PDA

View Full Version : Battery in trunk

dabull
March 27th, 2003, 04:37
Battery in the trunk, you heard it and here it is.

JP4
March 27th, 2003, 05:57
I was afraid of that. Although I like the fact that they moved the weight to the rear, they really did "a number" on that very large and roomy trunk. I'm not happy at all about that one! :mad:

Thilo
March 27th, 2003, 08:01
Is that only the Sedan that has the battery in the trunk ?:confused:

eph94
March 27th, 2003, 08:59
Wow, I must admit that is a bit of bummer with the battery taking up that trunk space! The battery in my 5-series is also in the back, but it is down and off to the right so it does not impede on the trunk space. I was looking forward to an upgrade in terms of trunk space with the A6 body, but I guess that is not in the cards. :(

Finnus
March 27th, 2003, 11:13
I agree, what a bummer! And I thought that was the compliemtary RS6 toaster-oven. :(

peterb
March 27th, 2003, 18:34
Originally posted by Thilo
Is that only the Sedan that has the battery in the trunk ?:confused:
The european cars have the battery in the spare wheel well, not intruding into the luggage space like this. In the states they are only getting the sedan, not the Avant.

Benman
March 27th, 2003, 19:19
Originally posted by Finnus
I agree, what a bummer! And I thought that was the compliemtary RS6 toaster-oven. :(

:hihi: that's funny. but the battery in that spot is not:(

oh well, RS6 here i come:cheers:

ben:addict:

Al Delemo
March 28th, 2003, 01:34
Originally posted by dabull
Battery in the trunk, you heard it and here it is.

What a chesee piece of engineering for $ 90,000. My 928 S4 has the battery in the spare tire compartment however that car wasn't slapped together like this one appears to be. Porsche molded the battery into the sheet metal below the spare, quite a pain to get to it but none the less I still have a functional luggage area and a spare. Did you see the seats:(

Al
98 A-4 2.8Q
90 928 S4
02 A-6 4.2Q

eph94
March 28th, 2003, 01:51
Originally posted by Al Delemo
What a chesee piece of engineering for $ 90,000.

I gotta say, a day has passed and my disappointment still hasn't worn off. It looks like a hack aftermarket job!

Note to self: when showing off the car to friends and family, don't open the trunk.

Benman
March 28th, 2003, 01:54
cheesee it most certainly is!!!!

i can't believe someone at audi actually suggested that for the
U.S. market!!! what's worse is the engineers actually made it!!

the only good i can even think of is now i can tell my wife she
gets a spare tire after all

:addict:

man that looks dorky:(

Al Delemo
March 28th, 2003, 02:21
Originally posted by JP4
I was afraid of that. Although I like the fact that they moved the weight to the rear, they really did "a number" on that very large and roomy trunk. I'm not happy at all about that one! :mad:

The battery wasn put in the luggage area to distribute weight. During the R&D the turbo's kept igniting fires in the engine compartment (to much heat). To better maxmize air circulation they had to relocate something! Wah Lah "Da battery to zee trunk.

Al

gjg
March 28th, 2003, 16:14
where is the battery in S6 (4.2)? In AAN S6 is under rear seat.
gg

gjg
March 28th, 2003, 16:30
where is the battery in S6 (4.2)? In AAN S6 is under rear seat.
gg

Finnus
March 28th, 2003, 17:27
What a chesee piece of engineering for $ 90,000.

As someone said earlier, wah, wah, wah. :vsad:

From everything I've read, the car is a technological and engineering marvel. Sure there are a few things that could be better. But, I hate to break it to you, there always are! :bang:

On the overall picture, the battery, the spare and the seats don't make that much difference to me. I can live with those (little to me) imperfections. It's not a Porsche and it's not meant to be - it's a super sedan with sport characteristics.

We're lucky we have the choice on how to spend our $90,000! Some will (or already have) decided to take their $90,000 elsewhere...

I know where I'm spending mine. :D :D :D

Benman
March 28th, 2003, 17:33
despite the fact i'm not thrilled with the whole battery thing
i certainly will not let a minor issue as trunk space affect my
purchase either. i know my money is going:cheers:

FatBoy
March 28th, 2003, 21:39
I'm puzzled :confused:
Why has the battery been relocated to the boot (trunk) on U.S. cars ? it certainly isn't there on U.K. cars. :confused: :confused:

Paul

Benman
March 28th, 2003, 22:30
Originally posted by FatBoy
I'm puzzled :confused:
Why has the battery been relocated to the boot (trunk) on U.S. cars ? it certainly isn't there on U.K. cars. :confused: :confused:

Paul

probably because someone at audi north america complained
about no spare tire. come onn that's what road side assistance
is for.

jfrocke
March 29th, 2003, 00:14
Where is the battery on UK RS6's?

Benman
March 29th, 2003, 00:16
in the spare wheel well:cheers:

jfrocke
March 29th, 2003, 00:22
Any chance you think us USA customers could REQUEST THAT THE BATTERY BE IN THE SPARE TIRE WELL???

Who cares about the spare, when roadside assistance is the norm these days.

Benman
March 29th, 2003, 00:40
i'll try my salesman, you try yours. but don't get
your hopes up:cheers:

BBGT2
March 29th, 2003, 15:41
I agree, that box in the trunk really looks like an afterthought, but I DONT CARE LOL. As long as it doesnt get in my way of driving the beast i could car less whats it looks like in the trunk.
As far as the 928 is concerned i had a 1989 928 S, and Porsche did a stupid number on the battery location as well yeah it sout of the way WAY out of the way. You had to remove the carpet, a cover, whole spare mini tire another cover , GOD forbid you have to take it out thats another project. I worked for Porsche+Audi and believe me all the techs hated doing that and YES 928's always had electrical problems they were money makers for me at the time. Dont get me wrong I love Porsches always have and always will. I just love Audi's more :D
As far as the seats I am really disappointed about not getting the Recaro seats but oh well whatya gonna do thats Audi for ya.

Bajo :addict:

Benman
March 31st, 2003, 16:05
Bajo, that's the spirit. no dumb battery location is going to stop
me from getting the car i've been wanting for a LONG time:cheers:

dabull
March 31st, 2003, 16:24
I live out in the country in fact out of cellular range so I do need a spare tire, I can live with the reduced trunk space.

Benman
March 31st, 2003, 17:23
Bull,

if you don't mind me asking, since you live "out in the country"
how has your roadside assistance been with audi?:cheers: