PDA

View Full Version : Who's the fastest?

Finnus
March 25th, 2003, 00:10
Patience is not my strong suit. Since I plunked down my deposit last May, as I'm sure many of you have, I've read everything I can get my hands on about the RS6. Here are some interesting observations (to me, anyway):

In the December 2002 issue, Automobile magazine ran an article titled, "European Touring Car Championship". The article is a comparison of the performance of the RS6, M5, E55 AMG and Jaguar S-Type R .

In the sprints, the RS6 blew away the competition in the 0-60 and the 1/4 mile, but was slightly edged out (.2 seconds) in the 0-100 by the E55. In the 30-70 mph, the E55 took the cake, beating the RS6 by .7 seconds (oh, the power of Quattro).

Interestingly, Automobile timed the RS6's 0-60 speed at 4.3 seconds (.5 seconds faster than the M5 and .7 seconds faster than the E55, and faster than any of the published Audi numbers)! That seems to put it in Porsche turbo territory (have the masters of understatement at Audi been sandbagging us with the published 4.8-4.9 second 0-60 stat so they don't compete with their own company? I also read that the electronically governed 155 is really about 170+ mph. [I know, you can't believe everything you read, but it's all I've got right now])

It seems to me that the times the RS6 looses, is when the start is from a moving 50-70 KMH rather than from a dead stop. Wasn't it compared here (RS6.com) to the M5 from a running start and lost? I guess Quattro just provides much faster starts.

Back to the article, Automobile ranked the M5 the best overall (this wasn't just a speed test), the E55 second, and the RS6 a close third. The decision seemed fairly subjective on the author's part. The Jag really wasn't in the same class as the Germans (the article really should have been titled, "German Touring Car Championship").

I've also read a fair amount about the auto press favoring the M5 because of all of the schmoozing BMW has done relative to the M cars over the years. It may just be a case of the judges favoring the champion. I think this article was one of the places that the cornering of the RS6 was referred to as "uninvolving".

My bottom line: they're all great cars and you couldn't go too wrong with any one of them. No one car will hands down beat the other in all categories. Besides, in many cases, it's a subjective matter. Competition is good, leading to better automobiles. There will always be something faster, newer, etc. I'm sure the new M5 will be a beast. It all boils down to personal taste.

I happen to like Audis. In my mind, Audi is the underdog in the German luxury segment (in the US we tend to root for the underdog). I like the character and styling of the RS6, its "lamb in sheep's clothing" quality, its towering power and responsiveness, and the prestige of the limited offering here in the US. I like how solid the car feels (my S4) and I like the idea of a larger more comfortable car. So for me, the decision is a "no brainer": RS6 all the way!

I just wish I didn't have to wait. Maybe my third car will be an M3. LOL

Bob

:addict:

dabull
March 25th, 2003, 01:19
I agree Bob, but I think that I would call it a "Wolfe" in sheeps clothing. Take a look at the Audi of UK website, it has a great advertisement, shows a guy riding a bull that breaks through the chute.

Benman
March 25th, 2003, 01:40
bob, i feel your pain.

i've read the same automobile comparo and just about every
other story or article on the RS6 i can get my hands on. ALL
the american mags as well as the british (EVO, TOP GEAR, CAR)
mags. i wish i could subscribe to the euro mags as it would be
cheaper but it seems the british aren't fond of shipping to the
states.

my point is that every month i wait in anticipation for the next
mag to have info or a story on the RS6 (or any audi). i now have
storage tubs FULL of car magazines in my garage and yet i keep
buying more and more. maybe it's so the wait will seem shorter
if i'm constantly reading.

my friends and family are now wondering if i'm building the car
up to porportions that are unrealistic (everyone remember star
wars :episode 1). they say that i've built up the car to be awe-
some but when i get it i'll be dissapointed. i say BAH, RUBISH!
there is NO WAY i'm going to be let down. i've driven E55's
(the old one) and corvette's (non ZO6) and to think that this car
is even quicker is unbelievable!! i CAN'T wait much longer:(

but i tell you this. it has DEFINATELY been a big help to know
there are more guy's out there that have the "RS" disease as
bad as i do. to know that i'm not the only one who is getting
sick of waiting for my car to finally get here so i can give it a
great home makes me feel better.

but compared to all the other super sedans we will get here
the RS6 is also my "no brainer" decision. when compared to how
many E55s there will be (considering the body style is brand
new) and with M5s there are already close to 10,000 in the U.S.,
the fact that we will only get 1,000 makes the appeal all that
much more desirable.

ah, but the wait. bob, i FEEL your pain:cheers:

ben
BIG RS6 NUT

jimmy94507
March 25th, 2003, 03:12
I learned from my dealer upon his return from the training in Arizona that the US will be receiving 1200 cars. Originallly it was limited to 660, then increased to 990 and now the number has grown to 1200. Another rumor posted today was the US production was starting 6 weeks earlier. I'll try to confirm that and post what I learn.
Jim

jconley
March 25th, 2003, 03:51
I heard the 6 week earlier rumor too

BBGT2
March 25th, 2003, 04:20
Gentleman,
I agree with Benman and Finnus, I too have read every article possible about the RS6, even Popular Mechanics believe it or not.
As far as the test's are concerned I really dont pay too much attention to what the testers say, because I believe that that both MB and bmw:D must give these cars to these guys aftre they finish testing them LOL.
Like Finnus said its all subjective, but "audi close third" where were these guys when the UrS4 was here from 92-94 (95 UrS6 also).
I always said I rather push my Audi then drive a BMW, or MB for that matter. Their cars just dont hold the mustard they turn into "rattle boxes" after 50k miles. I sold my UrS4 with 140k and the thing didnt have a rattle or a squeak in it, drove my buddies m3 with 50k and the thing rattled and clunked and bitched and moaned like a 80 year old hussy. I may be too brutal but just voicing my opinion. I love Audi's have always loved Audi's thats why I am here and not @ m5.com (even though its a sister site).
I even loved my first Audi a blue 1975 Audi 100 LS oh what a car:D . All the best to you guys with your bimmer's and benzes.

eph94
March 25th, 2003, 08:16
So I'm not the only one who reads the same RS6 articles over and over again with the hope of maybe catching something that I may have overlooked during the first thousand times I read the articles?

I took solace in the belief that there were none as neurotic as I. I weep for the world!

Oh yeah, and I want an M3 now as a third car too after seeing that video.

Any suggestions how I might already convince my 2 1/2 year old son that maybe he should skip college? I have to find a way to afford all these cars. :eek:

Erik
March 25th, 2003, 13:27
Originally posted by Finnus
It seems to me that the times the RS6 looses, is when the start is from a moving 50-70 KMH rather than from a dead stop. Wasn't it compared here (RS6.com) to the M5 from a running start and lost? I guess Quattro just provides much faster starts.

Thanks for an interesting post.

I have 1 video already with the M5 and the RS6 doing a rolling start. The RS6 wins.
The video shows RS6 cam, M5 cam, Camera car cam and fisheye cam at the end of the race.
There's also more videos of the RS6 accelerating. The RS6 revving and blasting away, the RS6 braking etc.
Eventually they'll all get posted here...

I bought a house today and will move Saturday so things are kind of hectic. Tomorrow I'll try to cut a few more videos.
From a standing start the M5 will be left behind. From rolling start it has very much to do with what gear is in and how prepared the driver is. If one car gets a little ahead it wins, they're that close.
There is a another rolling start where the M5 wins but from a standing still the RS6 wins. If you continue up to higher speed the RS6 has to watch out but it should win ever race at the redlight.

I'm having trouble accessing the ftp to upload. Not sure what is wrong but once I've dealt with that it's video time!

peterb
March 25th, 2003, 19:00
Originally posted by JJV-MA
So I'm not the only one who reads the same RS6 articles over and over again with the hope of maybe catching something that I may have overlooked during the first thousand times I read the articles?
Definitely not. My wife laughs at me because I walk round the house carrying a pile of car mags, in the hope that I'll be allowed to sit down long enough to re-read one or more of the articles on the RS6!

urquattro83
March 26th, 2003, 00:10
Oh yeah I love video's of audi!!!

I'm still waiting for the next one for mine collection!!

I'am waiting for it Erik:cheers:

Simon