PDA

View Full Version : Break in period for RS6

April03- GO
April 1st, 2003, 10:48
Friends driving M5: s asks me what recommendations AUDI gives in terms of "Break in period" for the RS6?
Anyone heard anything on this matters?

Erik
April 1st, 2003, 11:02
'The manual recommends that for the first 1000km not to drive faster than 3/4 of top speed, not to use full throttle and to avoid running the engine at "full speed", presumably meaning max rpm.'
according to MichaelJP in another thread.

For some reason all I know that have an RS6 have gone for long drives just after they got the car...wonder why?

Plexus
April 3rd, 2003, 17:22
I thought that the engines were pre run in the factory at Wellingborough, the engine builders.???:addict:

s6plus
April 7th, 2003, 16:40
first 500 km NO hard breaking...discs and brake pads have to wear in to each other..

Dave
April 7th, 2003, 17:22
The engines are run in at the factory but they still reckon you take it easy for the first 600 miles to make sure that everything beds in Ok.

You cannot have the variable service set up on the RS6.. which is a good thing as far as I am concerned...

so it's servicing every year or 10,000 miles.. it'll come up on your dash depending on how hard you drive it.

There is no first service at say 600 miles.... just at the first year

Dave

TheBrit
April 7th, 2003, 18:08
Originally posted by Dave
so it's servicing every year or 10,000 miles.. it'll come up on your dash depending on how hard you drive it.
Mine's indicating service in 800 miles which would put it at about 9600 miles.

I've checked the miles to service serveral times and if it's added to current miles, the projected "service due" mileage varies by a few hundred miles depending on how I've been driving, so I suspect some kind of variable service technology is used, but not extended service.

My 2.7t used to do 19,000 between services as did my S8, but I think doing 19,000 without an oil change in the RS 6 would be a bit scary to say the least...:bigeyes:

BBGT2
April 8th, 2003, 03:43
Audi has smoked their lunch and drank their dinner with those scheduled service intervals ( as far as I am concerned).
They also expect me to wait unitl 10k miles before they change my oil again (for free) they can keep it i call their oil change intervals nothing more that engine flushing. I have and always will change my oil @ 6k miles with filter of course and always use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 in all my cars. That is nuts what they want you to do yeah the pay for all your " maintenance" services but 5 oil changes in 5 years is WAY to risky for me its just oil.
There is alot of things they are supposed to do and if you dont ask them they wont be done, case in oint my cabin air filter was supposed to be changed @ 30k on my S 8 and wasnt until I confronted them about it, something about it not being dirty well the service schedule didnt say "if its dirty" it simply said to change the thing. I say, you gotta watch em,

Bajo :addict:

Thilo
April 8th, 2003, 06:28
Originally posted by Bajors6
I have and always will change my oil @ 6k miles with filter of course and always use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 in all my cars.

Hi Bajors6

I share your opinion, it's just oil and the car should be worth to change it more frequently. You write that you're using 10w30. Shouldn't you according to the RS6 manual use 10w40 or at least 10w35 (not more than 0.5 Liter) ?

Just a question from cold Switzerland :roll: :roll:

Regards
Thilo

BBGT2
April 9th, 2003, 14:07
Thilo,

I havent even seen a RS 6 manual, and didnt know that was the oil they were reccomending but to be honest I will probably still use the 10W30 instead anyway, it is a weight I have trusted and believe to be good all year long in any engine because of its viscosity. I have always used that weight in all my cars and is the only weight I have in my repair shop along 15w40 for the diesel trucks.