PDA

View Full Version : Break-in Period

BigRick
June 15th, 2006, 18:04
I've know I saw some thread talking about break-in period. But none was really dedicated to this matter.

I'm interested in knowing what's best for the RS4?

A short brutal break-in like some are suggesting
The normal 1000km or so driving normally

And then, what is “normal driving” with an RS4?:hahahehe:

freerider
June 15th, 2006, 18:57
IIRC it was best to keep it under 6000 RPM's for the first 1000KM.

discobiscuit
June 15th, 2006, 22:07
The manual suggests:
first 1000km - no full throttle - keep under 6000rpm
next 1000km - no full throttle - keep under 7000rpm
next 1000km - full throttle allowed - blip up to 8,250rpm on occasion
then drive as you would.

As i understand it a short brutal break in results in higher power more immediately but this approach means that the max power will drop over time as the internals wear.
If the break in period is slow and measured then the engine reaches max power more slowly but will remain at this level for longer.
I'm going the long game personally.
I'm also going to change the oil and oilf filter at 3000km. This is not suggested by audi but it will eliminate the maetal particles released during the run in.

The ecu also limits power for approx 1500km to reduce chance of damage to internals then after this period releases the full potential.
The change is amazing one minute i was driving an already fast car the next thing i knew i was driving a ballistic missle. It is so eager and pretty edgy. What a car.

:heart: :rs4kiss: :heart:

IulianUM
June 16th, 2006, 00:42
In my manual , the last step are 500Km . Also don´t drive it with the revs too low . And don´t drive on the red line(8000+) for too long even after the break-in .
I know is hard but , is your choice .:vhmmm:
Good idea to change the oil and filter , I´ll do next week . Thx:thumb:

BTW normal driving with an Rs4 is "fenomenal fun" .:rs4addict

BigRick
June 16th, 2006, 01:30
All good to know.

So, it looks like unanimous that the break-in should be a slow one. Still it will be an enjoyable ride!

Just can wait :dance:

Thanks to all

ghostsnake
June 16th, 2006, 05:38
try 4000 rpm for 1000 thats the best than it will be ok to rip it.

andrei_d
June 16th, 2006, 20:52
Originally posted by discobiscuit

I'm also going to change the oil and oilf filter at 3000km. This is not suggested by audi but it will eliminate the maetal particles released during the run in.

are you going to change it at your audi dealer? what type of oil audi suggest to be used? or are you going to do this somewhere else?

what type of oil - what brand would be the best for our cars

I think it is a great ideea to change the oil after 3k km - I am going to do it also - I wait for my car in 3 weeks (next Friday will be produced):rs4kiss:

AudiRS4ever
June 16th, 2006, 21:04
I asked my tech if I could switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 and he said that would be fine. Unless I see a bulletin that says there is a very specific oil we have to use, like the RS6, I am going to use Mobil 1. I've always had good luck with their oil. :incar:

Originally posted by andrei_d
are you going to change it at your audi dealer? what type of oil audi suggest to be used? or are you going to do this somewhere else?

what type of oil - what brand would be the best for our cars

I think it is a great ideea to change the oil after 3k km - I am going to do it also - I wait for my car in 3 weeks (next Friday will be produced):rs4kiss:

discobiscuit
June 17th, 2006, 10:41
Audi recomends their specific longlife fully sythetic oil, you get a free 1l bottle of it with the car.
Yes i will get an audi dealership garage to do it. About £220 all in for oil change and filter change.
Makes sense really.

Audihead
June 18th, 2006, 15:34
5-40 for the Oil guys.

Break-in

As stated above except for:
0-600 Miles 6,000 RPM
600-1,250 Miles 7,000 RPM
1,250-1,500 Miles Build Up To 8,250

This is directly from the manual.:rs4addict