PDA

View Full Version : Z06 Flatout

sturs6
July 26th, 2006, 15:01
WOW!!! (http://www.motortrend.com/av/112_0606_sf_2006_chevrolet_corvette_z06_video/index.html)

Benman
July 26th, 2006, 15:16
What up Stu! Nice find. :thumb:

I think the most amazing thing about this clip is that it only takes the Vette @ 20 seconds to get from 20mph to 160mph!

I n c r e d i b l e! Absolutely amazing.

And I find it fascinating that people knock this car, saying, "It's only about straight line speed..." Funny how Erik just posted the results of it schooling the new 911TT and Ferrari 430 around a road course. Not an oval, not a straight line. No, a race track.

What's that? The interior is not on par with its European counterparts? Hmm... for $10s of thousands less, I think I can take it to Enrique's Upholstry shop and spiff it up a bit and still be waaay out on top.:hahahehe: :thumb:

Ben:addict:

sturs6
July 26th, 2006, 15:30
Very hard not to buy one of these... if the wife hinted at it I would have one in a matter of hours!!

Iceman
July 26th, 2006, 15:46
Just wait for the Corvette Z06 "Blue Devil" to arrive.
It need less than 7:50 min on the nordschleife to complete a lap.

http://www.americancarfans.com/spyphotos/6050701.001/6050701.001.1M.jpg

Hans.

Benman
July 26th, 2006, 16:34
Originally posted by Iceman

Hans.

Actually, 7:50 is for the "regular" Z06. Yep, it's that good! And I believe the regular Z06 did even better than 7:50...;)

Iceman
July 26th, 2006, 16:43
Originally posted by Benman
Actually, 7:50 is for the "regular" Z06. Yep, it's that good! And I believe the regular Z06 did even better than 7:50...;)

I say less than 7:50 min but how much less i don't know.
They say it will have a 600 hp compressor engine. :rolleyes:

Hans.

Benman
July 26th, 2006, 16:51

They say it will have a 600 hp compressor engine. :rolleyes:

Hans.

Yep. Overkill if you ask me. The 505hp motor works just fine. ;)

sturs6
July 26th, 2006, 18:06

http://www.americancarfans.com/spyphotos/6050701.001/6050701.001.1M.jpg

Hans.
That project has been destroyed and is possibly being replaced by... this (http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied_vehicles/112_0507_chevrolet_corvette_ss/)

JavierNuvolari
July 26th, 2006, 18:13
Damn that thing is FAST!:MTM:...If you guys continue to post more info&videosof the Z06 blasting european cars...I might actually end up liking it!!! as matter a fact I'm starting to like A LOT...

Cheers guys,

Javier

Leadfoot
July 26th, 2006, 21:05
Originally posted by Benman
What up Stu! Nice find. :thumb:

I think the most amazing thing about this clip is that it only takes the Vette @ 20 seconds to get from 20mph to 160mph!

I n c r e d i b l e! Absolutely amazing.

And I find it fascinating that people knock this car, saying, "It's only about straight line speed..." Funny how Erik just posted the results of it schooling the new 911TT and Ferrari 430 around a road course. Not an oval, not a straight line. No, a race track.

What's that? The interior is not on par with its European counterparts? Hmm... for $10s of thousands less, I think I can take it to Enrique's Upholstry shop and spiff it up a bit and still be waaay out on top.:hahahehe: :thumb:

Sorry Ben, it was me who was knocking the Z06. Though I will still stick with what I said, though it hellish quick and has possibly more grip than either the Porsche or Ferrari, it's not got their finesse.

I can understand why so many people are bowled over by this car and rightly so, for the money very few get close. But as for me I think I would settle for a Carrera S and bit less speed or if it was still important than a TVR 400R or the new Noble supercar. Both will be more exciting to own though either on sale in the US.

JAXRS6
July 27th, 2006, 02:26
That is, like you say, WOW! :MTM: :MTM: :MTM: Thanks, Stu! The Z06 just got a nice review in today's Detroit News, by a middle aged couple no less. Anyone interested can find it in a thread I started about the claims for a good ride quality, near this thread.

I have a question though: Just before launch in the video you found, there is a little chirp but not a lot of tire squealing. Then the speedo seems to get up to about 15 mph before he hits the juice.

Does that mean the time I clocked of (roughly) 3.4 sec to 60 is from 15 to 60 or zero to 60? And if it's supposed to be 0-60, why is the speedo showing around 15 mph when he launches?

sturs6
July 27th, 2006, 03:30
Originally posted by JAXRS6
That is, like you say, WOW! :MTM: :MTM: :MTM: Thanks, Stu! The Z06 just got a nice review in today's Detroit News, by a middle aged couple no less. Anyone interested can find it in a thread I started about the claims for a good ride quality, near this thread.

I have a question though: Just before launch in the video you found, there is a little chirp but not a lot of tire squealing. Then the speedo seems to get up to about 15 mph before he hits the juice.

Does that mean the time I clocked of (roughly) 3.4 sec to 60 is from 15 to 60 or zero to 60? And if it's supposed to be 0-60, why is the speedo showing around 15 mph when he launches?

I believe that he maybe doing a little left foot side step with the right on the brake and gas... aka powerbraking. That was the only thing I could think of. Or maybe it is just wheel spin.
I notice this...0-60 1st gear... 60-86 2nd gear... 80-120 3rd gear... 120-155 5th gear and at each shift the speedo jumps about 5 mph. Second gear looks small?
Please some one explain the speedo jumping.

JAXRS6
July 27th, 2006, 04:00
Originally posted by sturs6
I believe that he maybe doing a little left foot side step with the right on the brake and gas... aka powerbraking. That was the only thing I could think of. Or maybe it is just wheel spin.

I thought of those too, but

1. Powerbraking -- depressing gas and brake at same time -- causes the car to start internally hemorrhaging, so to speak, but the car doesn't move. It is a PRE-launch technique, as I understand it; speedo should remain at zero.

2. If there was wheel spin, why wouldn't we hear it? The little "chirp" came through; would that explain getting to an actual 15 mph?

Again, as you said, said,

Please some one explain the speedo jumping!