PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE - PLEASE HELP with NAV+ installation

hemi
July 2nd, 2006, 00:21
Hi all,

My wife and I just purchased our RS6 this past March and we love it!!! I've been a BMW fan all these years (driving 05 545 now), but once my wife convinced me to test drive this RS6 (used with 15k miles) at a local dealer (in D.C.), man, there was no question that we were going to buy this car.

Honestly, this car makes my 545 feel like a Camry. :(

Anyhow, after reading very long and good messages on Nav+ upgrades, I went ahead and bought a RNS-E from web along with a Phatbox.

Our RS6 came with the factory nav system (pretty lame).

Here are my problems:

1) I've done everything accept GALA wire installation (my dealer who provided me harness left out the connector for it entirely). AFter the installation, I noticed that the navigation was not functioning properly - I still see the NAV info in the dash board and the current position icon does not move on the Nav screen.

Is this happening because of Gala? If so, I need to find another vendor who sells proper harness with Gala connector; where could I buy one?

2) I installed the Phatbox but its sitting position is sticking out of the side compartment in the trunk so that I cannot close the cover where the Nav CD player used to be. Did anyone experience this? If so, what can I do to fix this?

Any advice and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward being part of this forum.

Cheers!

Aronis
July 2nd, 2006, 03:16
That's VERY easy.

Step One:

Drive to Boston.

Step Two:

Buy Nene a Big One at Dunkin Donuts and a dozen Donuts

Step Three:

Watch Nene Fix it.

Step Four:

Race Nene to Legal Seafood

Step Five:

Buy Nene Dinner

Mike

Step Six:

Make Mike Jealous...can afford that nice upgrade.

LOL

:race:

larryone
July 2nd, 2006, 06:07
There are several folks on the board that are very knowledgeable regarding the RSN-E harness configuraton. I would suggest Lee Hicks who you can contact at lee@nsxjr.com.

PeterH
July 2nd, 2006, 19:09
Did you splice into the speed wire behind the cluster? This is an absolute must to get NAV working correctly. Your dealer who provided you the harness can also provide you a single repair wire you simply insert into the harness plug and connect to the wire you ran from behind the cluster. This exact same thing happened to me and it is because the harnesses made are typically for A4's that dont need this extra wire. On the back of your nav unit, you will see the pin diagram for "V-Signal"- this is where you click in the repair wire.

Was your adaptor a Kufatec or a custom made one? (Kufatec ones typically are missing the GALA pin)

Without the GALA, Nav will sort of work. You will get repositioned every minute or so.

As mentioned above, Lee (nsxjr), Ted (Teddybgame), or Proxus over at www.NavPlus.us are the experts.

larryone
July 2nd, 2006, 22:20
In additon to the GALA wire, there is also a reverse wire to be run. In addition are considerations regarding OnStar, Sat Radio, Bluetooth, etc. Many of the harnesses based on where they were sourced from are not wired correctly and then only for BOSE or non-BOSE. Check with the experts as mentioned. Good Luck!

hemi
July 2nd, 2006, 23:27
Thanks all for your replies!

So, it looks like the nav system took awhile to get proper data from sat; it started to work, sort of. As PeterH mentioned, it works but very slow.

I got behind the dashboard and spliced into the speedwire (white-blue). I just need to sort out the harness situation.

I'll contact for the folks mentioned.

Thanks again!!!

Cheers

nene
July 3rd, 2006, 00:50
Even with the RNS-E unit, the navigation still shows on the dashboard cluster.
The speed of the arrow on the screen will move slower if you don't plug into the GALA wire. However it will work.

The first 24 hours can be dauting. The car may need to go for a spirited drive (30 mins) in order to connect to all satellites.

Looks like you are well on your way.
Good luck.