PDA

View Full Version : Driving the RS6

jfrocke
March 24th, 2003, 21:58
I'm an Audi newbie but am very interested in an RS6. Was considering an M3 or M5, but I just test drove an A6 and it fits me much better (6'3").

This was a 3.0 version A6 and although I liked the interior and exterior, the drive was kind of boring. Ride was too soft and power was low. The shifting seemed quite slow as well, even when manually shifting the automatic transmission.

This may be a dumb question, but how much different would the RS6 feel as far as the suspension and engine power? Is the RS6 transmission faster shifting as well?

BTW, I'm coming from a Boxster-S which has great suspension, braking and road feel. Power is decent, but I am looking for more power and something more practical.

Thanks in advance to any information that the group members can provide!!!

Erik
March 24th, 2003, 22:33
I have an A6 2.7T chipped to 312 bhp. It's also a V6 like the 3.0 but with more 'charachter.' some turbo push if you know instead of the very liniear 3.0 hp curve.

The RS6 is a V8 but the difference between my 2.7T and the 4.2T much much more than you'd expect. It is much faster.

I'll pass on the ride quality since I'm not sure you get what we do.
Mine has Audi original sport suspension, lowered about 1 inch vs. stock. The RS6 is firmer but I never felt it was too hard.

I guess the RS6 would be less communicative, but that would be the only drawback vs. the Boxster.

peterb
March 24th, 2003, 23:42
I currently drive a 2.7T quattro with tiptronic, but haven't driven a 3.0. The 2.7T is slightly more powerful than the 3.0, but with a much broader/flatter torque band.

I have test-driven the RS6 (and placed an order). The RS6 definitely feels much quicker than the 2.7 and is more firmly sprung. The RS gearchange is much more responsive than the box on my 2.7T. If you liked the 3.0, then the RS should suit you fine - possibly not quite as involving to drive as the Boxster - but definitely faster in a straight line. The RS won't match the Boxster when you get to the twisty bits, but it is a significant step up from the standard A6.

jfrocke
March 24th, 2003, 23:47
One other possibility would be for me to keep my Boxster-S and get a 2004 S4 when they come out.

The rear seat space on the S4 is really small though, so I still couldn't really drive the family around (I have a Jeep for this though).

Any idea how the new 2004 S4 would compare to the RS6? Most of my driving is highway here in Central-NJ, so I don't really need another "small, nimble" car.

Benman
March 25th, 2003, 01:58
well, if you don't really need to have a small and nimble car and
plan on doing a lot of highway driving than the RS6 will for sure
be the better choice. the only people that have done back to
back comparisions are journalists but the difference in platforms
is huge. the A6 platform is definately more spacious then the A4
and the new S4's acceleration will not even compare to the RS6.

as far as handling the S4 seems to give similar trck times (only
by what i've read) due to being "smaller and more nimble" but
when it comes to the "open road" it's bye, bye S4.

the S4 looks like it's going to be a fantasatic car for sure but
if you really want the ULTIMATE audi that will be faster and
roomier for the family (the A6 is a GREAT family car) then spring
for the RS6. the ONLY downside is price of course. after all you
could nearly have 2 S4s for the price of 1 RS6. but then it's
kind of appropriate considering the RS6 is twice the car:hihi:

:addict:

BBGT2
March 25th, 2003, 04:27
Jfrocke my good man,

Think of it like this, Audi RS6 = Porsche GT2 performance (OK OK almost) GT2 prestige, but you can take your family everywhere you go and still have all that enormous power and prestige IN ANY WEATHER ANY TIME ANYWHERE
And you probably wont see one driving the other way everyday.
As far as price if you gotta ask you gotta have it,LOL
Just my .02 cents.

Trust me dude, RS6 there is no substitute.

Bajo , certifiable:addict: :cheers:

Erik
March 25th, 2003, 07:29
The RS6 is about 3-4 seconds faster to 200 km/h than the manual S4 V8.

kye
March 25th, 2003, 14:30
Originally posted by jfrocke

BTW, I'm coming from a Boxster-S which has great suspension, braking and road feel. Power is decent, but I am looking for more power and something more practical.

i have driven an boxter earlier on...
just to mention it, the rs6 is (very) fast and (very) powerful, but in fact its not a (typical) sportscar, its a (very) functional car for (very) fast driving, not less but also not more. so dont expect the fun that comes with a boxter always remeber its 2tons you are shifting trough the corners :-) if you not remember the car will remember you sooner or later

Mal
March 26th, 2003, 08:03
I have two fast cars, an RS6 and a Maserati 3200GT. On paper they are both very fast and if anything the RS6 is quicker below 100mph. However the power of the RS6 is far more useable, it is so efficient and stable that it gives you so much confidence.

The Maserati however is a hooligans car with far more power than its chassis can handle, you have too treat it with the utmost respect especially in the wet - but great fun, and in skilled hand, extremely fast.

GoFastKindaGuy
March 26th, 2003, 13:56
I have a 300 hp A6 4.2 and an 340 hp S6 Avant -- as well as two Porsches. The S6 is ever so slightly firmer than the A6. I expect the RS6 will be firmer still, but Audi firm -- not Porsche firm. There is no greater fun than a Porsche in twisties... unless it is a sedan full of friends along for the joy of eating up a lesser Porsche (or Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, et. al.) on the open road.

I have an 85 mile Wisconsin commute and one of the 6s tends to be the vehicle of choice -- because of weather and cargo capability.

Use that cargo net, though. Or you'll be wearing your extra stuff.:addict:

Benman
March 26th, 2003, 15:18
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
I have a 300 hp A6 4.2 and an 340 hp S6 Avant -- as well as two Porsches. The S6 is ever so slightly firmer than the A6. I expect the RS6 will be firmer still, but Audi firm -- not Porsche firm. There is no greater fun than a Porsche in twisties... unless it is a sedan full of friends along for the joy of eating up a lesser Porsche (or Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, et. al.) on the open road.

I have an 85 mile Wisconsin commute and one of the 6s tends to be the vehicle of choice -- because of weather and cargo capability.

Use that cargo net, though. Or you'll be wearing your extra stuff.:addict:

nice to hear your putting your audis to good use. nice point
about taking the friends along for a joy ride. it's awesome
to have a great 2 seater but funer still if you can give a car
load of people a thrill ride:cheers:

:addict: