PDA

View Full Version : Official - The new Audi S3

Erik
August 1st, 2006, 10:31
The S3 has a furhter power-step of the 2.0 liters Turbo-FSI engine, with an output of 265 ps (exactly like the BMW 130i), with a torque of 350 Nm at 2,000 rpm. The Haldex 4WD system and the close-geared six-speed manual gearbox combine to let the S3 accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 5.7 seconds, top speed is (as usual) electronically limited to 250 km/h, while average fuel consumption on the di 9,1 litri per 100 km. For comparison's sake, the BMW 130i takes 6.1 seconds from 0-100 km/h and has an average fuel consumption of 9.2 liters/100 km.

Available only with the three-door body, the new S3 has 18"alloy rims with 225/40 tyres and 17" sport brakes. The ride has been lowered by 25 mm, the front has a chromed single-frame grille and big air intakes integrated in the front apron. In the back you can see a small spoiler over the back glass, a double chrome-finished exhaust tube.

In the interior you can find sport seats covered in a combination of leather and fabric, aluminium decoration and a special design for the instruments. Standard equipment includes foglamps, bi-xenon headlights and a multi-function display that includes the laptime timer.

The starting price for the Audi S3 is 35.150 € in Germany.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/sixcms/media.php/23/s31_450.jpg

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/sixcms/media.php/23/s32_450.jpg

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/sixcms/media.php/23/s33_450.jpg

jonas_dg
August 1st, 2006, 10:47
looks great, I really like the interior.. nice price as well

markwm
August 1st, 2006, 12:28
If you read the info posted on WCF

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/gcf/newsID/2060801.007/audi/new-audi-s3-revealed

Some things don't quite fit with the pics

buckets seats? twin oval pipes? grey rear diffuser? ally door mirrors?

tazsura
August 1st, 2006, 14:16
Hmm...the more I look at it..the more dissapointed I am.

The only way I'd get one was if it were black and with a set of LM's on it.

Still not a fan though

krm
August 2nd, 2006, 05:14
While aesthetically it looks somewhat bland (but love the Audi interior as usual), I think the drivetrain package is quite nice. Lots of tuning potential for the 2.0T, but hope it's not too much more expensive than the MK V R32 as that's already quite pricey for a hot hatch here locally. (HKD 408,000)

Duma
August 2nd, 2006, 16:58
I must be blind not to see this post... :doh:

i post a new threat here ->

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9687

my mystake.. on this link are bigger photos and some text

Leadfoot
August 2nd, 2006, 17:06
The new S3 is very good value for money when compared the the 3.2 S-Line Quattro. It approx £1300 more but you are getting a better specced car, a more powerful engine, better handling, a nicer body-kit and that all important 'S' badge.

I wonder will they be offering S-Tronic and Magnetic Ride suspension on the option list?

eazy
August 2nd, 2006, 19:33
Originally posted by krm
While aesthetically it looks somewhat bland (but love the Audi interior as usual), I think the drivetrain package is quite nice. Lots of tuning potential for the 2.0T, but hope it's not too much more expensive than the MK V R32 as that's already quite pricey for a hot hatch here locally. (HKD 408,000)

The Audi S3 starts at 35150 Euro in Germany. The R32 starts at 32500 Euro.
The difference isn't that big.

The R32 needs 6.5 seconds from 0-100 and about 10.7 litres fuel on 100km.
The S3 needs 5.7 seconds from 0-100 and about 9.1 litres on 100km.

You see, the deal isn't that bad ;)

greetings

eazy

Leadfoot
August 2nd, 2006, 22:51
eazy,

I must admit, I didn't compare the S3 with the R32 mainly because the R32 will soon become the R36. As we know the price of the R32 and can assume that this new Golf will command a price increase of £2K - £3K, this will put it squarely in the price bracket of the S3.

At present the R32 is regarded as one of the best hot hatchs on sale, able to pull the pants down on a BMW 130i M Sport and give a Subaru Impreza STI a good wedgie. Though it might be as fast as these two rivals, it's handling and grip more than makes up for it.

The point I'm making is the S3 will have to be at the top of it's game just to beat the R32 and when the R36 appears, no doubt it will have move the game on from where the R32 has left off, being both a better handling car and quicker as well. So will the reign of the S3 as Hot Hatch King be very short lived.

Does all this mean that Audi will be building a RS model after all?

Snook
August 2nd, 2006, 22:56
Originally posted by eazy

The S3 sounds like a bargain when compared to the R32! But still, you can have the Golf and the 130i with five doors. And that's what it is all about, isn't it? Cars at this size are made for having five doors. If you want a fast coupé - buy the new TT. If you want a hot hatch - buy the 2,0T q or 3,2 q A3 Sportback.

By the way, does anyone know if there will be an RS3?

minimad
August 3rd, 2006, 04:32
only 6 speed stick available? my wife will be very disappointed. Any DSG version in the plan? I really want to buy this car for my wife (but mostly for myself):hihi:

krm
August 3rd, 2006, 07:33
Originally posted by eazy

greetings

eazy

I surely hope the price difference will be equivalent of that you have in Germany. The spread between Audi and VW in HK vary larger than that hence my reasoning. For example, the A3 3.2 Quattro is HKD 499,000 (~50,000 Euros) which is about 10k Euros difference with the R32 sold here. I don't foresee the S3 to be cheaper than the A3 3.2 Quattro, if it is, then it's would be a slightly more attractive buy. The R32 will still seem like a bargain in comparison even though the performance figures are not entirely equal.

tazsura
August 3rd, 2006, 09:21
UK list for the 3Dr R32 Manual is £24,420
Autocar has UK price for S3 as £26,995

£2.5K difference is not too bad I don't think. The S3 will definately feel a notch above in terms of quality/fit/finish and it seems to have the edge on straight line performance too. AND we all know what we can do with a Turbo....

The only thing i'm questiong is that slowly but surely we're heading towards £30K for a 3dr hatchback!:MTM:

:s3addict:

Leadfoot
August 3rd, 2006, 11:51
tazsura,

I agree that the Audi will feel like it's from a class above the Golf, but most buyers of Hot Hatchs are young and are looking for performance before fit and finish. Yes the S3 is quicker and if Audi have done their homework, it's handling should be even better, what with the lighter engine. But the R32 is going to be upgraded to the soon R36 with something like 280-300hp and if I was a younger twenty-something looking for a Hot Hatch in the sub £30K bracket, I would be looking at the performance figures and a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds would catch my eye over one with 5.5 seconds.

Now in no way am I as shallow as that personally, but I'm not 20+ and I value brand image and quality. But brand image is different to street cred and ask any younger guy interested in cars which is the better car, an Audi S4 or a BMW M3 and you know which they will pick, it's all about performance. And though the S3 will be easier to tune, most people don't and to them the R36 will be the quicker.

If Audi do bring out a RS3, they get the price right something like £31K and use the new R5 TSi engine talked about for the TT-RS instead of the 3.6L VR6 of the R36. There's more character with a 5 cylinder engine than a V6.

tazsura
August 3rd, 2006, 12:20
Leadfoot,

I agree with you mate...most hot hatches aren't bought for the quality of fit and finsh. But i'm 21 and brand values, image and quality are very high on my list when I buy my cars, as they are on some of my friends of a similar age.

When I bought my Convertible I could quite easily of gone for an new Mk5 GTI or a used M3 but I like the image and class you get with Audi. When i pull up to a place in that rather than than a Hot hatch I get more respect/cred than I would have if I followed the crowd with their hot Mk4 GTI TDi's etc.... Likewise, my best mate bought his new 9-3 Convert instead of a Clio 182. Street cred is a funny thing.

But then again, maybe I'm not like other guys of my age. Like most of us who buy the Four Rings, we like having a bit more class and substance to our possesions. At the moment I'm changing my Leon...and have two cars on my list..a new 197 Clio or a used 02'-03' S3. No prizes for what i'll end up going for...!

:s3addict:

krm
August 3rd, 2006, 16:40
I really like the S3 and it's drivetrain package, but certainly hope the price does not deter a lot of us away (at least where I am from). I would also like to add that to my surprise, the interior fit and finish of the MK V R32 score high marks (near par with Audi imo) and those Recaro's are a must.

markwm
August 3rd, 2006, 17:11
Originally posted by tazsura
Leadfoot,

I agree with you mate...most hot hatches aren't bought for the quality of fit and finsh. But i'm 21 and brand values, image and quality are very high on my list when I buy my cars, as they are on some of my friends of a similar age.

You're 21 and have an RS4 Avant on the way?

Man, you gotta be paying some big insurance surely?

markwm
August 3rd, 2006, 17:14
The problem for me is that I have a 'not yet a year old' A3 S-Line Quattro with Votex kit.

I've had a deposit down on the S3 for a while and not I can see it I'm dissapointed, simply because it's just not different enough from the 8P.

In fact you could quite easily argue that the votex kit is more aggressive that then S3 bumpers. I'm gonna wait until I see the option/price list but I can't see me paying £10k + my car for an S3 that looks more or less the same.

If I skip the S3 I'm probably gonna be the new TT

tazsura
August 3rd, 2006, 17:35
You're 21 and have an RS4 Avant on the way?

The RS4 will be registered in my Dad's name and I'll get to drive it under our Company car insurance....

The insurance company wouldn't insure me to sit in it...let alone drive it otherwise!

steffenr
August 5th, 2006, 19:52
I love it, I want one in black :s3addict:

the price in Sweden is 326 900 s.kr. = 23941£
the R32 is 320000 s.kr = 23437£

I dont even dare to find out what its going to cost here in Denmark :cry: the r32 costs 569000 d.kr. = 51542£

Damn I'm glad to be moving to Sweden so I can get one:D

markwm
August 5th, 2006, 20:15
Originally posted by steffenr
I love it, I want one in black :s3addict:

I did some photoshops

http://www.meati.com/black.jpg

To be honest though, it doesn't looks so good in a real life picture...

http://www.meati.com/sprint2.jpg

steffenr
August 5th, 2006, 22:22
Originally posted by markwm
I did some photoshops

http://www.meati.com/black.jpg

To be honest though, it doesn't looks so good in a real life picture...

http://www.meati.com/sprint2.jpg

some coilovers, 19" BBSs and some tint on the windows it will be good to go:love:

and LOL "worldcarfans only":p

BryanF
August 15th, 2006, 14:57
The new photos of the S3 have just been released in Australia. They look good.I'm the very proud owner of a new Avus Silver RS4 sedan which replaced my wife's B6 turbo Quattro.

I want to get her an A3 but with more performance (she is a lead foot !)The price of an S3 in OZ will be over $70,000 and seems overpriced.

We can buy an A3 5 door Sportback 2.0 litre turbo quattro,6 speed manual (a must ),full leather,dual sunroof,18 inch wheels,an aftermarket performance chip,stainlees steel exhaust with power at 200 kw for less than $67,000 !!

I know there is no body kit and the interior is standard A3 (its my wife's car remenber) but in Maritius Blue with tinted windows and 18 inch wheels its going to look good as well as go very fast .... and it has 5 doors.

AndyBG
August 15th, 2006, 15:56
Looking, more than good !

Leadfoot
August 16th, 2006, 23:24
No doubt the S3 looks a lot better than a BMW 1series M/Sport, but already it's starting to look a little weeded even before it's release when compared next to this.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/gcf/spyphotoID/6060816.004/bmw/spy-photos-bmw-135ti

We always said it was underpowered.:vgrumpy:

Leadfoot
August 24th, 2006, 22:29
Hey, does anyone know why the S3 would be offered with S-Tronic?

steffenr
August 28th, 2006, 21:44
some more news about the new s3:love:

http://car.kak.net/Article5480.html

let me be the first to say "I LOVE IT IN WHITE":love:

Benman
August 28th, 2006, 22:13
Originally posted by steffenr
some more news about the new s3:love:

http://car.kak.net/Article5480.html

let me be the first to say "I LOVE IT IN WHITE":love:

Gotta admit, it ain't too shabby in white. Looks nice, especially the black & white interior. :thumb:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
August 29th, 2006, 08:08
It looks amazing in white as did the 'Shooting Brake' and the Golf GTI, but does anyone of us have the guts to buy it in white and watch our investment that a nose dive.

I would love to have the guts in buy my next TT in white, but luckily Audi aren't offering the TT in white in the UK....:vhmmm: I wonder why.

RacerBice
August 29th, 2006, 15:32
Cheeeezuz, that's a lot of marketing mumbo jumbo. :doh: But still, the car looks great, even if I can't really understand why anyone at all would want one in white. "Solar Orange" sounds exciting, though.

By the way, does anyone know how the weight figure of 1.455 kgs compares to that of a standard A3 2,0T Quattro Hatchback? The curb weight of the latter is specified in Sweden at 1.585 kgs, but I'm reckoning that the S3 simply cannot be 130 kgs lighter....?

/RB

Leadfoot
August 29th, 2006, 15:42
Originally posted by RacerBice
Cheeeezuz, that's a lot of marketing mumbo jumbo. :doh: But still, the car looks great, even if I can't really understand why anyone at all would want one in white. "Solar Orange" sounds exciting, though.

By the way, does anyone know how the weight figure of 1.455 kgs compares to that of a standard A3 2,0T Quattro Hatchback? The curb weight of the latter is specified in Sweden at 1.585 kgs, but I'm reckoning that the S3 simply cannot be 130 kgs lighter....?

/RB

The A3 2.0TFSi S-Line Quattro is 1430Kgs, are you not talking about the Sportback version?

RacerBice
August 30th, 2006, 08:21
Originally posted by Leadfoot
The A3 2.0TFSi S-Line Quattro is 1430Kgs, are you not talking about the Sportback version?

Thanks for that info, Leadie. But no, you see here official weight figures must include luggage, the driver and one passenger (if I remember correctly). Stupid, in my opinion, but I actually think that's even EU standard. Not that I really know much at all in the subject matter....all I know is that the Swedish importer specifies the regular A3 2,0T Quattro at 1.585 kgs and the corresponding Sportback at 1.635 kgs.

Anyhow, if the S3 is 25 kgs heavier than the 2,0TQ, then I seriously doubt it will reach 100 kph in as little as 5,7 seconds....

RB

Leadfoot
August 30th, 2006, 12:03
Originally posted by RacerBice
Thanks for that info, Leadie. But no, you see here official weight figures must include luggage, the driver and one passenger (if I remember correctly). Stupid, in my opinion, but I actually think that's even EU standard. Not that I really know much at all in the subject matter....all I know is that the Swedish importer specifies the regular A3 2,0T Quattro at 1.585 kgs and the corresponding Sportback at 1.635 kgs.

Anyhow, if the S3 is 25 kgs heavier than the 2,0TQ, then I seriously doubt it will reach 100 kph in as little as 5,7 seconds....

RB

I agree that with you EU standard, it will be unlikely that the S3 will hit 100Km/h in 5.7 seconds, but it should with UK standard. I reckon that the S3 will give the TT3.2 v6 a run for it's money.

markwm
August 31st, 2006, 01:21
S3 video, sounds horrible

http://auto-presse.de/fahrberichte.php?newsid=13329