PDA

View Full Version : So I picked up an 05 S600 last month and I cannot believe how badly it smokes my RS6.

DaveyKid
July 2nd, 2006, 18:28
I mean it wasn't even close. I know it's a fast car and I know I wouldn't attempt a fast turn with it either but for flat out acceleration it was embarassing.

So, a buddy of mine and I drive down from Chicago to pick it up from an MB dealer in Bowling Green, KY and we drive my RS6 down there. For the ride home my friend (DH Press on the audiworld board) drives my RS6 while I drive the S600 home. Ok, so it has a HP and TQ advantage on the RS6, but it's also 600 pounds heavier so I figured that would more than negate the difference. Nope. We tested them both from varying speeds and not once could the RS6 keep up with it, and I'm not talking like 1/2 a car length either. From 70-120ish I was ahead of the RS6 by a minimum of 4 car lengths. Off the line I had him by 3 car lengths to around 80. From 100 -??? (ok, maybe 140 or more) the S600 pulled like a freight train and whooped my RS6.

Can't blame heat soak as both are twin turbo charged. Can't blame varying temperature conditions as these were side-by-side comparisons. I was stunned.

Yes, my RS6 is in perfect working condition. No, the S600 is not chipped. Yes we were launching at the same time and I even gave the RS6 the advantage of launching before me only to reel him in and walk away from him. The RS6 couldn't even get off the line much better where I thought he would walk me, to a point.

That S600, when on full throttle starts to spin the wheels around 25 mph. It's strange as the full boost/torque kicks in around then.

Assuming the E55 is a little quicker, the SL55 even quicker, then you have the S65 and the grand daddy of them all, the McLaren SLR, I can't imagine what that must pull like. Speaking of S65, there was one on the lot they were trying to sell me. The guy flips me the keys and tells me to take it for a spin while they are finishing the inspection on the one I am buying. I tossed them back and told him no thanks. I didn't need to drive out with that one instead.

I'm a member out at Autobahn Country Club as well as a driving instructor for a group out there that sometimes helps out with larger events. I had the opportunity to take the S600 on the north track when it was empty and do some off the line drag runs and it's neat how the limited slip works with traction control off. I left alternating patches down a straight, off the line, equally spaced. As one wheel started slipping the other grabbed and the other released. Then vice versa and so on and so forth. Left about 12 alternating left/right black patches down the straight.

Oh well, so my RS6 is now my 3rd fastest in my driveway. Oh yeah, did i mention my R32 is now HPA turbocharged? 450 horses in a nice small 2900 pound package.

Klint
July 2nd, 2006, 21:08
Those big forced inductioned Mercs sure fly.

The S class is in the 'class' above the RS6, it'd be fairer to place the S8 against the S600.

mi021le
July 3rd, 2006, 01:41
ur talking about a biger motor and a lot of things. 264 ci rs6 motor to the 351 ci e55. theres no replacement for displacement. ;)

BBGT2
July 3rd, 2006, 02:11
The Benzes make the Audi RS6 look like its not even accelarating.
The S8 would not have a chance in hell against the S55 or the S600.

Bajo

Klint
July 3rd, 2006, 08:33
Originally posted by BBGT2
The Benzes make the Audi RS6 look like its not even accelarating.
The S8 would not have a chance in hell against the S55 or the S600.

Bajo

Bajo,

Very true. I started to think the same soon after posting.

The S55/65s and S600 are in a class of their own when competing with Audi.

Erik
July 3rd, 2006, 08:52
Thanks for the story. You have a nice taste for cars. :0:

DaveyKid
July 3rd, 2006, 12:28
$80K car to a $130K. Just found it interesting.

clam
July 3rd, 2006, 13:13
I'll need to put it in my signature: "quattro is an acceleration disadvantage, with the expection of low grip conditions". As both are heavy cars that put a lot of vertical force on the tyres, I don't think the tyre's grip will be exceeded. Electronic traction controle will have perform better than quattro as it doesn't need to rotate and carry 100kilgrams of AWD driveshafts and differentials. Quattro is all about accelerating out of a corner.

That, a 270Nm deficit (Porsche Boxster engine), and a 3 year technology-evolutionairy gap*... makes the outcome of the race no surprize. In fact I think the E55 that co-exsisted with the RS6 was already faster to accelerate, and cheaper to buy. Though not as smooth a ride.

*The automatic transmission of the new MB cars shifts faster than a manual. Almost as fast as a double clutch transmission. That has a big impact on its acceleration performance.

DaveyKid
July 3rd, 2006, 16:17
torque at 590 to handle it. The S55 does however use the new 7 speed transmission. The S600 still uses the old 5 speed.

Yes, I'm well aware of the quattro disadvantage having owned a few Audis in the past and currently the owner of an S4, R32 (same principle) and an RS6. Off the line acceleration in the S600 still requires throttle feathering/modulation while the RS6 is a mash and go proposition. I expected the RS6 to have the advantage off the line but even with wheel spin the S600 is so much faster the wheel spin was negated by the additional pulling power.

Benman
July 3rd, 2006, 17:17
Originally posted by DaveyKid
$80K car to a $130K. Just found it interesting.

AH... and there's the key.;) Great write up though.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

Hy Octane
July 3rd, 2006, 17:47
Also, the RS6 is actually only getting about 360+hp at the wheels whereas the MB will be making at least 450hp...plus the torque differential and the above mentioned items..
But the RS6 wins in the looks dept..:thumb:

DaveyKid
July 3rd, 2006, 23:14
The R32 is lowered and it gives it that wide aggressive look, plus the fenders are flared like the RS6. No doubt my RS6 is my favorite car.

Benman
July 4th, 2006, 00:07
No doubt my RS6 is my favorite car.

Despite all the extra power the new Merc makes, he still has a spot in his heart for the Ol' :rs6kiss:

Ben:addict:

DaveyKid
July 4th, 2006, 02:06
I would never sell it and I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to drive it. It's truly a 365 day/yr car.

absent
July 4th, 2006, 06:20
[B] The S55 does however use the new 7 speed transmission. The S600 still uses the old 5 speed.
]
S55 uses 5 speed tranny as well,the new S550 uses 7 speed....

DaveyKid
July 4th, 2006, 06:41
To be honest, I'm not even sure which MB uses the 7 speed. Sounds like a nice trans though.

BBGT2
July 4th, 2006, 08:41
To be honest, I'm not even sure which MB uses the 7 speed. Sounds like a nice trans though.

AFAIK all AMG cars use the 5speed due to torque handling issues, dont know about the new AMG63 series though. The early ones though had to use the AMG tuned 5 speed gearbox, whereas all the other Non-AMG cars had the 7speed slushbox starting in 2005 I think.

Bajo

DaveyKid
July 4th, 2006, 14:08
lineup let alone engine and transmission options!

My one criticism is that they have WAY too many options. It's as though someone criticized them for being too boring and predictable a few years ago and they went wild with new car offerings, engine options, changes every year, etc....

I can't keep up with it.

absent
July 4th, 2006, 15:09
Originally posted by BBGT2
AFAIK all AMG cars use the 5speed due to torque handling issues, dont know about the new AMG63 series though. The early ones though had to use the AMG tuned 5 speed gearbox, whereas all the other Non-AMG cars had the 7speed slushbox starting in 2005 I think.

Bajo
All 63 AMGs use the new 7 speed tranny....

bonte
July 13th, 2006, 06:58
the 63 doesn't have the same kinda torque as the old compressor V8 AMG's.

chutia
July 17th, 2006, 23:16
DaveyKid-
Fascinating observations and candid, I might add. As some of you may recall, I sold my (ex-dearly beloved) RS6 after owning it for only 3 months, due to spare part problems, DRC, dealer issues, etc. RIP. No hard feelings, just sorry to see it go; waay too much trouble.

Have been mulling over what to buy in the meantime waiting for the next RS6 (whenever it comes out). Now...this observation from someone as qualified and objective as DaveyKid (I'm an ex-Chitown boy myself) that suggests the perhaps an E55 or an S55 may be a damn good alternative. Hmmmmm. Drove the M5; couldn't stand the SMG for daily driving, etc. Any reliability, spare parts issues, other issues with either the E55 or S55 that anyone can advise regarding, please?

All advise and thoughts are greatly appreciated, Gentlemen. Thanks.

Aronis
July 18th, 2006, 02:59
Dave what is your experience with MB service, if any?

Can MB fix a suspension the first time LOL.....

Sounds like a very fun car, but it should be for $50,000.00 more than the RS6.

Enjoy......

Mike

SoCal
July 19th, 2006, 22:24
Originally posted by chutia
Any reliability, spare parts issues, other issues with either the E55 or S55 that anyone can advise regarding, please?

MB has had initial quality issues of late and has been falling in the consumer ratings as a result, both in US and Germany. :mech: Even AMG cars (though C class was worst) have some issues. On the E-class, electronics seem to be an area of frequent concern. I know at least one loyal Benz owner with an E55 - his 8th Mercedes, on which he took German delivery and then had shipped to US - who had so many problems coupled with bad dealer service that he's looking at a different brand for his next car for the first time he can remember.

Too early to tell how the new S-class will rate for reliability. I hope that MB rectifies the problems they seem to have had since the Chrysler merger.

Honestly, most German cars other than Porsche have some reliability issues compared to Japanese brands, though we love our cars when they work right. I feel lucky personally not to have had many issues on my Audi like some others, but the overall brand stats speak for themselves.:rs6kiss:

DaveyKid
July 20th, 2006, 23:52
I haven't had any problems with MB service and/or reliability. In fact, when I do have a problem and it's somewhat questionable, like when my door close assist vacuum pump went, even though my last MB S600 prior to this one was out of warranty, they ate half the cost as a goodwill gesture.

I guess it depends on which dealer you have and how kind you are to them.

OC_S4
July 21st, 2006, 06:29
Sorry, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. :nono: Maybe a better comparison would be with the Bentley GT.

DaveyKid
July 25th, 2006, 09:53
I could compare it to an E55 AMG but the gap would only widen. Granted, I'd much rather be in my RS6 come winter time around here! (Although my RS6 doesn't see winters.)

ghostsnake
July 25th, 2006, 21:57
OMG lol can you have any more cars first off CGDZ on your S600 its a great car. The reasons for the RS6 being so poor in that whole line thing is because of the four wheel drive, the v8 even though it super and Mercs v12 have TONS of torque good for the train anyways love that car and the new one is just as good.

minimad
August 14th, 2006, 04:52
The R32 is lowered and it gives it that wide aggressive look, plus the fenders are flared like the RS6. No doubt my RS6 is my favorite car.

DaveyKid, it's interesting to see HPA R32 in your collection, how this car goes? I am considering to buy a Golf V R32(DSG) then mod to HPA 450hp version for my wife, is that too harsh for a normal driver.
I myself has RS6 and Mini Cooper S and MB ML in my garage, I may have to sell MCS to trade R32, I love the hadleing of MCS on twisties, how does HPA HT 450 handle?

gmbh6
August 18th, 2006, 20:33
... I expected the RS6 to have the advantage off the line but even with wheel spin the S600 is so much faster the wheel spin was negated by the additional pulling power.

the s600 was spinning and still made the rs6 look like it was standing still?

i think the driver of the rs6 was underqualified.

DaveyKid
August 21st, 2006, 00:53
everything else you inevitably do to it will be. You can't just throw that much HP in the car and leave alone the stock suspension, brakes, Haldex, etc...

In the end, it truly becomes a "Track Slut"!

minimad
August 21st, 2006, 05:01

Oh well, so my RS6 is now my 3rd fastest in my driveway. Oh yeah, did i mention my R32 is now HPA turbocharged? 450 horses in a nice small 2900 pound package.

you mean the HPA tuned IV R32 is the fastest? Do you put Haldex controller? Which version (blue or orange)?
How fast this little monster could be on the straight line? And how it handles on twisties?:confused:

DaveyKid
August 21st, 2006, 12:10
I'm running the orange Haldex, or "Agent Orange". Car is dialed in for the track. Running KW V3, even though I've already blown out both front KW's. May have to go to their competition series next.

minimad
August 22nd, 2006, 03:30
Daveykid, I can't hold myself back anymore, I want to order V R32 & HPA HT 450 today:thumb:
Thanks for reply