PDA

View Full Version : Progressive clutch????

jasaretta
August 16th, 2006, 22:45
With my recent update to my sticky cluthc problem....the dealer was telling me about the progressive clutch on the RS4 and the need to use the clutch a little differently to normal. I havent had the detailed chat with him about it but will when I pick it up - has anyone heard of this and what it might mean for driving?

james

Leadfoot
August 16th, 2006, 23:15
Originally posted by jasaretta
With my recent update to my sticky cluthc problem....the dealer was telling me about the progressive clutch on the RS4 and the need to use the clutch a little differently to normal. I havent had the detailed chat with him about it but will when I pick it up - has anyone heard of this and what it might mean for driving?

james

Yeap, most of the mags talked about it, but in any drive it have had I never noticed any difference between it and my S4. Maybe it's only when you are doing standing starts that the progressive clutch comes into play.

BryanF
August 17th, 2006, 10:32
James

I've experienced clutch issues but only when in "S" mode.The clutch seems to grab a second time (?) as you change gear from first to second under heavy acceleration.I don't know if its my driving style but as I said it doesn't happen in normal mode but I've found it dosen't do it when you release the clutch all the way very quickly.

I definitely have to use a different style in "s" mode when changing from first to second. I have to say the clutch in my 911 is a joy to use and oh so easy to get right after hopping out of the RS4.

I've also read that the progressive clutch has something to do with 8000 rpm launch starts but I can't find the actual article.....I have too many !!

Bryan

BigRick
August 17th, 2006, 17:12
Originally posted by BryanF
James

I've experienced clutch issues but only when in "S" mode.The clutch seems to grab a second time (?) as you change gear from first to second under heavy acceleration.

Bryan

Try removing the first ESP stage... it made all the difference in my case. That double release effect seams to come from the ESP (at least in my case)

Enjoy!

gazzab
August 17th, 2006, 23:18
James, maybe the excitement is just too much for you!!!

Gazzab

jasaretta
August 17th, 2006, 23:19
Originally posted by gazzab
James, maybe the excitement is just too much for you!!!

Gazzab

Spoken like a man still reeling from RS4 delivery syndrome LOL :0:

gazzab
August 17th, 2006, 23:25
Hi mate, had the beast professionally waxed and polished yesterday, looks b fantastic. Don't want to go out in the rain now!

Gazzab

BryanF
August 18th, 2006, 01:49
Big Rick

Thanks for the tip....I'II try it and let you know.

Gazzab ...I'd be interested in who you used for the wax and do they travel ?

Bryan

gazzab
August 18th, 2006, 01:58
Hi Bryan, yes he does travel, he is based in Mulgrave but lives North of the Yarra.

His website:

www.finalinspection.com.au

I will post some pics later on.

Gazzab

BryanF
August 23rd, 2006, 08:59
James

Any further update ?

Bryan

gazzab
August 23rd, 2006, 09:54
Bryan, he must be enjoing the beast too much, or maybe it is love.
When is Michael getting his beast, we need to schedule our meet, feel to PM me.

Gazzab

jasaretta
August 23rd, 2006, 22:35
All done - got the car back last Friday and its fine. Audi service was great - obviously p!ssed that I had it off the road for over a week but given the situation the guys did all they could. Car is great and finally run in! :)

Damn it sounds good from 6000 - 8000rpm!

When are we getting together?

james

gazzab
August 24th, 2006, 11:11
James, so what did they do to the car.

We should get together when Michael gets his car.

Gazzab

jasaretta
August 24th, 2006, 12:27
Definitely.

They changed 2 (I think) hoses in the clutch that have been designed to the wrong spec. The new ones are completely different.

james

dxben
August 25th, 2006, 06:28
Definitely.

They changed 2 (I think) hoses in the clutch that have been designed to the wrong spec. The new ones are completely different.

james

So the clutch feels different now that you've had the newer hoses put in?

jasaretta
August 25th, 2006, 07:43
yes it does - it feels like the pressure against my foot is constant for the whole distance travelled by the clutch.

dxben
August 25th, 2006, 07:48
yes it does - it feels like the pressure against my foot is constant for the whole distance travelled by the clutch.

Where as before it was constant until about 3/4ths of the way up and the last 1/4th it kinda just popped up right?

At least that is how I feel it in mine.

Also, is it easier pressing in now? Or harder?

I found mine was a bit tight at first, and then got broken in but would still give way more towards the end of the press down.

But now I am having clutch issues and its a bit tighter than usual on the way down and I think there's a problem.

jasaretta
August 26th, 2006, 02:18
Originally posted by dxben
Where as before it was constant until about 3/4ths of the way up and the last 1/4th it kinda just popped up right?

At least that is how I feel it in mine.

Also, is it easier pressing in now? Or harder?

I found mine was a bit tight at first, and then got broken in but would still give way more towards the end of the press down.

But now I am having clutch issues and its a bit tighter than usual on the way down and I think there's a problem.

Yeah that sounds about right. It it a little easier than before and doesnt seem to grab all of a sudden. If it's the same problem it will feel tighter than usual.

james

dxben
August 26th, 2006, 03:59
Yeah that sounds about right. It it a little easier than before and doesnt seem to grab all of a sudden. If it's the same problem it will feel tighter than usual.

james

Yeah mine feels tighter than usual on the way down, but coming back up it seems to be operating as it always had.

I think the difference is subtle but its defintiely stiffer, and I know for a fact because my left knee, which is bad, has flared up over the last two days, which indicates to me I've been using more strength than it's used to and thus evidence of what my brain is noticing, a tighter clutch after one bad incident with the clutch a few days ago when it got super stiff out of nowhere.

I'm glad to hear the replacement part also makes the uptake even better because I've never been crazy about the clutch uptake in this car.