PDA

View Full Version : Reliability ratings: 3 of 4 bad for new Audis

JAXRS6
July 19th, 2006, 04:24
Check out this list on reliability from Consumer Reports. None of the German sedan brands look good, among Audis only the A4 looks good. The new larger Audis look bad and the S4 is at the bottom of its category, looking significantly less reliable than the GTO among others.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/types/reliability-comparison-index.htm

Then again, sometimes I wonder about this data. The Chrysler 300 is rated poorly, too, but numerous dealers tell me that just isn't happening. Don't know who to believe, but there sure are a lot of 300s around.

I guess my question is, do Europeans see this happening and if so, why is it happening? I recall Mr. Winterkorn promising to address quality/reliability issues; is that happening yet?

PS -- If link doesn't work, and it may not because I'm a subscriber to CR, let me know if you want me to copy and paste three lists with the newer Audis (Upscale, Luxury, and Sporty categories). They will show reliability in a best-to-worst order, but not the bar graph at the CR link that makes comparisons more meaningful.

SoCal
July 19th, 2006, 06:10
Originally posted by JAXRS6
If link doesn't work, and it may not because I'm a subscriber to CR, let me know if you want me to copy and paste three lists with the newer Audis (Upscale, Luxury, and Sporty categories).

Yes, please. Link works only for CR subscribers. Thanks.:bye:

JAXRS6
July 19th, 2006, 08:59
OK, here are the three groups with at least one Audi each, in descending order of reliability based on owner surveys of three most recent model years according to CR. Models less than three years old are based on data available, i.e. for one or two years.

This list can be a little misleading by not having the bar graphs for comparison to other cars. For example, although the A6 looks close to average in reliability on the second list below, its long bar graph to the left (missing here) says it is quite a bit below average. On the third list, there is little difference between the Crossfire near the top and BMW near the bottom. Then the GTO gets much worse, and the S4 worse still.

Upscale cars

Lexus IS300 (2005)
Acura TSX
Acura TL
Infiniti G35
Volvo S60 (FWD)
Audi A4 sedan
Saab 9-5 wagon
BMW 3 Series (2005)
Saab 9-5 sedan
Cadillac CTS
Cadillac CTS
Volvo S60 (AWD)
Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Jaguar X-Type
Saab 9-3
Lincoln LS (-108%)

Luxury cars

Lexus GS300/GS430*
Infiniti M35/M45*
Lexus LS430
Volvo S80 (AWD)*
Volvo S80 (FWD)
Acura RL*
Cadillac STS*
Audi A6 (V6)*
Jaguar XJ Series*
BMW 7 Series
Audi A8
Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan
Mercedes-Benz E-Class wagon (-101%)
Jaguar S-Type (-121%)

Sporty cars

Acura RSX
Chrysler Crossfire
Mazda RX-8
Mini Cooper S
Nissan 350Z
Mini Cooper
Hyundai Tiburon
BMW M3
Pontiac GTO
Audi S4

SoCal
July 19th, 2006, 10:49
Thank you.

JAXRS6
July 19th, 2006, 16:33
You're welcome.:D FYI here's how CR explains what model years were used:

"....Our latest survey, conducted in the spring of 2005, yielded information on more than 1,000,000 vehicles spanning the 1998 to 2005 model years. By looking at these data for past model years, we can predict how current models are likely to hold up."

Since we're about to enter MY 2007, in effect almost two years older than the cars here, there has been plenty of time to make improvements that should boost Audi's reliability ratings. My questions now:

Have changes been made to improve quality? What are they? Are they working?

Having been through some long downtimes early in the career of my RS6, I need to see rankings and ratings better than these to stay in the fold. (Unless I'm shopping for an A4, which has impressed me twice as a loaner. The new 6 spd automatic is a big improvement! But I'm not shopping for an A4, and when I do shop I probably will be looking for something bigger.)

Benman
July 19th, 2006, 17:21
Jax,

Got your PM.:thumb:

P.S... your PM box is full... time for that Spring cleaning.;)

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
July 19th, 2006, 18:10
I will answer why luxury brands mostly do bad and this reports.

It's all down to how we as buyers think. If it cost twice as much as an ordinary car than it should be twice as good, wrong. The perception of quality.

1/ Most of the electric are the same and when they go wrong in a car half the price we expect it, but not from the dear car.

2/ We think the dealer service should be better, we are paying more for it, but it's only the look of the showroom that is better. Better coffee and nicer seats but the customer service should be the same, why because you are dealing with people.

3/ Servicing cost, dearer for luxury cars. We hate paying the price, but the reason it dearer is the fact that these cars are at the cutting edge of technology and as such, things will go wrong, unlike the cheaper cars with older technology which is tried and tested.

This explain why the rest don't do well, part from Lexus. The question we all should be asking is what is Lexus doing that the rest aren't.

Benman
July 19th, 2006, 19:04
Originally posted by Leadfoot
The question we all should be asking is what is Lexus doing that the rest aren't.

succeeding...:applause:

Ben:addict: