PDA

View Full Version : Tuning my RS4 and other naturally aspirated engines

discobiscuit
June 14th, 2006, 15:34
I am a forum newby moved to join this forum as I'm now the very proud owner of a new RS4. Phantom black, with black optic pack (window trim, grill surround and tail pipe ends blacked. It looks like a stealth bomber), sports suspension, 19inch alloys. I'm so deeply in love with this car as i'm sure anyone could imagine.

My question though.

Can the RS4 be chipped to realise anymore power and torque?

I live in England and there are many tuning companies here, like everywhere i guess. I contacted several of the more pestigious firms and i got some pretty conflicting opinions.
Some where keen to take my money (as much as £1,200) and promised 35 more bhp and 30 ft/lb more torque, which of course would give the approx. final scores of 450bhp and 350ft/lb. This would give my already beautifully performing car a significant edge.
Nice.
Now one firm (agents of a rather famous German tuning firm) said catagorically that the tuners who have offered me this are crooks (thieves). He went on to say that his parent company have attempted to remap several RS4 B7s and it was not possible to squeeze any more performance out of the engine. They even advised me to get a sale or return agreement out of the firm offering the upgrade and said they would give me free before and after analysis on there rolling road to disprove their claims.
Hmm.
I recontacted the tuning firm who promised me the gains and relayed this information (excluding the name of the firm who had advised me). He inturn said the other guys where crooks and were saying this only because they couldn't do it themselves.
Wow.
Now said German tuning firm are highly regarded world wide as the best tuning house for all things German. So where does that leave me? Confused is what.
Does anyone out there have any experience of ECU remaps for the RS4 B7? Any ideas would be welcome.

P.S. I frikin love my car. Pictures to follow soon if anybody is interested.
:rs4kiss:

KK265
June 14th, 2006, 16:00
Dear discobiscuit when did you buy your car?Because production for customers of black optik packet began before 10 days!!I am very curious how you got it.

discobiscuit
June 14th, 2006, 16:03
I orderd the car in December last year, chose the options and it arrived begining of June. First registered with the DVLA on the 8th June. I'll go take some pics now and post them.

andreasm
June 14th, 2006, 16:36
Originally posted by KK265
Dear discobiscuit when did you buy your car?Because production for customers of black optik packet began before 10 days!!I am very curious how you got it.

I think it’s not the first production slot with black option pack… I know someone with black option pack since March...see the attached pic…

Fab
June 14th, 2006, 16:49
Well,

I've been wondering too about wether or not tuning my B7 RS4 upon delivery in August.

My big question mark is based on the fact that we all heard about the RS4 not reaching 420hp on dyno and being "anormally" far away from the claimed 420hp.

Some of those Swiss tuners such as Digi Power and Sportec who claimed this lack of power on dyno propose a stage 1 giving an extra 25-30hp on ecu remap.

My question is : After their remap do they claim 420hp + 25-30hp = 450cv being mesured on their dyno ?

if the answer is yes then it would mean that their remap is increasing the dyno power from their weak number of approx. 365-380hp to 450hp ??!!

What do you guys think ? If after the remap the car shows 450hp on the dyno this will ensure / reassure RS4 b7 owner about the real (dyno) power of their car...

On the other hand all the performance figures on magazines are just great even unbelievable (23.2s 1 km start) which makes me think that despite some weak hp numbers announced by some sources the car is really fast meaning it has the claimed 420hp.

I hope I am clear on my comment :D

Any comments as this power issue still concerns me a little bit.

Ciao

Fab :bye:

IulianUM
June 14th, 2006, 19:25
Welcome discobiscuit , tuning this engine scares me , that´s the truth . I am interested in changing the exhaust only , maybe a little more power , but "playing" with the ECUs for me is too dangerous . I´ll wait to see what others say .

Fab a Rs mechanic told me that IF it has not 420hp the reduction is only 10hp at a maximum , I don´t know if that´s the truth .

What I know is that the car feels quick and fast , the performance numbers are much better than the Audi ones , you´ll not gonna be dissapointed . When the running in period ends , well a little bit more time , you discover that the wonderful car has evolved into something much more wild .:heart: :heart: :heart:

:rs4addict

Goldorak
June 14th, 2006, 19:44
Originally posted by discobiscuit
This would give my already beautifully performing car a significant edge.
Nice.

Welcome to the forum discobiscuit.:rs4addict

Can you explain what you mean in the quote above. What are you planing on doing with the car and who are you trying to gain an edge on?

Did you ask the all promising firm if they would offer a refund if the dyno tests didn't support their claims?

Cheers.

Prof Gascan
June 14th, 2006, 19:51
I'm interested in the pictures! Let's see em! :rs4addict

discobiscuit
June 14th, 2006, 23:02
Good God.

IulianUM
A wilder beast indeed. In old audis like the TT 225 mk3 for example the engine limited power until the ecu had decided (by how you were pushing the engine) when it was properly run in. It then release the further 30% or so of power. Maybe they are still doing that. I got in the car today for a quick spin, well 80 miles, the car had done just over 1000 miles and some thing happened. I'm sure it suddenly started delivering more power. Now i may be imagining things but suddenly my already fast car is alittle more like a missle. I took it up to 7000rpm a few times and the noise, the deep aeroplane like noise hardens at about 6500rpm into something harsher, tighter, more metallic and it frickin fizzes. It seems to be going much faster even with sport (and so the quicker throttle mapping) off.
Wow.
I had to ring someone to tell them i was so excited. Its like a ballistic missle and i'm still not using full foot to floor throttle yet.
I am so utterly blown away by this car. Jesus i should get a job in the Audi marketing team.
Phew. Starting to calm now.
F*** what a car.

Goldorak
Anyway back to tuning. Edge over whom? No one in particular, just alittle more power is always good thing surely. The dude at the tuning firm who offered the improvements also said he'd dyno it, remap it, then dyno it again, show me the plots if i wanted and change it back for free if i wasn't happy.

Prof Gascan
Hello. Sorry i took them all today but the sizes are too big and the shots were pretty amateur. As it happens i'm off climbing with a photographer girlfriend tomorrow so i'll get her to take them. They'll be posted tomorrow night then. Think ninja black, carbon fibre inlays, lowered and with stealth black bits and you're there.

What a car. I had a B6 S4 for nine months, alright it was the avant but the difference in handling and performance is immense. Its a totaly different animal. None of that nose heavy diving and no lack of power, it just flys in every gear. The new four wheel drive (60:40 split) does also make a huge difference it points into corners much better and because of the power skips like the 911 4 and 911 4S (driven them both but not owned) when you push it hard.
Oh joy, oh joy.
I hope my girlfriend never reads any of this she'll wonder whether i love the car more than her!?

I can't wait to get up and get in it again.

:heart: :rs4kiss: :rs4addict :heart: