PDA

View Full Version : Rs4 Vs E90 M3

cally
August 15th, 2006, 04:05
Hi, i am new to this site and i like RS4 alot and was planning to get one too. but i would like to know which car would be faster, the new E90 M3 or the RS4 because the new M3 has 400 hp and its quite fast aswell. which one would u guys choose?? thx......

phEight
August 15th, 2006, 05:22
You just might get flamed nice for this question, luckily you're asking this on rs6.com rather then some of the other boards lol

The E90 M3 will, I'm sure be faster... it has less drive train loss, it will weigh less, it will have about the same HP, it will more likely handle better and be faster than the RS4. To anyone who knows Audi's they know that Audi isn't just about performance, you should even know this by now and you should already know the answer to your question. The E90 M3 will outperform the RS4. For daily driving? Good luck trying to compare the M3 to the RS4 for that. For year-round driving? M3 shouldn't even be put up for a comparison against the RS4 for this. For a car that's easier to drive faster around a track and in general? I would bet the RS4 would win this with ease as well. For a better interior and overall build quality and styling? My opinion the RS4 prevails by far.

To answer your question, would I choose the RS4 or the M3, well it's tough to choose without knowing what the M3 will really be like, but I would still probably choose the RS4. I am an Audi type of guy, and I know and feel what Audi has that BMW lacks.

rado2rs4
August 15th, 2006, 07:53
Originally posted by phEight
You just might get flamed nice for this question, luckily you're asking this on rs6.com rather then some of the other boards lol

YES U WILL GET FLAMED DONT MAKE ME TAKE THIS TO THE "AUDIZINE"... E90 M3 :nono: not around this neck of the woods! PHEIGHT is right go with the RS4 do a little :idea: about the rs4 and the answer could not be more clear

96a4
August 15th, 2006, 14:11
very good question

Leadfoot
August 15th, 2006, 15:36
This is a bit comparing apples with oranges, there both fruit but they look and taste different. The M3 and S4/RS4 have always being tested against together, but really they are different cars with a differing lookout on what a mid-size sportscar is. If you are in the market for a very quick day to day car that is usable in all conditions, then go for the Audi hands down, but if 4 doors and all weather usability are not you concern then go for the M3. And if rear seats aren't needed go for the Cayman.

The M3 is going to be an amazing car, but the fact that it not awd puts me off. I like the added security that awd has and love the way Audi marries outstanding performance and handling in a package that is so family friendly.

Fab
August 15th, 2006, 15:37
I can't say better...

Audihead
August 15th, 2006, 16:28
http://www.bohp.net/blog/pict1/news051003drift03.jpg

http://www.nnm.ru/imagez/gallery/doci/aut/autosport-1147642434_i_4476.jpg

Either way fun will be had!:0:

cally
August 16th, 2006, 04:16
thx, cos its really hard to know which one's better hahaha but i really like the audi RS4 look but really dont know how will the new M3 be like

cally
September 18th, 2006, 13:38
I herd that the RS4 hasnt got its real horse power, it is less then the spec sheet listed sth like 300 sth and not 420 is that true

AndyBG
September 18th, 2006, 13:46
Every car has less power on wheels...

Fab
September 18th, 2006, 13:49
This has been a long debate but it seems the polemic started when low mileage RS4s started to be tested on dynos by tuners. No one was able to get the 420hp out of them but rather 370-380ish.

Since then it seems that higher mileage cars have been tested and found around 400-420hp which seems fine considering the various power losses and other criterias to take into consideration.

The RS4 requires a considerable break in period and considerable mileage before to reach full power capacity. RS4s start to release full power between 5000km and 15000km. This seems to be also due to the ECU programmed to progressively release full power over time.

What I can say from my experience is that you can feel the car pulling more and more km after km from 2500km onward. This has been confirmed by almost all RS4 owners.

Some testing are still ongoing through friends and others planning to dyno their car anytime soon. Will share the outcome.

cally
September 18th, 2006, 13:52
but i mean even on dyno machines

cally
September 18th, 2006, 13:55
ohh icic i get it now because i just made an order for an RS4 then i herd this news about the insufficent power, but now i get it thx.

AndyBG
September 18th, 2006, 17:52
Skip dyno, take it on the road, you want be feeling any power loss, belive me...

:thumb: :revs:

MR USER
September 18th, 2006, 18:10
12500 km on the clock
Mine now reaches almost 300 revs more and I must say that it feels like another car.

I have an new mark on the door it says "Porsche 4s"!!!

The car feels much smoother in power delivery and a lot torquier in full acceleration.

I wonder if is about time to remove the limiter....

Fab
September 19th, 2006, 07:33
Originally posted by MR USER
12500 km on the clock

I wonder if is about time to remove the limiter.... it is the perfect timing to do so :revs: :king:

ringtaxi
September 20th, 2006, 18:28

The E90 M3 will, I'm sure be faster... it has less drive train loss, it will weigh less, it will have about the same HP, it will more likely handle better and be faster than the RS4. To anyone who knows Audi's they know that Audi isn't just about performance, you should even know this by now and you should already know the answer to your question. The E90 M3 will outperform the RS4. For daily driving? Good luck trying to compare the M3 to the RS4 for that. For year-round driving? M3 shouldn't even be put up for a comparison against the RS4 for this. For a car that's easier to drive faster around a track and in general? I would bet the RS4 would win this with ease as well. For a better interior and overall build quality and styling? My opinion the RS4 prevails by far.

To answer your question, would I choose the RS4 or the M3, well it's tough to choose without knowing what the M3 will really be like, but I would still probably choose the RS4. I am an Audi type of guy, and I know and feel what Audi has that BMW lacks.

Well Said Having owned 330i ZHP, E46 M3, E39 M5, 2 S6's, S8, Rs6 I can attest to your well put summary.

IulianUM
September 21st, 2006, 00:28
Read somewere canīt remember where about some Rs4s with more power than stated .:thumb:

I donīt like nor trust that dynomania but with more than 7.500 km. and the time to know the car , there are just a few cars in all the world that give you this driving experience .

:rs4addict :rs4addict :rs4addict But donīt trust me .:rs4addict:rs4addict :rs4addict

Fab
September 21st, 2006, 06:55
oh yes :rs4kiss:

The more I drive it the more I smilw alone in the car.

BryanF
September 21st, 2006, 10:54
Does how fast a car go make one car better than the other ? For me the main difference betwwen a BMW M3 and an Audi RS4 is all about personal choice and how a car makes you feel.

Both are magnificent cars and with the advent of the new E90 I'm sure it will perform and handle better than my beloved RS4.....driving at 9/10ths .But guess what...I don't drive at 9/10ths .The road laws are so tight over here that if you get caught dragging a car at a set of traffic lights you lose your car for 48 hours for the first offence ,3 months for the second and you lose your car forever for the third !!.In Australia BMW is a bigger prestige brand than an Audi.What I have is though iis a limited edition (only 100 are expected to be sold)of a thorough breed .One that always brings a smile when I push the start button,one that leaves mouths open as I drive by bus stops changing from second to third with the "S" botton on,one that delights my three children because they can all sit in comfort as we explore the many delights that the RS4 offers up,one the continually turns heads and is the object of much finger pointing as you slowly cruise through busy shopping areas.None of this is not experieced by M3 owners. And finally, one that has got BMW M3 owners asking is it as good as they all say.

My response ....they don't know what they are missing out on ...as I drive off on full throttle !!

Fab
September 21st, 2006, 12:22
you're sooo right :bye:

Sunny
September 21st, 2006, 19:08
Yeah, I think the performance is going to be too close on normal roads to make a big diffrence - but I think where the M3 is going to make a killing is the price diffrence. If as rumored M3 ends up more than 10k cheaper than RS4 it will be tough for me to justify a RS4 especially being in California where I really don't need the AWD.

And as for turning heads, I think an M3 would turn more heads more than an RS4 - most people would just mistake it for a S4/A4. But I actually prefer that stealth factor to turning heads - atleast till I hit my middle age crisis :D

Leadfoot
September 21st, 2006, 19:32
I'm surprised the talk is a 10k difference in the US, because the talk in the UK is that the M3 will be closer to the price of the RS4 than the old M3, eg. something like Ģ47-48K.

Sunny
September 21st, 2006, 19:40
I'm surprised the talk is a 10k difference in the US, because the talk in the UK is that the M3 will be closer to the price of the RS4 than the old M3, eg. something like Ģ47-48K.

Cosidering that the MSRP for E46 M3 is $49K here in US, I doubt if the new one is going to cost more than $55K. That is already a $15K premuim over the 335.

BryanF
September 22nd, 2006, 12:37
Sunny

Belive me the Rs4 turns more heads in Australia than anying M3 !!!!

Fab
September 22nd, 2006, 14:53
not only in Australia :rs4addict :dig:

BigRick
September 22nd, 2006, 19:24
Here also, as the M3 is often looked at as a prestige civic.

AndyBG
September 22nd, 2006, 19:47
Days of Audi ''stealthyness'' are numbered, wehn B7 RS 4 pass by, EVERYBODY turn heads, visually and by sound efects, the car is making BIG impresion...

Fab could tell as litle more... :hihi:

KK265
September 22nd, 2006, 20:19
Sunny

And in Greece too!!There are until now only 5-6 cars!!

Leadfoot
September 22nd, 2006, 22:05
Without alienating too many people. The RS4 has something that no M3 will ever have, well informed and intelligent owners who put quality and individuality ahead of performance figures.:dig:

Owning an Audi shows you make your own choices, :harass: not just running with the crowd.

Sunny
September 22nd, 2006, 22:07
Sunny

Here in US, hardly anyone even knows about the RS4 except for the enthusiats. My friend who has a A4 (B5) was looking to replace his car and I told him to get the new RS4 and he was like, "you mean a S4"? And this is from an A4 owner. Sad!

But I really wish Audi doesn't loose the stealth factor. Nothing like when a wagon puts the smack down on a Mustang! :D

Kleiv
September 22nd, 2006, 23:52
Without alienating too many people. The RS4 has something that no M3 will ever have, well informed and intelligent owners who put quality and individuality ahead of performance figures.:dig:

Owning an Audi shows you make your own choices, :harass: not just running with the crowd.

I will put an order on tne new M3 as soon as possible :dig:

RS4 for sale :p

dxben
September 26th, 2006, 05:17
Yeah, I think the performance is going to be too close on normal roads to make a big diffrence - but I think where the M3 is going to make a killing is the price diffrence. If as rumored M3 ends up more than 10k cheaper than RS4 it will be tough for me to justify a RS4 especially being in California where I really don't need the AWD.

And as for turning heads, I think an M3 would turn more heads more than an RS4 - most people would just mistake it for a S4/A4. But I actually prefer that stealth factor to turning heads - atleast till I hit my middle age crisis :D

Wha?!?!?! Not where I live and play (Greenwich, CT).. People are oogling my RS4 connnnnstantly! The M3? Uh they are everywhere...

Mxrs
September 26th, 2006, 07:22
for exaple de the official 0 -100 km of the rs4 is 4.8 secons, and the most important magazine make the the test in a city of 2.500 over sea and the rs4 made 0-100 in 6.77 seconds