PDA

View Full Version : A8 windshieldwipers don't like change in temperature

Skaala
July 7th, 2006, 14:00
On my way home from work yesterday I was going to wipe some bugs of the window, and the wipers stopped in the middle of the window. I checked all the fuses, but they were ok. The next morning I drove to my dealer in Kristiansand and they looked at it.

The problem was that at the bottom of the wiper, there is a bolt with a bushing, fixing it to the car. The el-motor spins it around this. Audi have mixed a lot of metals in here, and with often and high temperature changes, the different metals begin to corrode, and eventually sease up without warning.

The dealer told me he had to order new parts from Germany, and it would take 2 weeks.... so I had to hope for 2 weeks without rain! When I got home, I thought -to hell with it, and drenched the bolt and wiper fixing (when it was still on) with the good old 5-56 I did this a couple of more times, and the next morning the wipers were as good as new...... later that day it started raining like hell. Good thing i didn't trust the local dealer who said it was "un-reperable" and that there was no emergency-solution.

I'm going to give him a piece of my mind when I come to change my oil on thursday :w:

he also told me this was a pretty common problem with A4 and A6 in Norway.... Anyone ever heard about this?

gjg
July 12th, 2006, 21:07
2 weeks to get a part from Germany? The dealer is out of his mind - should not take more than 2 days ..... not to mention the "replace, not repair" approach - did he come from Detroit?

Der Major
July 25th, 2006, 13:12
The same goes for germany. Same Synthoms. The wipers go all the way to the middle and then they stop.

As you said corrosion is the problem. Some sort of weakness of A4 A6 and A8.