PDA

View Full Version : Help on Heat

ssaylor
June 18th, 2006, 07:50
I currently live in Monterey, CA and will be relocating to Tucson within the year. I own a 2003 S4 Avant but have become acutely aware of the RS6 and am contemplating the purchase of CPO car at some point in the near future.

It looks like Scottsdale Audi in Phoenix AZ is the certified RS6 service center I would be using in AZ. I have seen a lot of posts regarding the excessive heat generated by these cars and would like to hear from other owners in AZ who service their cars ar Scottsdale Audi. How significant is this problem - with a RS6 certified service center in greater Phoenix area?

I appreciate any information you might provide to help me make a very important decision. The cars are awesome.

Scott

nene
June 18th, 2006, 16:41
I've heard from a few other posts that the heat in AZ can really kill the power on the RS6, if you run spiritedly.

On that note, you may wish to check out the Sportec Cooling Kit (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8819&highlight=sportec).

Good luck.

ssaylor
June 18th, 2006, 18:03
I saw that post but would be concerned about voiding the CPO warranty. In my other life, I fly airplanes and know about how altitude and temperature affects performance (density altitude). I'm not so much worried about the lack of performance, it's the reliability and long term affects of running the car in the desert. I hope to get some reports from RS6 owners in AZ, if there are any (?).

I sent the Service Dept. at Scottsdale Audi a message, hoping to reach the RS6 "Master" to I can get some "real world" historical data. Heat is bad, in the desert, for a few months/year, its REALLY BAD.

Thanks for the link, I'll save it and would definitely consider it on a non-CPO car.

Scott

Paldi
June 18th, 2006, 22:30
When it's really hot out just drive with the hood off...

Have you seen the threads here about custom hoods with air vents fitted to them?

ssaylor
June 18th, 2006, 23:07
Louvers, yes, I did the posts. I suppose that could be a summer solution but, ouch, a visual glamour don't to be sure!

Paldi
June 19th, 2006, 00:22
Did you see the one on the power boat bilge blower idea?

Or, have the wife or g/f pop the hood for you for a few minutes every 25 miles to let the heat out. Heat travels up... :-)

jimmy94507
June 19th, 2006, 02:32
I live in Prescott so don't have the heat one experiences in Phoenix. I go to North Scottsdale Audi for service. They have 6 Audi certified RS6 technicians. They service quite a few RS6's.

I don't know anything about Scottsdale Audi. Others on the forum may chip in?

Tuscon will be quite a change from Monterey. Weve spent a lot of time in Monterey over the years and just moved to Prescott from Walnut Creek, CA.

Regards, Jimmy

ssaylor
June 19th, 2006, 03:02
Thanks for the reply, Jimmy. I think my best bet will be to speak to those certified repair techs at Scottsdale Audi.

My wife's in Tucson already, I'm holding down the fort in Montrey for another year. When summer comes around in AZ, I know we'll really appreciate the Monterey house, especially that summer fog & costal stratus!

Scott

jimmy94507
June 19th, 2006, 06:36
Hi Scott,

From your reply, I don't think I made it clear.
There are 2 Audi dealerships in Scottsdale, AZ.
Scottsdale Audi, and
North Scottsdale Audi
My comments and excellent experience is with North Scottsdale Audi. My wife has a 2004 3.2 TT with DSG and I have the RS6. We both have had excellent service at N. Scottsdale Audi.

Regards, Jimmy

ssaylor
June 19th, 2006, 07:02
I did miss that. I see it on the Certified list, "Audi North Scottsdale." I'll give them a call.

THANKS!