PDA

View Full Version : - RS4 - owners best tyre choice

MR USER
August 14th, 2006, 19:24
I reached 9000 km and my baby needs new rubber.
I had driven Pirelli P zero Rosso for the 19'' rims.

I relly like them but I'm not a loyal customer, I like to try new products and this is why as ask you what you think about what you tried so far

As some of you got Micheline and some other the new continental, I would like to start this thread to group the reviews of your summer and winter tyres!

Thanks for sharing!

:rs4addict :rs4kiss: :rs4addict

Leadfoot
August 14th, 2006, 20:12
Originally posted by MR USER
I reached 9000 km and my baby needs new rubber.
I had driven Pirelli P zero Rosso for the 19'' rims.

I relly like them but I'm not a loyal customer, I like to try new products and this is why as ask you what you think about what you tried so far

As some of you got Micheline and some other the new continental, I would like to start this thread to group the reviews of your summer and winter tyres!

Thanks for sharing!

:rs4addict :rs4kiss: :rs4addict

I drive a S4 which has 235/45x18", the car came with Pirelli tyres and I got 11,500miles out of the first set. With the service contract the second set where Continental which didn't don't handle as well or last as long, only got 9,000miles from the second set. Sorry but can't give you an answer as for how Michelines wear or handle.

BigRick
August 14th, 2006, 22:44
From tirerack, they all have more than 3,000,000 miles reported.

Michelins Pilot Sport PS2, rank in category = 1 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=535ZR9SPTPS2XL&fromCompare1=yes&place=9)

Continental ContiSportContact2, rank in category = 14 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=535YR9SPC2&fromCompare1=yes&place=3)

Pirelli PZero Rosso, rank incategory = 17 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Rosso&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=535YR90ARXLV2&fromCompare1=yes&place=10)

I'm driving the michelins and here's what I think of them. Keep in mind that I have nothing to compare against, those are just my fealings.
Noise level 8/10 (a bit lound on concrete pavment)
Grip (overall) 8/10 (loose some grip when too hot)
Treadwear 8/10 (4500km done and not really showing any major wear, I even did a couple of lap on a circuit with them)

Hope this proves to be of any use.

Fab
August 15th, 2006, 08:04
Hey Mr. !!

9000km on the clock already. It really seems you can't stop driving the beast :D

By the way I will collect mine on Thursday 24th at 3:30pm to be exact HEHE... So we can meet to take some pictures for our RS6.com friends and go around Geneva.

To copme back to the topic we all agree tires are very important and there is some big differences between top brands.

Personally I haven't tried all top 5 tires. Pzero rosso are great but I understand you want to try something else (I am also like that...).

I recently put pzero nero on my S4 (previously I had pzero rosso, conti contact 2) and I like them very much : very confortable, low noise, great grip and they look really nice.

Have you red the post about Contisport contact 3. They seem great. I would personally try them. The PS2 also have a great reputation and are worth trying as well.

Ciao amigo

Fab

andreasm
August 15th, 2006, 08:14
I have the Michelin PilotSport PS2 on my RS4, and I have 9500 km on the clock… only 25- 30% of the rubber is gone at the moment, I can recommend these tires..

ct940pp
August 15th, 2006, 11:27
i suggest pzero corsa system- i have them on my rs4 and am impressed witht eh grip- my challenge stradale has the same tyres and the grip level is beyond belief- in the rain they are ok but you have to go slowly

Erik
August 15th, 2006, 11:37
How about slicks? :D

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9521&highlight=slicks

ct940pp
August 15th, 2006, 11:43
i use the rs4 as a everyday driver so slicks is not an option- in any case for april through october here in italy it is acceptable- i have allreayd order the dunlop m3 winter tyres that fit with the 19 inch rims! they have 255/35/19- and i think about the only available winter tyres with 19 innch on the market

Fab
August 15th, 2006, 15:21
I have been also wondering wether or not putting 19" winter tires on my beast but I choose to get 18" with 235/40/18 in order to get the best snow grip as possible.

In case of snow the 19" winter tires will not be of great efficiency. Of course it will be better looking.

@ct940pp : what about the the life of corsa tires. Can they afford 10'000km ? Anything below that is a bit too much for the budget in my opinion. But of course the grip should be fenomenal.

MR USER
August 15th, 2006, 19:30
MMM these are some really interesting opinions.

Bigrick: I liked the michelines onthe track when I drove with the RS4 and I had the same sansation as you regarding the loss in performance when too hot (about 3-4 seconds slower per lap over 2.30 minutes lap)

ct940pp: I like the idea of the corsas and I drive most of my time in Italy but I am afraid of the really poor grip I might get in rainy-wet conditions that I get araound Geneva most of the time as FAB knows well! I wonder how bad are they in moist/wet conditions and how badly they wear out?
By the way coming down valle d'aosta I had the chance of speeding with a 360 modena... I think the guy sold his car as soon as he got home to get a driving course and an RS4!!!!
;) :rs4kiss:

FAB: I agree with you on the rim choice for winter. Actually is not really a choice is the only thing we can do to get good winter performance.... Still I am trubled by the winter tyre choice.... we will see

I drove the whole afternoon in the desert with my latest toy a Yamaha Raptor 700 (quad bike). Although I had loads of fun and I love playing with this little monster I miss my Black baby sooo much that I want to quit my holidays to go back home and drive with her on twisty roads.....

Greetings to you all from sunny Egypt

Goldorak
August 16th, 2006, 05:19
I was looking at Summer and Winter tire choices over at Tirerack a few week ago.

For Summer Michelin PS2s seem like the obvious choice but Goodyear F1 GS D3s are also a good alternative if you don't mind sacrificing slightly on dry performance in favour of wet performance, treadwear and price.

For Winter I'd go with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s in 225/45/18. The standard 18" size is 255/40/18 but I think the narrower size with more sidewall better suits Winter driving conditions. Both sizes are just about perfect for maintaining speedo reading. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Fab
August 16th, 2006, 07:41
Originally posted by MR USER
[/B]By the way coming down valle d'aosta I had the chance of speeding with a 360 modena... I think the guy sold his car as soon as he got home to get a driving course and an RS4!!!!
;) :rs4kiss:

[/B]

I definitely see what you mean :D :D :D :D :D :D :rs4addict

MR USER
August 18th, 2006, 09:19
What are the min/max tyres measures we con mount on the RS4?
I know that narrow tyres mean more grip in winter on snow but how narrow we can get? can we put 17''? what about the other way around? 245 is the widest we can mount or we can go larger?

Fab
August 18th, 2006, 09:47
17" doesn't fit. The best is to go 18" with 225/45/18 (I go for this set up). Narrower than 225 seems much to small and the look will be definitely bad... The other Audi set up are either 235/40/19 or 255/35/19 max size (as summer tires).

All 3 being top speeded at 240km/h:cry:

The 19" options are expensive and not efficient despite the quattro.

KK265
October 17th, 2006, 22:23
i suggest pzero corsa system- i have them on my rs4 and am impressed witht eh grip- my challenge stradale has the same tyres and the grip level is beyond belief- in the rain they are ok but you have to go slowly

Are there real close up photos of the pirelli system?Are different front and rear?

cally
October 18th, 2006, 16:20
For me i would use Advan AD07 its very grippy and its not that expensive too...:rs4addict

onelove
October 18th, 2006, 20:31
I got 15,000 mile soff of my first set of contisport contacts and they are great in the wet!!! Just my .02c I also just recently picked up a new S4 and they have michelin ps2's and they are noisy as hell!!!

India Whiskey Charlie
October 18th, 2006, 22:21
Are there real close up photos of the pirelli system?Are different front and rear?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Corsa+System

KK265
October 18th, 2006, 22:36
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Corsa+System

Thank you for the response.I knew this site but i wanted to confirm that RS4s which are delivered with Pirellis have different tyres front and rear.Is there something special tyre for RS4 like porsches?

KK265
October 18th, 2006, 22:44
I got 15,000 mile soff of my first set of contisport contacts and they are great in the wet!!! Just my .02c I also just recently picked up a new S4 and they have michelin ps2's and they are noisy as hell!!!

contisport 2 or 3?What about dry and wet handling of michelin?

India Whiskey Charlie
October 18th, 2006, 22:49
Thank you for the response.I knew this site but i wanted to confirm that RS4s which are delivered with Pirellis have different tyres front and rear.Is there something special tyre for RS4 like porsches?
I don't think so. The 255/35-19 is only available as an Asimmetrico. I think all four tires are the same.

http://tinyurl.com/ycbt47

No, nothing special like Porsche specific tires. Just that Audi specifies certain tires from normal ranges.