
August 18th, 2006, 20:01
So how many of you would put these on your beasts?

http://img.timeinc.net/popsci/images/2005/10/auto_tire485.jpg

Michelin Tweel
The tire that never needs air
November 2005

Michelin aims to eliminate flats and blowouts with its remarkable Tweel concept, an airless one-piece wheel-and-tire combo that could soon enter production. The Tweel's hub connects to polyurethane spokes that assume the shock-absorbing role of a traditional tire's sidewall. The spokes are bonded to a reinforced rubber tread band that can be as specialized as today's tires. By varying the thickness and size of the spokes, Michelin can generate a wide array of ride and handling qualities.

read more here... twheel (http://www.michelinman.com/difference/releases/pressrelease01102005a.html)

Benman
August 18th, 2006, 21:22
What's up CA Kid?:thumb:

How's things been going?

I wouldn't mind trying those tires. But problem is, when the tires get worn out, looks like you have to throw the wheel away too. That or pay the rebonding fee for the next set, if they can even do that...

Ben:addict:

nene
August 18th, 2006, 21:30
Never.

Leadfoot
August 18th, 2006, 21:46
Originally posted by Benman

How's things been going?

I wouldn't mind trying those tires. But problem is, when the tires get worn out, looks like you have to throw the wheel away too. That or pay the rebonding fee for the next set, if they can even do that...

Ben:addict:

Ben,

I remember seeing a video of these tyres in action and they looked very impressive indeed, out gripping the normal tyres and producing less road noise.

I would be surprised if it's not like a two/three piece alloy wheel, with the centre bolted to the outer rim. This way the extra cost will be kept to the minimum. I would reckon for the producation version it will have cosmetic sidewalls as the dirt would gather in this spokes and may effect the performance.

But hey, it's only my opinion.

gmbh6
August 24th, 2006, 00:20
Originally posted by Benman

How's things been going?

so darn busy......i have to slow down so i can catch an audi quattro event or something. :addict:

CornersWell
August 24th, 2006, 12:56
I live in an area where there is WAY too much construction going on, and I've picked up at least 4 nails or screws in my tires. It's getting expensive. And, one time I didn't catch the de-pressurization and was driving on the flattened tire on a highway for several miles. The tire blew apart and damaged the bodywork.

THIS would solve the problem. I saw the video a while ago of this on a A6, possibly. Weird, but could be worthwhile.

CW