PDA

View Full Version : Audi mechanic took my baby for a joy ride

discobiscuit
July 5th, 2006, 20:49
I took my baby in to have the oil and filter changed after the break in period. When i left it there it had 2666 miles. I only looked because i care for my car so much and i was only having the oil and filter changed because i love my car so much. You getting the picture.
When i returned and drove the car off the forecourt it had 2673 miles on the clock.
So i rung the service dept and asked why they had put 7 miles on my car during a test drive for an oil change. The guy says the workshop is some way away. Bullshit. The workshop is half a mile away (later confirmed by their service manger). So they would have had to drive it there and back 7 times to get that mileage. The mechanic then admits he left the ticket behind and had to return to the workshop. Okay then, even if he had to go all the way back thats only 2 miles. So the other 5.
The Service Manager rings me and says that they wouldn't have to take it out on any sort of test drive for an oil change and that he can't account for the extra 5 or 6 miles.
Nice.
Well i can account for the extra mileage. the f*****g mechanic took it for a spin. He even left his favourite dance music radio station tuned into the stereo.
Now i'm not an un reasonable guy. You just don't expect an Audi garage mechanic to take the piss with a flagship car left in their care.
I will be reporting the incident to Audi UK and perhaps various car mags unless these idiots give me some sort of reasonable explanation or free servicing for the waranty life as they abvused my car and my trust.
Wow. The whole situation beggars belief. They are getting back to me on Monday when one of the directors returns from some trip. They better bend over backwards to make this right or i'm gonna go mental.
Phew rant over.
Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before? What can i do?
:vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy:

Mr Balsen
July 5th, 2006, 21:09
Unfortunately, you are not the only one. I have heard same story from S4 / RS4 or RS6 french owners.

Once I went to an Audi dealership near Paris with my Audi Sport Quattro. I left the beast in the workshop to walk to the part store. When I came back looking at different cars in the workshop, I heard two mechanics saying "we are going to have fun during lunch time" not knowing I was the owner. You should have seen their face when I replied "not even in your dreams" ! ! !

Cheers,
Frederic

dxben
July 5th, 2006, 22:10
The way to avoid this is to verbally note the mileage to both the valet at the dropoff (if your dealer has one) and the service rep who you explain your issues with.

Tell them both that you expect no mileage based on the type of service you're geting, and have them explicitely confirm that there will be no mileage.

That way, you stand a much better choice of avoiding this. If they go through with it anyway, they are even in a worse situation than had you said nothing at all.

gjg
July 6th, 2006, 03:43
I always put a writen note "NO TEST DRIVE" - some of you may remember that my first rs6 got totaled while in for service, by a mechanic.

:doh:

Goldorak
July 6th, 2006, 04:03
Originally posted by gjg
I always put a writen note "NO TEST DRIVE" - some of you may remember that my first rs6 got totaled while in for service, by a mechanic.

Wow, that's nuts. Do you have a link to the thread?

tazsura
July 6th, 2006, 09:21
That takes the piss discobiscuit,

I must admit that both of the Dealers that I have encountered during owning Audi's always make sure that I am aware of the mileage that my car has as soon as it enters the workshop. Therefore, it would be immediately obvious to tell if it has been taken out for s joy ride.

Maybe when informing Audi UK of your experience, you should suggest that Audi make this common practice throughout their dealer network.

It shouldn't happen, especially when your paying for a quality product and service..but i guess you can't counter for all the numb-nuts around the world.

MR USER
July 7th, 2006, 07:26
Honestly if I was he mechanic I would do the same!!!!
Is such a nice car!!!! I could not resist the temptation.

I have one myself and I know that from the owner point of view is not nice at all specially if proper care was not taken when the car is cold.

I hope they did not cause any problem, you could ask the garage to change all your sperkplugs as you want to make sure that you will not run in any engine problem.

Benman
July 7th, 2006, 20:54
Originally posted by gjg

It's ok. It all worked out in the end as George ended up with the :addict: + .:thumb: :D

Ben:addict:

lam4r
July 8th, 2006, 09:50
If they dont play ball threaten to report them to the Police. The mechanic in question has taken your vehicle without your permission which is a criminal offence carrying a maximum of 6 months imprisonment and a discretionary disqualification/penalty points. The extent of your authority for them to use the vehicle has been exceeded, proven by them being unable to account for the Bermuda Triangle missing miles.

Threaten to speak to the local newspaper too. You may find they soon bend over backwards to help you. But make sure you get any offers from them in writing.

None of this needs to be done in a nasty way, just point it out to them and show them you know what you are talking about and you mean business.

discobiscuit
July 8th, 2006, 18:49
Thanks IamR.
They are ringing me monday and now i feel better prepared. I have thought about saying i am prepared to sign an affidavit stating the change in mileage, so yes i will mention the police and newspapers too.

cheers