PDA

View Full Version : Which oil are you using?

jonas21
July 3rd, 2006, 20:01
Since my next oil change (according to service) is in the next 1000km, i am wonder what oil people are running nowadays. I am hearing good things about Mobil1 5W50, what are you running?

Mr Balsen
July 3rd, 2006, 20:57
I can only recommand Castrol RS 10W60 for the RS6. This oil is used by MTM.

Cheers,
Frederic

mi021le
July 3rd, 2006, 23:04
champion racing blew a motor on mobil 1 i heard

jonas21
July 3rd, 2006, 23:21
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
I can only recommand Castrol RS 10W60 for the RS6. This oil is used by MTM.

Cheers,
Frederic

Hi Frederic,

you mean "Castrol RS Sport Racing Syntec SAE 10W-60" right?

I see Castrol also has a "TWS 10W-60", apparently this is used by BMW for the M-series.

jonas21
July 3rd, 2006, 23:22
Originally posted by mi021le

Any specific details?

Radiation Joe
July 4th, 2006, 18:37
Originally posted by mi021le

Yeah. Mustuv been the oil. Most race engines that blow do it because of the oil. :revs:

alex_s3
July 5th, 2006, 11:54
We have recently changed to TWS 10W-60,
it is brilliant for racing and high tempratuers.. Tuners like Dahlback use it :burnout:
We are going to drive on the autobahn soon,
so I think its worth it, even if the oil cost 22,5 $ per litre. :eek:

BBGT2
July 5th, 2006, 13:03
I thought the RS6 had to use the special VAG oil that was only available thru the dealers? Otherwise the warranty was voided.
Did VAG change that at some point?
Bajo

jonas21
July 5th, 2006, 13:14
Originally posted by BBGT2
I thought the RS6 had to use the special VAG oil that was only available thru the dealers? Otherwise the warranty was voided.
Bajo

No, thats still true. However i am hearing that many guys are changing to 10W60 or 5W50 oil due to numerous advantages. And the big tuners do it....i am sure they know what they do.

gregoryindiana
July 6th, 2006, 04:49
Originally posted by BBGT2
Bajo

This requirement was USA specific, I believe. Don't know any more, but I can only speculate that AoA were worried about our hot Southern and western climates, moreso than high speed driving. Sitting in a traffic jam in a Phoenix July day at 112 degrees F or 44plus degrees C would be hard on any car and its oil.

gjg
July 6th, 2006, 12:46
This requirement was USA specific, I believe

nope, in English nad German manuals in Europe it says specifically, bold letters, VW 505.01 specs oil (5W40). we have issues with stealer who put in "long life" oil and had to drain it and supply oil per specs. :thumb:

jonas21
July 6th, 2006, 13:03
Originally posted by gjg
we have issues with stealer who put in "long life" oil and had to drain it and supply oil per specs. :thumb:

Someone stole your car and did put in the wrong oil? :) You probably mean "dealer"?

HellRaiser
December 5th, 2006, 01:20
i´m removing this thread from the ashes just to ask you guys something!;)

I´m using valvoline 10w60 in my S6 is that ok?

i was using liqui molly 10w60 but now i just can´t find it! So i changed the oil!

And other question, what temperature is your cars oil working?

In traffic, when your reving it´s guts out, when you drive slow, etc, etc!

I would really appreciate if some of you answered this!:blush:

Radiation Joe
December 5th, 2006, 14:49
Normal summer time oil temps around 90-100C. Hard driving can bring that up over 125C.
Winter oil temps around 65C with outside temp below 0C.

Good synthetic oils can handle these temperatures easily. However, the life of the oil suffers somewhat. There are labs that will test your oil and make recomendations regarding when to change. They are your best source for information regarding oil properties.

My personal opinion is that 10,000 miles is fine for an interval even with some hard driving. A lot of time at elevated temps should indicate a shorter interval. I cannot speak to the quality of various oils. The chemistry and physics involved with modern oils is so far beyond a layman's knowledge that a discussion on one of these boards is like throwing darts in the dark.

Good luck,
Joe

Hy Octane
December 5th, 2006, 16:30
Well, if you are in the USA and are still under warranty, you best check with AoA to make sure that using anything other than the 505.01 specified in the manual wont void your engine warranty.

HellRaiser
December 5th, 2006, 22:16
very helpfull indeed!

Mine is doing 120º when i do some miles at top speed!

Should i consider it normal ,then?:vhmmm:

skiwi
December 6th, 2006, 06:31
i understood that the vw stipulation was a specification only and as long as an oil mets of exceeds it you are ok.

also it should be noted that there is an oil condition monitor on the engine which job it is to evaluate the driving style/habits and modify the oil change interval accordingly...

Leadfoot
December 6th, 2006, 13:49
As I have a maintenance contract with my Audi, get not only my service covered but also any oil needed between services. So as my car needed oil the other week I went to a VAG dealer to get the litre of oil I required, as most I would have thought that it would have been VAG oil, but no the oil was Castrol Edge 5W-30. According to them, this is the oil recommended by VAG for an S4v8, I don't know if the RS6 with it's turbos will make much of a difference but this might be the right oil to use.

bbigman2000
December 6th, 2006, 17:33
My Dealer uses 10w-40 Castrol. Semi Synthetic.

gjg
December 6th, 2006, 22:54
factory spec oil for RS6 is 5W40, VW505.01 diesel oil

rtfm :idea:

GEN XER
February 11th, 2009, 03:09
Here I go again dredging. I don't know about other countries but in America no manufacturer can specify to use there oil only unless they are prepared to provide that oil for free. As long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the recommended standards it will not void your warranty.

See the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Below
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2669.html

hahnmgh63
February 11th, 2009, 13:49
Castrol Semi-synthetic doesn't meet Audi's requirement. It would technically void your warranty if you still have it. Only a few full synthetics meet Audi/VW 505.1 Even in the good old USA, Audi/VW do and can specify oils that meet 505.1, there are more than one brand that meet this spec. They do not say which brand to use, just that it must meet this specification.

snoopra
February 11th, 2009, 16:09
I only use Valvoline or Castro 5W40, VW505.01. I'm gonna try the AMSOIL brand which has a good track record for engine oil filters and high pro oils.

allwheelsdriven
February 11th, 2009, 16:18
there are some interesting threads on the oil nerd board, www.bobistheoilguy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) about finding a good oil for the RS4:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1367326&fpart=1

speaking of oil...anyone have any experience with excessive consumption?

GEN XER
February 11th, 2009, 17:02
Castro 5W40 is actually a good oil. I do oil analysis on my oil and the 5w40 when I was using it in my hemi did fine up to 6K miles. It maintained a 5.5 TBN even at 6k miles. I am not big on Mobile 1 as many oil analysis show at 3K miles the TBN falls down around 1 or 2. M1 in my opinion lives on there name because if you look at the physical make up of the oil there is not much to write home about. They have low Phosphorus and Zinc properties, these are the two anti-wear compounds in oil. The previous owner of the car used VW505.01 so Ill send off a sample to see how this oil does over 10k miles and find out how the engine is doing after nearly 65K miles. I use custom blended oils from a company called BND Auto. The oil is called Quantum Blue, Brian the owner is looking at the make-up of the RS6 engine now to see if he can custom blend a solution for me.

AWD if you are past break-in and the engine has no leaks and you still have consumption issues it may be the oil you are using creating to much carbon/ burnoff. This is usually due to excessive heat build-up or hotspots in the engine that certain compounds in the oil cant take and they simply burnoff. If you break your engine down you will probably find sludge build up inside some component where its to hot for the oil you are using and its just being burned up. What car is having this issue?

GEN XER
February 11th, 2009, 17:05
I only use Valvoline or Castro 5W40, VW505.01. I'm gonna try the AMSOIL brand which has a good track record for engine oil filters and high pro oils.

Note: Only the XL 7500 series oils are API certified. The rest are not certified because they have to much phosphorus. I think its crap because phos is what actually protects the engine from wear, but now all of a sudden the EPA says phos is harmful to cat converters, as if we have not been using cats since 1975.

hahnmgh63
February 11th, 2009, 18:01
I hear you on Mobil1 GEN XER. I'm sure the only reason it is used by some OEM (Porsche, etc...) companies is that wear characteristics are tolerable and that Mobil pays these companies good money to use their oil which is a big cost savings to the companies. As far as oils are concerned, I like Redline which has the lowest HTHS (High Temp High Sheer) ratings that I've seen. Some specialty oils don't test their products to the Euro standard so who knows on some of the Boutique oils. Amsoil is a close second to Redline in the HTHS category, whereas Mobil is much lower. I will say this again, if you are going to insist on using Mobil1 in your Audi, only use the 0W-40 (In North America) as this is the only Mobil1 oil over here that meets Audi/VW HTHS limits, but just barely.

DuckWingDuck
February 11th, 2009, 18:24
FWIW, my dealership uses Castrol

GEN XER
February 11th, 2009, 18:30
I hear you on Mobil1 GEN XER. I'm sure the only reason it is used by some OEM (Porsche, etc...) companies is that wear characteristics are tolerable and that Mobil pays these companies good money to use their oil which is a big cost savings to the companies. As far as oils are concerned, I like Redline which has the lowest HTHS (High Temp High Sheer) ratings that I've seen. Some specialty oils don't test their products to the Euro standard so who knows on some of the Boutique oils. Amsoil is a close second to Redline in the HTHS category, whereas Mobil is much lower. I will say this again, if you are going to insist on using Mobil1 in your Audi, only use the 0W-40 (In North America) as this is the only Mobil1 oil over here that meets Audi/VW HTHS limits, but just barely.

You are correct. I just got off the phone disscussing this very thing. I run a custom blended 12.5w40 in my GTI VR6, all the analysis have come back with wear at or below normal national avgs. Brian blends his oils for the car, so if its a Euro, then its going to meet the min standards for the car first then concentrate on the custom part.

You are spot on with the 0w40 M1. Its the only oil M1 makes thats close to meeting VW/Audi specs. I still would not trust it for 10k miles w/o oil analysis. Let me be the first guinea pig though. I will let you know how the progress goes with 3/6/9K mile oil analysis.

Check out his site. Click on Quantum Blue Lubes
http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/901818.htm

Skaala
February 11th, 2009, 20:46
On the RS2 I normally use Agip 10w60 Racing. I have slightly higher oil pressure (2,0bar vs 1,8) on idle with warm engine than with the Castrol Edge 10W60 I tried a few weeks ago. I also got a slightly lower oil temperature on the nordschleife with the Agip oil.

GEN XER
February 11th, 2009, 20:46
Castro 5W40 is actually a good oil. I do oil analysis on my oil and the 5w40 when I was using it in my hemi did fine up to 6K miles. It maintained a 5.5 TBN even at 6k miles. I am not big on Mobile 1 as many oil analysis show at 3K miles the TBN falls down around 1 or 2. M1 in my opinion lives on there name because if you look at the physical make up of the oil there is not much to write home about. They have low Phosphorus and Zinc properties, these are the two anti-wear compounds in oil. The previous owner of the car used VW505.01 so Ill send off a sample to see how this oil does over 10k miles and find out how the engine is doing after nearly 65K miles. I use custom blended oils from a company called BND Auto. The oil is called Quantum Blue, Brian the owner is looking at the make-up of the RS6 engine now to see if he can custom blend a solution for me.

AWD if you are past break-in and the engine has no leaks and you still have consumption issues it may be the oil you are using creating to much carbon/ burnoff. This is usually due to excessive heat build-up or hotspots in the engine that certain compounds in the oil cant take and they simply burnoff. If you break your engine down you will probably find sludge build up inside some component where its to hot for the oil you are using and its just being burned up. What car is having this issue?

OR it could be the PCV valve.

The PCV valve is used to evacuate the solvent fumes from the crankcase. So solvent refined oils also absorb acid, carbon, and moisture. This contributes to your oil level going down! As early as 1800 miles, your oil is spent. Their pumpability, wearability, and oxidation stability are also marginal.

AndrewNC
February 12th, 2009, 06:23
I switched to Motul 505.01 Specific recently. Will see how the analysis comes out. Sticking with oils on the list until my CPO runs out.