PDA

View Full Version : RS4 Brakes - make & wear?

bobey
June 22nd, 2006, 13:59
Hello,
Just wondering a few things regarding my new RS4. What make are the brakes on the RS4? Are they Audi's own or some other famous brand? Also what lifetime can be expected?

The reason I ask is because when I ordered my RS4 the ceramic brakes was not an availabe option. So I was considering maybe when the current brakes wear out I will get the ceramic ones instead. Seeing as how I've read that ceramic brakes can last up to 40,000Km I am thinking it could actualy end up be less expensive. That of course depends very much on how fast the standard brakes wear out.

Also anyone knwo the difference in weight between standard and ceramic brake options?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Soon first 1000Km stage of drive in done :-].

// bobey

BryanF
June 22nd, 2006, 14:32
My understanding is that the brakes are the same as those on the Lamborgini Gallardo (Audi owns part of Lamborgini) the same with the steering wheel.

I've read that ceramic brakes are a very expensive option and extremely expensive to replace.I read a lot of Porsche magazines and their assement is that unless you "track day " the car a lot, then the standard brakes are fine.

Erik
June 22nd, 2006, 14:43
Originally posted by BryanF
(Audi owns part of Lamborgini)

Yes, they own 100% of the part :lovl:

7:53 RS6
June 22nd, 2006, 17:09
RS6/RS4/Gallardo is brembo brakes. And pagid pads(street pad)

What is the extra cost to order ceramics when buy new RS4? I would buy ceramics if the cost when orderig a new car whit it was not to high. Then if you wear ceramics down, but i doubt you do, but if you do after some years, well buy steel then if the ceramics seems to be to expencive at the time.

In normal driving the new ceramics can last a liftime, like 300000km, so i dont think they are that expencive after all considering they last.

Unsprung weight is less as well as they dont rust as well they look nice as well they dont fade as well they last very long and bite well. Dont worry the initial bite when cold is nothing to worry about. The same talk is talked about racing pads, like they bite bad when cold, rubbish. The ting whit heat resistant race pads is like when they get real hot they bite better, but that is not the same as the initial cold bite is more bad than street pads.

And last ceramics is all ok in street as well and then you will never change rotor for sure in a long long time.

Leadfoot
June 22nd, 2006, 17:20
My dealer said it was approx. £2500-£2800, as there is presently no option listing for them in the UK, thought it is available in Germany. It's only front brakes by the way.

eazy
June 22nd, 2006, 21:07
In Germany the ceramic brake option costs 5800€.

greetings

eazy

7:53 RS6
June 22nd, 2006, 22:45
well ok, 6000 euro its a bit. You get like 6 set of front RS4/6 rotors for that i think. I guess ceramics is a bit like Plasma tv, when first out the price is hard to motivate, but soon more and more buy and prise come down. Soon we see more of the ceramics i guess.

As far as ceramics compound today, i would not worry for the quality, nor would i worry that they dont last. A ceramics rotor can take heat way god, to make a steel rotor equal it must bee overly bigger and whit that overly heavy.
I would love to have ceramics on the new GT3 if i ever go there as well as on RS4, im not sure its really necesery but even so a nice choise to have i think.

When i think of it, i held a very big carbonfieber DTM rotor in my hand at the ring as well as carbonfiber pads,its like nothing in weight, feels strange to hold as they are unreall light. Once i carryed my RS6 rotors in hand, accually you nead to hands to carry them, damn they are hevy and big when in hand, if they look big on the car, thats nothing comperd to holding them in hand:p

ghostsnake
June 22nd, 2006, 22:57
No need keep the RS4 ones they will do you good for a LONG TIME.

Mikeyboy
June 23rd, 2006, 17:55
Ceramics are £4800 IIRC for the front discs alone.
The porsche discs are about the same for all 4.
However before taking the plunge it is worth noting that they either, last forever or disintegrate rapidly after about 5k.
It could be a fault within the Porsche version but they apparently cool unevenly and this causes the structure to break down.
They also are not a warranty item and cost way more to replace than fit new.

IulianUM
June 23rd, 2006, 19:42
I asked the dealer how much it is to change from standard to cramic brakes , may be the next week I have an answer .

The weight difference is from 5 Kg to 7 Kg per disc depending on who is saying it ...:eye:

Unsprung weight is less as well as they dont rust as well they look nice as well they dont fade as well they last very long and bite well. Dont worry the initial bite when cold is nothing to worry about. The same talk is talked about racing pads, like they bite bad when cold, rubbish. The ting whit heat resistant race pads is like when they get real hot they bite better, but that is not the same as the initial cold bite is more bad than street pads.
Thanks 7:53 RS6 this was one of the things that worried me . As usual you know almost all about "tracking" a car . :thumb:

A lot of people tell me that if I do not made a lot of "track days" the standard are more than enough , bobey , but in your beautiful yellow car the dark discs would look awesome . :rs4addict