PDA

View Full Version : new rs4 member ex bmw m5

ct940pp
June 13th, 2006, 21:57
hello

i am new to this board as i am picking up my rs4 with 2000 miles on it 3 days. Yesterday my brand new m5 ( 2 months old) got stolen so the only thing that made sense was an rs4. i wanted to know how gas mileage was on the rs4 compared to the bmw m5. i am actually glad the m5 got stolen because the gas mileage and small fuel tank was so bad. i will post pictures of my new purchase friday

k2
June 13th, 2006, 23:20
Sorry to hear about your loss ... but welcome.

I've never owned an E39 or E60 ... so I can't comment on the BMer mileage. My RS4 is currently averaging about 14 mpg with moderate driving (i.e. shifting at 4 to 5k rpm). I don't frankly expect it to get any better. Anything above 4 litres in this category will average 13 to 14 in the city. My Q7 is averaging about the same right now and my GranSport and A8 before this were 14-15 - all 4.2 litre autos.

You're not going to win any greenpeace accolaids for driving any of the high performance sedans these days. But I eat whale meat every night anyway ..... :rs4addict

ct940pp
June 13th, 2006, 23:28
i am actually looking forward to the rs4 because it seems a more compact car to drive. i really liked the m5 but i found it very large and heavy. also the all year round driving conditions make the car very impratical for winter use. i think the rs4 is probably a more rational all year round alternative.

Audihead
June 14th, 2006, 00:08
Sorry about your loss. Welcome to the fold!:bye: :rs4addict

IulianUM
June 14th, 2006, 01:27
Congrats and Sorry . I hope you enjoy it a lot of time in this occasion .:rs4addict

rado2rs4
June 14th, 2006, 03:04
sorry bout the M and congrats on the rs4...people that steel piss me off...but people that can take another mans car now that makes me wanna do a burnout on their face :nana:...but gald 2 hear ur gettin the rs4 i envy u :rs4kiss:

Rstr
June 14th, 2006, 04:16
Originally posted by ct940pp
hello
i am actually glad the m5 got stolen because the gas mileage and small fuel tank was so bad.

:confused: Expect more of the same [as in poor mileage and small tank].

However you'll love the :rs4addict

Leadfoot
June 14th, 2006, 11:06
Don't know what the M5 was like, but in general BMW engines are usually easier on fuel power for power than VW/Audi engines, but that was before FSI came out.

One of the Magazine that is running a loang term RS4 took it to the ring for a couple of days and got an average of 14mpg (imperial not U.S gallons), this was with 3 people in the car most times. They are quoting they average for the last 3 months as 21mpg, not to bad at all.

I know there is a difference in quality of fuels between U.S and Europe with us over here getting 97octane, maybe that's where the difference is?

masmole
June 16th, 2006, 02:59
Sorry about your loss, the RS4 is a great move!

You'll be happy to know that the gas mileage is significantly better, especially when driving on the freeways. I have both cars and drive them mixed city/highway on the same daily routes in the same lead-footed and aggressive manner. I average just over 11 mpg on the M5 while the RS4 is averaging close to 15. On the highway alone, I'm getting over 21 mpg on the RS4 while on the M5, I can only get about 15 at best on a good day, and maybe slightly down a hill :)

Then again the RS4 isn't broken yet so my figures might change a little, but I doubt by much.

India Whiskey Charlie
June 16th, 2006, 04:05
Originally posted by masmole
Then again the RS4 isn't broken yet so my figures might change a little, but I doubt by much.
You must mean the engine break-in? If so, the mileage would improve once that happens. :)

masmole
June 16th, 2006, 05:27
Originally posted by Viken B.
You must mean the engine break-in? If so, the mileage would improve once that happens. :)
I doubt it. How do you figure that? Because once break-in rev limitations are done, there will inevitably be more occasions where the revs will hit 8250, not to mention lots of instances where full-throttle is applied. Lots! :) The figures I've been getting so far during my break-in have no instances of rpm's past 6500-ish and not once have I buried the throttle. Ok, maybe once by accident.

Goldorak
June 16th, 2006, 06:43
Masmole, obviously you won't get nearly as good mileage once you start regularly hitting the 8K RPM range after break in. What Viken B. is saying is that driven identically fuel consumption will improve once the engine loosens up, same with power.

jasaretta
June 16th, 2006, 07:14
Originally posted by Audihead
Sorry about your loss. Welcome to the fold!:bye: :rs4addict

Love your pic :)

India Whiskey Charlie
June 16th, 2006, 15:00
Originally posted by masmole
I doubt it. How do you figure that? Because once break-in rev limitations are done, there will inevitably be more occasions where the revs will hit 8250, not to mention lots of instances where full-throttle is applied. Lots! :) The figures I've been getting so far during my break-in have no instances of rpm's past 6500-ish and not once have I buried the throttle. Ok, maybe once by accident.
Given the same driving conditions, all engines get better gas mileage after break-in.

masmole
June 16th, 2006, 15:19
Originally posted by Viken B.
Given the same driving conditions, all engines get better gas mileage after break-in.
I'm fully aware of that already. But I'm referring to gas mileage before and after the specified break-in period, not after the engine ages a few thousand miles. At least in my experience and based on my driving habits, the fact that I drive me cars very gingerly during the break-in period compared to very aggressively after does not equate to an improvement in gas mileage in that immediate regard. And that was the point I was trying to make.

The improvement you're referring to does not become apparent until you notice the gradual improvement over the next thousand miles after break-in. That part I understand. In fact, I've compared two similar road trips on the M5: at about 3000 miles, I got about 14 mpg on a roundtrip from chicago to milwaukee and just recently at about 8000 miles, it was nearly 16 mpg on the same trip (15.7) having averaged about the same speed.

ghostsnake
June 16th, 2006, 15:22
RS4 looks better more of a players car but the M5 is just an INSANE car you should've had some type of tracking device on it well anyways gradz on the RS4