PDA

View Full Version : Porsche to offer seven-speed DSG

Erik
July 27th, 2006, 11:02
Bring it on! For Audi As well.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060725/FREE/60724030/1024/makeview

Leadfoot
July 27th, 2006, 11:47
Erik,

Is it not Audi that has developed this gearbox for Porsche.

Erik
July 27th, 2006, 11:50
I think Porsche did it for VW.

AndyBG
July 27th, 2006, 12:20
Walther Rohl said that they have gearbox ready wright now, but they want be puting it in cars before 2007, they need to be 100% sure in realibilty of new ''PDK'' gear box.

nene
July 27th, 2006, 15:21
Sounds like I'll just have to wait a bit longer before I get my own P-car!

gabbby
July 27th, 2006, 16:25
The DSG gearbox was developped by the BorgWarner company !

BorgWarner is providing this gearbox to both Audi and VW, and Porsche...

The name change to S-Tronic is made to have an exclusive name for this gearbox, I think...

Gaby

Leadfoot
July 27th, 2006, 16:41
Originally posted by Erik
I think Porsche did it for VW.

Erik,

Are you meaning that Porsche developed the original DSG system for VW or are developing VW's new 7speed DSG?

If it's the first one, surely Porsche should taking credit for the system and not VAG. Also if they developed it, then why has it taken so long for Porsche to place it in their own cars?

AndyBG
July 27th, 2006, 16:50
Porsches gear box will be named, PDK (Porsche Dopell Kuplung)

Lateknight
July 27th, 2006, 19:18
I think I'm right in saying this was originally developed for Porsche in a 917 race car in early 80s.
It was known as PDK -Porsche Doppelte Kupplung ( Porsche Double Clutch )

Audi then tried it in 1985 in a Sport Quattro E1 rally car.
It was certainly used in the Rac Rally of 1985, in the number 4 Walter Rohrl/Phil Short car. (before he drove it into the scenery after a few stages).

Then it was Volkswagens turn a few years back to bring the design to the road, under the moniker of DSG (Dynamic Shift Gearbox)
Audi briefly used the DSG name, but would now like it to be known as S-tronic

PDK = DSG = S-Tronic

Its all the same in theory.

gabbby
July 27th, 2006, 23:52
All is false.

The DSG gearbox was developped by the BorgWarner company.

A lots of innovations were not developped by car makers, but providers. I remering the first time a dual clutch GB was done is on old race cars.

Lots of the car makers are only integrating other company's technologies. Dont think that most car makers like Porsche or Audi are developing such components like the gearboxe : it's false.

They only integrate it in cars.

1 ) Lateral Tiptronic (5 gears) is developpes by Jacto

2 ) Tiptronic (long) - 6 gears were developped by ZF

3 ) Multitronic CVT was jointly developped by Audi and LuK

4) DSG is developped by BorgWarner

So, the only gearbox partially developped by audi is the Multitronic !

Porsche, Audi, and many other car maker are buying gearboxes.

Gabriel

Leadfoot
July 28th, 2006, 10:05
I remember reading in a mag, the article was on the then new Bugatti Veryon. In the full story of the Bugatti, it said that the head engineer on the project was non other than the man credited for developing the DSG gearbox. I'm sure it said he was from Audi but it might have been VW. I know that it was BorgWarner who developed the gearbox for production, but it wasn't them who designed the system.

gabbby
July 28th, 2006, 10:26
It is posible that people moves from one company to another.... Poeple working in new technologies in company that are working with Audi or Bugatti are really closed to the car maker's engineers.

But, most of evolutions are provided by xomponents manufacturer, while some innovation are found by car makers.

Bosch, Siemens, Ricardo, FEV, etc... are developping a lot of technologies for the car makers.

Gaby

Lateknight
July 28th, 2006, 13:16
Originally posted by gabbby
All is false.

The DSG gearbox was developped by the BorgWarner company.

A lots of innovations were not developped by car makers, but providers. I remering the first time a dual clutch GB was done is on old race cars.

Lots of the car makers are only integrating other company's technologies. Dont think that most car makers like Porsche or Audi are developing such components like the gearboxe : it's false.

They only integrate it in cars.

1 ) Lateral Tiptronic (5 gears) is developpes by Jacto

2 ) Tiptronic (long) - 6 gears were developped by ZF

3 ) Multitronic CVT was jointly developped by Audi and LuK

4) DSG is developped by BorgWarner

So, the only gearbox partially developped by audi is the Multitronic !

Porsche, Audi, and many other car maker are buying gearboxes.

Gabriel

AGREED !!

But,if you read my post above carefully it does actually read ...developed FOR Porsche ...
Only about 10% of car components are manufactured by the car companies themselves - mostly the bodyshell and base engine components.

Everything else is manufactured by other companies, to a price.

Audi and Volkswagen are car assembly companies.

So when something fails on your car next time, it wont have been made by Audi. It will have just been put into your car by them.

gabbby
July 28th, 2006, 14:09
Ok ! I apologies...

Gaby