PDA

View Full Version : R8 Final Countdown

RXBG
August 14th, 2006, 17:51
sept 30th in neckersaulm apparently. no sneak before then.

will be 2 seater!

any info? Quisha where are you?

Leadfoot
August 14th, 2006, 21:36
Where's neckersaulm?:vhmmm:

jmk
August 14th, 2006, 22:15
Neckarsulm is a city in northern Baden-Württemberg, Germany, near Stuttgart, and part of the district Heilbronn. As of 2004, it had 27.296 inhabitants.

The rivers Neckar and Sulm join there, hence the name, which is often misunderstood or mispronounced as "Neckar's Ulm", which would mean the Neckar "version" of Ulm which is located at the Danube.

The former NSU Motorenwerke AG are located here, nowadays belonging to Audi. The quattro GmbH is located here.
:D

Leadfoot
August 14th, 2006, 23:45
Thanks, it's understandable when quattro GmbH is based there.

Tanner
August 15th, 2006, 20:28
R8 is in California right now going through some testing I assume.

http://media.carster.com/news/081406.html

Benman
August 15th, 2006, 22:28
Originally posted by Tanner
R8 is in California right now going through some testing I assume.

http://media.carster.com/news/081406.html

Yep. Some of us took a tour of the Santa Monica Audi Design Center. Needless to say, there was some interesting stuff to see...

Ben:addict:

roadrunner
August 16th, 2006, 13:36
Originally posted by Benman
Yep. Some of us took a tour of the Santa Monica Audi Design Center. Needless to say, there was some interesting stuff to see...

Without the danger of imprisonment - could you get little moooooooore specific than that? ;)

Greets
Seb.

Benman
August 16th, 2006, 18:27
Originally posted by roadrunner
Without the danger of imprisonment - could you get little moooooooore specific than that? ;)

Greets
Seb.

Only some info and drawlings of upcoming products. Nothing much more than can be found here on the boards...:trash: Ironic since we all had to sign a waiver stating that Audi could take away our homes and lives if we dared devulge an ounce of what we were seeing.

Also got to see the process of start to finish of the engineering process of a concept. ZERO pics of any kinds allowed. In fact, all cell phones and cameras, purses, backbacks had to be checked in (not allowed inside). So no proof of anything we saw.:D

As for the R8... it is only speculation... looked like it under cover but the tour guide would not confirm or deny... others there that day may have had better luck than I (we were in groups of 10-15) as I had to leave early.:cry:

RXBG
August 23rd, 2006, 02:39
:D

Tanner
August 23rd, 2006, 14:44
Leave it to people in California to track down the R8, be a pest for the test drivers, to the point the testers had a bit of fun for the camera also!

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/23/video-the-audi-r8-undisguised-and-unleashed/

Sounds awesome.

roadrunner
August 23rd, 2006, 15:20
Originally posted by Tanner
Leave it to people in California to track down the R8, be a pest for the test drivers, to the point the testers had a bit of fun for the camera also!

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/23/video-the-audi-r8-undisguised-and-unleashed/

Sounds awesome.

I loooove the sound of the engine :bow:

RXBG
August 29th, 2006, 17:16
:dance: :heart: :wo:

Subzero
September 5th, 2006, 17:43
25 days to go:wo:

RXBG
September 8th, 2006, 15:06
18 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance:

Qisha
September 10th, 2006, 11:44
Dear Friends,

to tease you a little more, some more details:

the V8 is based on the RS4 Version, this you already know. It is modified by the following facts:

-dry sump lubrication system (for better lubrication during high g-forced driving and to fit the engine more lower in the chassis -> better overall weight balance)

-straightened air intake and shorter exhaust system (will let the engine "breath" easier and give it a better throttle response, enhanced sound as well)

-Magnetic Ride is on Board (two base settings, overall stiffer base set-up compared to the TT)

-power output increased... :D

Leadfoot
September 10th, 2006, 15:13
Originally posted by Qisha
Dear Friends,

to tease you a little more, some more details:

the V8 is based on the RS4 Version, this you already know. It is modified by the following facts:

-dry sump lubrication system (for better lubrication during high g-forced driving and to fit the engine more lower in the chassis -> better overall weight balance)

-straightened air intake and shorter exhaust system (will let the engine "breath" easier and give it a better throttle response, enhanced sound as well)

-Magnetic Ride is on Board (two base settings, overall stiffer base set-up compared to the TT)

-power output increased... :D

Quisha,

It looks like all the things we thought that the R8 was to come out with is comeing true, now all that's left is the DSG gearbox.

I know that the one filmed in the US had some form of semi-auto, was it the E-gear from Lamborghini or the DSG from Audi. Do you know and if so, will be able to tell us get?

What have you heard regarding this talk of a small engine going into the R8?

RXBG
September 11th, 2006, 03:36
i am all :D

thank you for the information quisha. what more can you tell us? two weeks is still a long time!

can you hint at a final power or torque figure? how about a sneak preview?

:bow:

chewym
September 11th, 2006, 07:31
Great stuff, thanks. Is the power increase bigger than 5 hp?

Qisha
September 11th, 2006, 09:54
Dear Friends,

i know you all cant wait to see the final version. Pictures are a no no. So let me describe some more details:

-the Engine is visible
-19" light weight wheels: 235 front, 295 back
-you will get LED day driving light, 12 per side, under main projektor going upwards
-to bring out the back air intakes, you can order the car with a two tone color combo
-no other engine set-up within 2007
-no smaller engine than the V8 (no plans so far)
-power increase more than 5HP :D
-you will be amazed by the weight :D

Leadfoot
September 11th, 2006, 12:43
Originally posted by Qisha
Dear Friends,

i know you all cant wait to see the final version. Pictures are a no no. So let me describe some more details:

-the Engine is visible
-19" light weight wheels: 235 front, 295 back
-you will get LED day driving light, 12 per side, under main projektor going upwards
-to bring out the back air intakes, you can order the car with a two tone color combo
-no other engine set-up within 2007
-no smaller engine than the V8 (no plans so far)
-power increase more than 5HP :D
-you will be amazed by the weight :D

You say we will be amazed at the weight, are you saying that it is quite a bit lighter than the Gallardo. If so then this will explain why there is no v10 engine at launch and only be added when the Lambo's power has to be increased as to have this performance gap maintained.

Will the S-Tronic gearbox be added when the v10 comes on board?

RXBG
September 11th, 2006, 17:09
"to bring out the back air intakes, you can order the car with a two tone color combo" what does this mean? is this referring to the side panel or something else?

also....................what is the final power figure?

are there titanium connecting rods?

how is the production schedule so far?

will there be a 20 inch wheel option?

will the car weigh less than a new 3.2 TT?????????????? yes or no???

:bow: :bow: :bow:

i'm dying over here.

Leadfoot
September 11th, 2006, 18:31
Qisha,

Help RXBG out here, quick before he .............. ah, to late, his just kicked the bucket.:D

On a happier note,

There's a cancelled R8 looking a new owner in Orlando, any takers.:hihi:

RXBG
September 11th, 2006, 18:41
:trash:

Qisha
September 11th, 2006, 19:56
Dear Friends,

the TT MkII 3.2 Manual is 1.410kg, 1.430kg for the S-tronic Version. A lot of high tech material went into production. I am quite sure you will be satisfied.

Zero Series Cars have already been buid and a few show cars. There is lot of marketing going on, so until the "regular" production starts its possibly end of October. If nothing fails you can place your orders at early October.

There will be wheel options.

I personaly like what came out of the LeMans Prototype. The building quality is amazing, most of it is hand-made. A factory Audi never sounded that good, it is new, even for me. It might be marketing strategy to bring out the V8 first, but this Engine is 100% Audi, from development to your first turn of the key... oohps meant push óf the button. :D

See, i am 6 ft. 3 inch. tall and i have enough room in this car. The Gallardo for example, i do have to use a E-Gear Version, manual is almost undriveable.

I would not compare the R8 to much with the Gallardo, even if some basics might look similar. Even if you do like the look of the Gallardo more than the R8 (but wait for the final version look), you will like the driving... better... my guess.

No S-tronic before its debut in a different car.

RXBG
September 11th, 2006, 20:49
any chance of a show car at the miami motor show the second week of october?

any hints at when we shall see the first photos?

i can't wait to hear the engine.....i hope it sounds something like the aston martin V8.

:wo:

Qisha
September 11th, 2006, 21:00

Dear Friends,

the R8 will not debut in Paris...

KresoF1
September 11th, 2006, 21:03
I heard something like that today from my dealer but, what does that mean?

I hope NOT Detroit 2007....

RXBG
September 11th, 2006, 21:15
but it will be in paris. quisha is specific about what he writes. but no need to fear. i am on top of it.

if i am not mistaken the car will officially debut at the home where it will be made, to gives status and attention to its birthplace..... but this will be only a couple of days before it is also shown in paris.....paris will be its SHOW debut

;)

jmk
September 11th, 2006, 21:24
Sheesh! It's Neckarsulm.... :rs4kiss:

Toto89
September 11th, 2006, 22:00
:vhmmm: If the R8 will weight around 1,4~1,5 tons and will have slightly more power than RS4, it could be nearly as fast as Gallardo, isn't it?

Iceman
September 11th, 2006, 22:06
Originally posted by Toto89
:vhmmm: If the R8 will weight around 1,4~1,5 tons and will have slightly more power than RS4, it could be nearly as fast as Gallardo, isn't it?
The RS4 is almost as quick as a Gallardo.

Hans.

Leadfoot
September 11th, 2006, 22:22
Originally posted by Iceman
The RS4 is almost as quick as a Gallardo.

Hans.

I don't know if anyone will agree, but I put this down to the quattro system over Lamborghini's own awd system. If you watch a Gallardo accelerating there is quite a bit of wheel spin, this is something you will hardly see with the RS4, it's quattro system controls the wheel spin into forward motion and making it accelerate almost as fast as the Lambo, even though it's down on power and is heavier. :D

Damienr8
September 12th, 2006, 00:27
Originally posted by RXBG
any chance of a show car at the miami motor show the second week of october?

i can't wait to hear the engine.....i hope it sounds something like the aston martin V8.

:wo:

I know I would find you snooping around this forum lol. In any case I have been digging around these and many other forums like a hungry bear looking for more info. I think I might have a stroke when this car is introduced.

Oh and I have to say. I expect the R8's V8 to sound better then the AM V8. :thumb:

RXBG
September 12th, 2006, 00:31
i think you'll find these pages (dare i say, members) a bit more cosmopolitan and sophisticated than AW's...

and more polite.

you'll catch me here when it debuts. or fourtitude.

i have my davidoff ready.

our man is qisha. FYI

AndyBG
September 12th, 2006, 00:43
All in all, we are looking towards one very interesting car...

RXBG
September 12th, 2006, 00:53
i trust you finally received my IM response?

AndyBG
September 12th, 2006, 00:57
Originally posted by RXBG
i trust you finally received my IM response?

Yes, I am.

You have a new one!

RXBG
September 12th, 2006, 01:52
i wonder if the factory might be celebrating an anniversary of some sort. perhaps the R8 will go into production on a special factory anniversary of some sort.....

:hahahehe:

Damienr8
September 12th, 2006, 04:42
I hope my co-workers don't worry when im ranting frantically in my office when it debuts.

That weight comment got me all disturbed....Is it in fact lighter than the TT???

Is audi going to tease us with something prior to the introduction!!!

Im gonna faint in anticipation now...:doh:

AndyBG
September 13th, 2006, 01:13
Some more pic's, I don't know did we saw these... but it can't harm to see them again...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/fotoshows/audi_r8.110008.htm

Toto89
September 13th, 2006, 14:53
I think we will need a R8 topic immediately:D

jonas21
September 18th, 2006, 16:53
I've just spoken with someone from Audi in say...a very high position and i've got some more details regarding engines:

The V8 (from RS4 +20bhp) with 440bhp is correct but there will also be a V10 *straight* from the start. Power output is around 510bhp.
Other engines will be available late 2007.

Iceman
September 18th, 2006, 17:36
Originally posted by jonas21
I've just spoken with someone from Audi in say...a very high position and i've got some more details regarding engines:

The V8 (from RS4 +20bhp) with 440bhp is correct but there will also be a V10 *straight* from the start. Power output is around 510bhp.
Other engines will be available late 2007.
Yes, a ± 370 hp 4.2 V8 FSI and probably Diesels.

Hans.

AndyBG
September 18th, 2006, 19:01
One question,

isn't that litle bit to much engines for this kind of car?

Four, if your count is wright...?

jonas21
September 18th, 2006, 19:27
Not sure about the other engines, i dont have any word from Audi on that. I doubt that the R8 will come with a diesel because its the R8 and not a R10. Also the V12 diesel is way too large for the trunk of the R8. (It doesnt even fit into the A8.....compare A8 and R8 trunk...).
This is a sports car and imo there is no place for a diesel (yet).
Qisha says that the V8 with RS4 engine is the smallest engine in terms of power output thus i doubt that there will be a 370hp V8 FSI.
However this all is still speculation. I only know for sure that the ~440hp V8 and the ~510HP V10 are coming. And personally...thats all i need (the V10 of course ;)

Damienr8
September 18th, 2006, 19:57
Not sure about the other engines, i dont have any word from Audi on that. I doubt that the R8 will come with a diesel because its the R8 and not a R10. Also the V12 diesel is way too large for the trunk of the R8. (It doesnt even fit into the A8.....compare A8 and R8 trunk...).
This is a sports car and imo there is no place for a diesel (yet).
Qisha says that the V8 with RS4 engine is the smallest engine in terms of power output thus i doubt that there will be a 370hp V8 FSI.
However this all is still speculation. I only know for sure that the ~440hp V8 and the ~510HP V10 are coming. And personally...thats all i need (the V10 of course ;)

440HP is hotness. Diesel would be nice but It's not my main concern. I dont think Audi will fit anything larger than a V10 into the R8.

However, as unrealistic as it might sound. I would love to see the V10 biturbo (lemans concept) find its way into the R8... IMAGINE THAT.

jonas21
September 18th, 2006, 20:08
Originally posted by Damienr8

However, as unrealistic as it might sound. I would love to see the V10 biturbo (lemans concept) find its way into the R8... IMAGINE THAT.

That would surely put the pricetag above 200k Euro. I am sure someone will just take the V10 and add turbo(s) to it...i'll bet 3-4 months untill someone does it.

Leadfoot
September 18th, 2006, 21:49
That would surely put the pricetag above 200k Euro. I am sure someone will just take the V10 and add turbo(s) to it...i'll bet 3-4 months untill someone does it.

Why not wait for the RS6 to come out, and then buy the turbos, cpu and do the plumbing yourself. :D

But do you really need more than 510hp. Like that the same as the M6 but with a possible 800lbs less weight to move around and we now how quick it is. This R8 v10 could easily walk a new 997 Turbo and if the talk is true about how good it handles, there is doubts on the need for Audi to keep Lamborghini.

I'm looking forward to the first group test with hopefully an M6 and a Porsche in the mix. I wouldn't even mind the Porsche Turbo beating it overall as long as it gave the M6 a bloody good hiding:wo: