PDA

View Full Version : Sad day, new addiction

mootsrider
July 14th, 2006, 19:31
I've decided after a long debate with myself to sell my RS6. It's a special one as it has absolutely no dings, very low miles (less than 15k) and was not sold until 6/2004 -- which means it has a long remaining no-charge scheduled maintenance period and, as a CPO car, is covered through 6/2010. This is a very rare combination -- and important given how much it costs to fix these things.

I really would prefer to sell this car to someone who is a true enthusiast -- ideally someone on or affiliated with this board, as I've learned so much here.

I'm selling because I'm now completely hooked on flying and am in the process of buying an airplane. I can't justify both the plane and the RS6 to my wife or to myself.

It is an Avus Silver car, silver interior, sport exhaust, nav (wood not carbon trim). If you know someone who would be interested, they can reach me at 650-450-0222. I am asking $70k. Thanks, Jamie

Menlo Park, CA

cc
July 14th, 2006, 21:31
Sorry to hear your parting, but understandable. We've managed to hang on to the plane, and still pick up a slightly used Beast, but keeping both IS expensive. I'm considering taking on a partner, as the a/c could be used more often and some costs could be shared.

What kind of plane? How far along are you in flying? Where do you fly out of? What kind of flying are you expecting to do? .:0:

IMHO, your asking price is a little high, even with the CPO - but maybe someone is looking for just that exact car

Kev.S
July 14th, 2006, 22:21
I was the other way round. I had the choice of a very nice Warrior 161 or the RS6. I chose the car when I worked out how much it costs to keep a plane in the UK (Approx double that of in the States). I don't regret the choice as I can now hire five different types of plane from my club when I want to go flying.

cc
July 14th, 2006, 22:55
unless you really, really need/use it for business.

We use it regularly for work, but if we didn't, renting would make more sense. Then again, there's something to be said for being able to jump in the plane, no scheduling, no seeking permission, no questions asked, and be 300 miles away in two hours (regardless of traffic!).

Being able to go into grass strips, fly to Canada, and get private instruction outside of the renter's flight school are bene's beyond the reach of renters here.

There are several well equipped new or near new rental 172, 182, Arrow, Diamonds, etc. available in my neck of the woods. And a couple SR22 airshares - most of which are better equiped than ours. Still, I like the freedom that comes with having our own thing.

The RS6 takes effort to rationalize, even if it gets used more. Coulda picked up any number of lesser machines to accomplish the mission - but few would have done more to leave work stress behind!

I guess some things just don't need to be rational...

drive safe, fly smart, be happy!

mootsrider
July 15th, 2006, 00:02
Thanks for your comments. I'm hooked on flying because I love the experience of flight, the technical aspects of the aircraft, and the navigation. Importantly, I think flying will enable more family time together.

I'm flying out of Palo Alto, mostly local pleasure flights. In the summertime when the weather is good, flying to Tahoe is infinitely better than fighting it out on HWY 80. Right now I just rent aircraft out of WVFC. Cessna 172/182s primarily. A family member of mine had a fatal crash in his baron, so it has taken me some time to get comfortable flying again.

The primary reason I'm motivated to buy rather than rent a plane is, actually, quite absurd. We have two labs in addition to a daughter, and I don't really feel like I'm being a good club citizen if I crate the dogs and still get dog hair all over the plane.

On the RS6 price comment, I have no idea where to price this car. The only local ones are at dealers in the high 70s, and they are not as nice as mine. I'd like it to find a good home and would sell for considerably less to the right buyer.

cc
July 15th, 2006, 00:30
Sorry to hear about your loss. Always difficult to hear, and even more so to get over. But I bet he would encourage your continued airborne adventures.

Ah, dog hair in a rental plane is superior to dog hair in your own plane, though. Nothing beats having your own to vacuum, or not, even so.

Sounds like fun - how well do the dogs deal with the noise? How does your family like flying? Sounds like you have some near-ideal territory to look down on!

I'm lucky - my wife's a student and should get her ticket this fall. She's a natural pilot and navigator - a seat-of-the-pants type, and dislikes the technical aspects. Our instructor trains his VFR students Cub-style: little or no need for instruments. You get really good at knowing the look and feel, so it was a perfect match for her. He solo's students at a 1800ft long 30ft wide strip, uphill on one end of the runway, and a cliff off the end of the other! Figures if you can fly there, you can anywhere! Just takes a whole bunch of hours in training, and she'll have to work hard to get through the technical-focused tests. But isn't it a real trip to safely do a stiff crosswind, or full-stall landing at a challenging field?! :bigeyes: Enjoy it while you can.

I sympathize on the pricing dilemma. Trying to figure out what to offer our car's original owner was tough. Prices are all over the place. I know a couple dealers have been able to get that kinda money, but also see listings here where very well-priced cars haven't moved. See what happens.

Benman
July 15th, 2006, 01:18
Originally posted by mootsrider
A family member of mine had a fatal crash in his baron, so it has taken me some time to get comfortable flying again.

On the RS6 price comment, I have no idea where to price this car. The only local ones are at dealers in the high 70s, and they are not as nice as mine. I'd like it to find a good home and would sell for considerably less to the right buyer.

Mootsrider,

My condolences as well.

As for the pricing. You can't go by other parts of the country. $70K, despite conventional wisdom, is not a bad price for a CA car with really low miles (just do an autotrader.com search for a 100 mile sweep of 90210 and see what prices you get ;) ). Yes, if it was in NJ, NY, TX, MI or some other state, I'd say price it lower.

The worse that can happen, is someone offers you less money...

Ben:addict:

paulhiggs
July 25th, 2006, 02:28
do you still have the RS6 available for sale?
If so could you send/post some pictures and features/specs..
Does the car have navigation/sat radio/???

Thanks
Paul