PDA

View Full Version : RS 4 article in Car and Driver

Aronis
August 2nd, 2006, 00:16
An interesting RS4 article in this months Car and Driver.

One, the RS4 has an S button just like the M button in the M5, so for you guys who were making an issue of that in the M5, what say thee now? I did not find a problem with that and infact it is a great way to save gas and perhaps engine life. Hell the first Vette Z06 had a KEY for that same thing - keep the teenagers out of trouble they said LOL.

Two, the only mention of the DRC ( and not by name) was the strange bouncing on the highway at times as the "diagonal shock system" was confounded by the highway bumps! Hey a little more info on that would be nice.

What kills me is that these SO-CALLED car experts don't spend a minute researching the real world info on the car, as perhaps they could have read a bit here about the problems with the RS6 DRC and perhaps looked into that and maybe, just maybe, mentioned that issue - HELL it is a Car NEWS magazine, and isn't that issue news worthy????

Mike

ZCD2.7T
August 2nd, 2006, 16:08
Just by way of clarification:

The "M" button can control myriad things on the M5, whereas the "S" button on the RS4 only affects throttle response and exhaust note. Not the same thing at all, and you DON'T have to push a button to get to the full helping of the RS4s power, like you do on the M5.

As for DRC, your (and others') issues are well known, but I would argue that those issues are irrelevant to the RS4 until someone proves that the systems are identical. This is highly unlikely, so I'd say we'll all just have to wait and see how the RS4's version holds up.

Sorry for your nightmare with your beast, BTW - it's been painful to read about.

Hy Octane
August 2nd, 2006, 16:50
Just so you know.. A few months ago, I was at Rusnak Audi in Pasadena which served as the staging/pit/maintenance shop for the debut of the RS4 here in the USA. There were a fleet of RS4's that were being maintained by a few Gmbh mechanics while the press corps test drove them around Willow Springs raceway and local mountains etc..

Three of them were sidelined waiting for replacement parts from Germany to repair the DRC..

There was also a yellow one a few weeks ago at Pacific Audi waiting for the same..

Go figure..

Aronis
August 3rd, 2006, 03:07
Originally posted by ZCD2.7T
Just by way of clarification:

As for DRC, your (and others') issues are well known, but I would argue that those issues are irrelevant to the RS4 until someone proves that the systems are identical. This is highly unlikely, so I'd say we'll all just have to wait and see how the RS4's version holds up.

Sorry for your nightmare with your beast, BTW - it's been painful to read about.

Keep in mind the issue at hand....

The Audi mechanics have a very poor track record fixing the DRC so even if the RS4 system is different, unless it comes with a blow up mechanic in the trunk who IS willing to call Germany for help, they are unlikely to be able to fix the RS4 suspension.

The point I am making is that YES parts do break, but the HASTLE that the consumer has to go through to get it fixed is the real problem. I don't find fault that a sysytem failed, its the response by AOA that is a real disappointment.

And I think that Car and Driver should have mentioned this issue. Just as they should mention the SLUG issue in the 4 cylinder turbos, etc. It's a car News Mag....afterall.

Mike