Now that is fast, the new RS6 will have to be something to beat that.:bow:

AndyBG
July 27th, 2006, 01:51
Impossible with ''QUATTRO'' on-board...

But, maybe...

Anyway, damn fast... !!!340 km/h!!!

clam
July 27th, 2006, 09:19
Top speed is about torque and aerodynamics. Quattro is only an issue with straight line acceleration. If the RS6 is going to be a torque monster, then its acceleration will probably benefit from having quattro, even with the extra weight and friction.

As a Coupé, the M6 has an aerodynamic edge on the RS6. Aerodynamic resistance increases exponentially. I once read that for the Testarossa to go from 180mph to the Diablo's 200mph, without changing its shape, it's power would need to go from 390hp to 535hp. The RS6 will need to pack a mighty punch if it wants to push its sedan/avant shape through the air as fast, or faster, than the M6.

I get a feeling we are headed for some kind of top speed war. A horsepower war is childsplay compared to a top speed war.

Erik
July 27th, 2006, 09:30
clam. Top speed has nothing to do with torque, but it is nice when you accelerate.

Top speed has more to do with power, gearing and aerodynamics.

Leadfoot
July 27th, 2006, 14:08
Originally posted by Erik
clam. Top speed has nothing to do with torque, but it is nice when you accelerate.

Erik,

You are quite right, power and gearing are very important, but most of all is aerodynamics and not just how slippery the shape is but how small of a frontal area there is cutting through the air.

I doubt that the M6 will be that much better than the current or next RS6 model. It is not an especially aerodynamic design. There is a few RS4 old model and RS6s that can break the 320km/h barrier, the problem is we are seeing a speedo indicating 340km/h not a GPS system. And I know this will start an argument, but BMW speedos aren't that great at showing the correct speed.

I was more interested in the way the thing accelerated.

Speedou
July 27th, 2006, 16:10
The real speed must be something like 320 etc. It's still a lot :thumb:

ghostsnake
July 27th, 2006, 16:58
Originally posted by AndyBG
Impossible with ''QUATTRO'' on-board...

But, maybe...

Anyway, damn fast... !!!340 km/h!!!

The old RS6 withought the limiter was touching 200MPH so I think its very possible.

AndyBG
July 27th, 2006, 17:15
Originally posted by ghostsnake
The old RS6 withought the limiter was touching 200MPH so I think its very possible.

I now, about those, ''310 km/h expiriances'' in RS 6, BUT, i THINK, correct me if i am making mistake, that tacho is litle bit more generous then it should be...

In RS 6 280 km/h = 250 km/h?

AGAIN, I AM SAYING, CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

Speedou
July 27th, 2006, 17:57
I asked my friend. He has the M6 and he told me that when speedo shows 325 the real speed was 305 (GPS).

jonas_dg
July 27th, 2006, 20:09
nice, but still waiting for the first amateur Veyron topspeed video :D

clam
July 28th, 2006, 10:36

power = torque + gearing (rotational speeds)

Power does not change with gearing as it is a product of torque and rpms, which are inversely proportional variables.

Acceleration interia and aerodynamic drag act on the car in the same direction. Both require Newtons to overcome, irrestpective of the speed of wheels or engine parts.

Leadfoot
July 28th, 2006, 11:14
There is a difference between BHP & Torque. If acceleration is all about torque then why can an F1 car out accelerate a Le Mans car. Power to weight is great for the F1 car but less so in Torque to weight.

gjg
July 28th, 2006, 12:15
Originally posted by AndyBG

I now, about those, ''310 km/h expiriances'' in RS 6, BUT, i THINK, correct me if i am making mistake, that tacho is litle bit more generous then it should be...

In RS 6 280 km/h = 250 km/h?

AGAIN, I AM SAYING, CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

yes, you are wrong - measured against GPS speedo on mine is 11 km off at 290 km/h.

:addict:

AndyBG
July 28th, 2006, 12:59
Originally posted by gjg
yes, you are wrong - measured against GPS speedo on mine is 11 km off at 290 km/h.

:addict:

I am very glad to hear this....

:0:

Erik
July 28th, 2006, 13:10
RS6...

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/RS6-315-2.jpg

But my best is a few km/h more in a RUF R Kompressor 996 C4.

AndyBG
July 28th, 2006, 16:23
RS6...

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/RS6-315-2.jpg

But my best is a few km/h more in a RUF R Kompressor 996 C4.

Ok, but question here is how correct is that RS 6 tacho...?