PDA

View Full Version : H-Sport anti sway bars installed (rear only)

nene
June 14th, 2006, 19:34
Well, this past weekend I decided to tackle my H-Sport (http://www.h-sport.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=22827) anti sway bar install. The front of the car won't go on the ramps, so I figured at least I can do the rear one.

Apparently the rear is the worst of the two, so I was up for quite a challenge. Spend about 4 hours last Saturday, putting the car on the ramps, preparing tools and buying some additional ones, lowering rear portion of the exhaust, and unscrewing all the stock sway bar pieces. Well, it took me a while because of all the pictures I wanted to take.

After doing all that, I realized that there is just no way I can remove the stock sway bar from its location, until I lower the exhaust system further. That meant crawling under the car towards the center area, where now I have very low room to work with, and that God my gut is not that large, otherwise there is no way I'd succeed.

I had purchased a couple of jeepers creepers to help me move about under the car. It jus so happens my hair is a bit on the long side, and kept getting stuck on the wheels occasionally. Yep, it hurt! So much hair on this silly head though, there are no major chunks missing. At least that I can see...but how cares, if its in the back of the head, I can't see it, so no worries!

Car was left over the weekend alone, on top of the ramps, and exhaust pipes resting on the jack stands, until I was able to muster enough balls to crawl under the middle of the car, to unscrew 4 bolts.

Well, that day was yesterday. A few more chunks of air lost. I had an American flag bandana on my head, and that too soon was gone, as it failed to work.
At around 5:30pm, I crawl under the car, slide the jeepers creeper towards the center, and place some wood across the center to hold the exhaust as it lowered about 20mm without crushing my face. Bolts are out, and soon I find out that I need to lower it more. Start removing a few pieces of wood, and lowering the jack stands.

All is in good shape, yet the anti sway bar was still giving me trouble. Lowered exhaust a bit more, and finally got enough clearance. A bit of elbow grease (force), along with some tweaking, got the stock anti sway bar off. The new one is a bit thicker, so I had to lower the exhaust yet again, to get the H-Sport in place.

I tried the hard setting, as there are 2 holes in the end so you can chooose soft or hard. One bolt would go in, however the second would not, due to lack of space near the wheel, the size of the bolt, and the angle of the bracket. Hell, who cares, I just went with the soft setting, and was done by 7pm.
That was 1h:30m later. H-Sport rear anti sway bar on, exhaust back on, and car off the ramps.

I was so tired, I did not even bother to go test the car. Today, I have yet to take the beast out too. Will run her some time today or tomorrow and post some experiences of the new settings.
Will do the fronts probably at dealer or indy shop that has a lift.

I am not the most mechanically inclined person. However, I felt I did a pretty decent job installing it, even if it took me a while. This was also my first time doing it or seeing it done.
Directions from Hotchkis were great. They had mentioned that center exhaust section required lowering, and I was trying not to have to do it, and I failed.

Some digits:
H-Sport bar weight: 7.6lbs
H-Sport bar circumference: 8cm/3.25inches

Stock bar weight: 9lbs
Stock bar circumference: 7cm/2.65inches

With a little geometry, you can get the diameter given the circumference. I'm being a little lazzy.

Pix to come. Write up, well, that is up on the air. The booklet that comes with the bars is great. Happy to make copies and fax/email/snail mail it to anyone who wishes to check it out.

Benman
June 14th, 2006, 20:38
Great write up!:applause:

Originally posted by nene
It jus so happens my hair is a bit on the long side, and kept getting stuck on the wheels occasionally. Yep, it hurt! Don't have that problem seeing as how I have a clean shaved head. :D

I am not the most mechanically inclined person.
Well, you're ten times better than me as at least you attempted the install yourself!

Some digits:
H-Sport bar weight: 7.6lbs
H-Sport bar circumference: 8cm/3.25inches

Stock bar weight: 9lbs
Stock bar circumference: 7cm/2.65inches

Thanks for the figures. I knew the bar was lighter, just not by how much. You'll find the front is also lighter.:thumb: Looking forward to hearing how you like em'. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Boston Driver
June 14th, 2006, 20:43
nene! Yeah, the center exhaust hangers are a PITA to reach, but truly required to get the bar off and on. I was lucky eough to have "Grapeking" around for our sway-bar-a-palooza whe we did the 2.7T...he was skinny enough to get under there. I could NOT reach the center exhaust hangers...I am overweight, but not THAT overweight. I think taller ramps (non-Rhino ramp version) would have made it a bit easier.

Anyway, if you have not tried the hard setting, but wish to do so, let me know and I'll give you a hand adjusting it.

Not going to do the front??? Front goes on so much easier than the rear. You can probably knock that one off in about 30 minutes.

FYI - very nice detailed writeup on the entire H-sport instal heer:
H-sport sway bar installation (http://audifahrer.com/Tech/Installs/Hsport/HsportPrintable.htm)

Aronis
June 15th, 2006, 02:06
The front sway bar is very easy as I have had it 50% off several times to change the oil.

The lower profile Rino Ramps work fine for the front! So height tips....

Use a couple of 2x12's to add some height. Place the 2x12 under the ramp and drive up on the 2x12 and then the ramp. It keeps the low clearance angle of the rino ramp but gives you more clearance.

If you are really motivated and have to sets of ramps...and a nice jack, you can safely get the car up on all fours....raise the front on the ramps, then jack the rear, slide the ramps in place, lower onto the ramps.....don't try to DRIVE off them thought LOL.

I am interested in the handling results.

Mike

nene
June 15th, 2006, 02:16
I took her out tonight on a few local roads, including Storrow Drive. Storrow Drive is a local road with some nice long sweeping curves, sort of like Saw Mill Parkway as you get close to where the Clinton's live.

Really pushed her hard. No traffic around 8PM, so I timed it such that I'd go over the curves with no one around, to minimize causing any traffic accidents.

Well, honestly, I can't say I am that impressed. For the money, and the amount of work I put into it, I have not felt that much of a difference.

Again, I really did not think I was going to feel it, as I don't normally track this car. For street only use, the anti-sway bar upgrade from stock to H-Sport, might be a waste of money. Had I actually paid someone to install it, probably feel bad.

I am currently using 255x35 Pilot Sports, and those are pretty grabby as it is. Around the corners, I never really felt that the RS6 leaned much, as such I really don't feel the upgrade was worth it.

Will spend another week with it. At the very least, from what I read, doing only the rear should minimize understeer. Which is another thing I've yet to feel!

Will keep everyone posted, as I take the car on my regular commute for a few days. There are a couple of turns I usually push the car a bit, and will see if there is any difference.

DetailersDomain
June 15th, 2006, 04:49
Thanks for the write up, I'm actually surprised that you find no improvements.

On my 04 S4 I felt a world of a difference.

I guess I might just set the ones going on my rs6 to hard.

I look forward to more of your feedback.

nene
June 15th, 2006, 13:45
I can't believe myself with another update coming so soon.

Well, keeping in mind that the rear anti sway bar is on the soft settings, I believe that is part of the reason the car feels very much like the stock settings.

Last night, pretty late in the evening, I took the car out to some highway spots I wanted to play. Figuring it would be quiet, I could push the car a bit more, in the middle of the night. I owed to the setup, since the stock feel was still fresh on my butt-dyno!

There is a good 90 degree sweeping turn where MA128 North leads to I95 South. I usually take this turn around 60-65MPH, and the car leans a bit, without necessarily feeling anyway as being pushed that hard. Yesterday I was able to take it a bit faster, and the car leaned considerably less.

Last time I took this turn was on the stock US seats as well, so that might have played a bit of trick on me. Took the same turn 3 times, and each time the same behavior.

Did the same on the on ram from route MA2 North to MA128 North, as I usually enjoy this 90 degree very sharp turn to the right, and take off like a bat out of hell. Did this only twice, and again noticed considerable less leaning of the car, at higher speeds.

I have no idea why that is, however at speeds of 60+MPH, the new rear anti sway bar does seem to work better. Makes no sense! At speeds of 30-45MPH or so, the car seems to act very much like stock.

I guess if you are a track junkie, or enjoy tracking the car occasionally, this may very well be a worthy upgrade.
For street use, it seems overkill.

I guess one could say the same for many suspension upgrades, like putting coilovers on a street only car. Well, it is your money. If you want this upgrade, by all means, you got my blessing. It certainly does not seem to hurt the beast one bit.
However, it makes me happy to confirm that the beast is well composed in many situations, even in stock form.

I'm keeping my H-Sport setup, and looking forward to installing the front setup. After all, they're already paid for.

DetailersDomain
June 15th, 2006, 13:48
cool thanks for the update.

Aronis
June 15th, 2006, 15:12
Get the front on it and then let's see the comparo........

I wish I still lived in Manchester NH...and of course if I had ended up with an RS6....who knows....but it would have been fun to work on the car with you....you could buy all the upgrades in pairs...I'd do the labor...for both cars LOL...

Mike

nene
June 15th, 2006, 15:40
I vote for the Dr to move closer!

I'll be putting the front on, and changing the rear to the hard setting. Will keep all posted.

I think yesterday I put 300 miles on the car with all the testing.

:)

Benman
June 15th, 2006, 18:48

I have no idea why that is, however at speeds of 60+MPH, the new rear anti sway bar does seem to work better. Makes no sense! At speeds of 30-45MPH or so, the car seems to act very much like stock.

I guess if you are a track junkie, or enjoy tracking the car occasionally, this may very well be a worthy upgrade.
For street use, it seems overkill.

I guess one could say the same for many suspension upgrades, like putting coilovers on a street only car.

The comments I quoted above are dead on correct. For "street" stuff the H-Sports act very OEM like. At more spirited (i.e. higher) speeds, they really come alive. Like you mention, at the track is where they really shine. But yeah, just for street, a little overkill.:thumb:

Ben:addict: