PDA

View Full Version : BMW 135ti! Bye bye new S3!

RS6rb
August 18th, 2006, 12:29
What a rocket!!!

306hp in the 1 series! Like GCF said it will be a cannon ball on wheels! BYE BYE New Audi S3!
:bye2:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/gcf/spyphotoID/6060816.004/bmw/spy-photos-bmw-135ti

Erik
August 18th, 2006, 12:34
Bring on the RS3...

:applause:

AndyBG
August 18th, 2006, 13:05
Originally posted by Erik
Bring on the RS3...

:applause:

:0:

Hot hatch scene is fireing up, GOLF R36 is coming...

Duma
August 18th, 2006, 14:59
damn'.... beast !!! :MTM: :MTM:

Qriouz
August 18th, 2006, 18:15
To bad that its so damn UGLY!!!

Leadfoot
August 18th, 2006, 18:46
This 135i will be very bit as quick as the present M3 and if GCF are right that BMW would have like to have called it theM1 but of course that was already used. Point being this is supposed to be a M model in all but name minus the trick diff. So expect a 0-60mph in 5seconds and 0-100mph in 12seconds flat.

The new R36 will be a great car, maybe even get the same 300hp, but there is no way it will be able to work with this BMW, not in acceleration or in-gear when it will at best be 40lbs/ft of torque down on the Bemmer and weight a lot more as well. I don't doubt it will be better around the corners and a better ride to boot, but young guys are bowled over by performance figure, looks and practicality always come a poor second.

Audi should build a RS3, but at present there is no planned for such a machine. :rolleyes: As usually Audi are playing catch-up.:w:

steffenr
August 18th, 2006, 19:31
to bad the BMW is useless in everyday life, the trunk is to small and it is just so f*****g ugly.

I would go for the S3 any day.

OT: HGP has made a new kit for the R32 that evolves 600hp:bye2:

jonas_dg
August 18th, 2006, 22:17
quick! hide it!

Clio16V
August 19th, 2006, 13:43
And what to think of the upcoming Renault Clio RS Turbo!!

Some say that the car get's 4WD and 300HP :0:

Lateknight
August 19th, 2006, 16:18
Originally posted by steffenr
to bad the BMW is useless in everyday life, the trunk is to small and it is just so f*****g ugly.

I would go for the S3 any day.

Too true.

Looks like a small hearse in black.

Wouldn't be seen dead in it:p

roozbeh007
August 19th, 2006, 19:02
what were they thinking when they designed this?
as ugly as it gets.

Leadfoot
August 19th, 2006, 21:13
Originally posted by Lateknight
Too true.

Looks like a small hearse in black.

Wouldn't be seen dead in it:p

With that much power in something that small without awd, you probably would be.:rolleyes:

Iceman
August 20th, 2006, 20:43
Originally posted by AndyBG
:0:

Hot hatch scene is fireing up, GOLF R36 is coming...
Not before 2008.

Hans.

Leadfoot
August 20th, 2006, 22:29
Originally posted by Iceman
Not before 2008.

Hans.

Hans,

That date is contrary to every magazine I have read at present. All are saying Spring '07, stating the power increase of 30hp for the GTI as the reason for the increased engine size for the R32 to R36 to keep the power and performance difference. They also state that it might come with 19" alloys to accommodate the larger brakes needed for it's extra performance or at the very least be an option.

Is your reasoning the fact that it would belittle the Jan'07 launch of the S3, having a VW Golf with more power and performance. I must admit lately there is no news on the R36, so maybe your right and it's launch has been postponed.

I interesting thing will be if the increase of power the GTI recieves is introduced with little or no price increase, if so than the R36 will possibly be the same.

Lateknight
August 20th, 2006, 22:50
I believe the 230ps engine for the Golf will be the for the 30th Anniversary edition only. (edition 30?) Its due for launch next year in europe only. I dont think it will be seen in any std. Gti in that year. The engine is due to start production in October this year.

As the Golf is slated for renewal some time in 2008 (Mk6) - something about the current Mk5 taking too long to build, compared to its rivals !! - The R36 will make an appearance late 2007, as a swansong to the Mk5.

On a related note.
Why do Audi and Volkswagen always leave the Hot,Hot versions so late in the models life??
Surely theres a 'Halo' effect to be had on the rest of that particular range if the Hi-per' models were out sooner.

Name an Audi RS model that came out within 4 years of that models platform initial launch??

Never understood that particular marketing strategy.

Leadfoot
August 20th, 2006, 23:12
Originally posted by Lateknight
I believe the 230ps engine for the Golf will be the for the 30th Anniversary edition only. (edition 30?) Its due for launch next year in europe only. I dont think it will be seen in any std. Gti in that year. The engine is due to start production in October this year.

As the Golf is slated for renewal some time in 2008 (Mk6) - something about the current Mk5 taking too long to build, compared to its rivals !! - The R36 will make an appearance late 2007, as a swansong to the Mk5.

On a related note.
Why do Audi and Volkswagen always leave the Hot,Hot versions so late in the models life??
Surely theres a 'Halo' effect to be had on the rest of that particular range if the Hi-per' models were out sooner.

Name an Audi RS model that came out within 4 years of that models platform initial launch??

Never understood that particular marketing strategy.

Yes I know that the 230hp model is to be a special, but with the Leon Cupra coming out with 230hp, I reckon the Golf won't be far behind, regardless of what VW marketing say.

I totally agree with you thoughts on RS models, if BMW and Mercedes see the benefit of it, why do Audi not. You must admit RS models hold there money better than either the M or AMG models, so public opinion is they see it as something more special, maybe because of it short life cycle, limited numbers and the fact that they don't come around that often.

KK265
August 20th, 2006, 23:18
Originally posted by RS6rb
What a rocket!!!

306hp in the 1 series! Like GCF said it will be a cannon ball on wheels! BYE BYE New Audi S3!
:bye2:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/gcf/spyphotoID/6060816.004/bmw/spy-photos-bmw-135ti

In Greece current 130i with M packet costs 17.000 euro more than S3 with same equipment.So i guess this "rocket" will cost at least 20-25.000 euro more than an S3..This is the base price of an S4!So who will buy this car for this price?Perhaps the same people who bought an Z3 M coupe.In Greece nobody!!I think it is a useless version of BMW series 1.

Iceman
August 20th, 2006, 23:36
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Hans,

That date is contrary to every magazine I have read at present. All are saying Spring '07.
Spring 2007 is the date for the introduction of the Passat R36 not the Golf R36.
Futher the 3.6 VR6-Gearbox combo will not fit in the present Golf 5 engine bay.
Wenn the Golf get the big facelift (Golf 6)
the combo will fit.

Hans.

Leadfoot
August 21st, 2006, 12:20
Spring 2007 is the date for the introduction of the Passat R36 not the Golf R36.
Futher the 3.6 VR6-Gearbox combo will not fit in the present Golf 5 engine bay.
Wenn the Golf get the big facelift (Golf 6)
the combo will fit.

Hans.

I take it you are talking about the 3.6L with the new 7-speed DSG box. Surely the 3.6L engine can be matched to the current DSG and as the 3.6L has not external size difference between it and the 3.2L, then why can they not put this in to production?

Iceman
August 21st, 2006, 12:28
Originally posted by Leadfoot
I take it you are talking about the 3.6L with the new 7-speed DSG box. Surely the 3.6L engine can be matched to the current DSG and as the 3.6L has not external size difference between it and the 3.2L, then why can they not put this in to production?
The 350 Nm DSG gearbox is not useble.
The new 500 Nm 6 speed DSG gearbox is, but it's bigger.
btw the 7speed DSG is a longitudinal box.

Hans.

Leadfoot
August 21st, 2006, 16:53
The 350 Nm DSG gearbox is not useble.
The new 500 Nm 6 speed DSG gearbox is, but it's bigger.
btw the 7speed DSG is a longitudinal box.

Hans.

Hans,

I said 7speed because Autocar ran a piece on the R36 Passat and said they (VW) were working on a 7speed DSG box. I put two and two together and thought that it was getting this gearbox.

You say it can only handle 350Nm of torque, what about all the guys who have tuned their cars to more than this and their gearboxes are fine.

Lateknight
August 21st, 2006, 21:11
The Passat B6 is heavily based on the Golf/ Jetta 5 platform.

To look at a Passat and Golf on a lift from underneath, they 95% the same at the front.

If a 3.6 engine/ box fits in a US spec Passat then I do not see any reason why it would not fit in a Golf/Jetta. Although I must admit I have not seen the 3.6 installation in a Passat (I live in Europe - we only have the 3.2 model)

My understanding of the forthcoming Golf 6, is to carry the platform over largely unchanged. Change the way the car is built to cut down on man hours to build the vehicle, and to take the oppurtunity to give it the 'look' of a brand new model.

Volkswagen registered the 'R36' name a few years ago. They must have plans to use it somewhere.