PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh

Paldi
June 11th, 2006, 15:03
What is wrong with this picture?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Paldi/My%20Phaeton/DSC00089.jpg

Graeme
June 11th, 2006, 21:31
you seem to be missing a screw in something off the side of the airbox ???? Maybe a sensor of some sort ?
Am i right, is there a prize haha

Paldi
June 11th, 2006, 21:41
Take a look at the 4 coil connectors...

Aronis
June 12th, 2006, 03:38
looks like the second from the back is 'dirty' perhaps some OIL?

Mike

cc
June 12th, 2006, 03:59
Whats up with the connector catch on the middle two? Plastic fatigue?

Paldi
June 12th, 2006, 04:42
Look at the piece broken off the top one (round hole) - kinda looks like a screwdriver pryed at it, doesn't it? The middle two are worse - the whole tab is busted off the lower one and the other is badly damaged with just a little bit of the locking tab remaining.

The coil pack connector on the bottom connector is intact. It looks like the mechanic realized after breaking the other 3 tabs that that's not how you remove the wiring harness! I guess I'll be looking forward to misfiring as they loosen up... :-(

Do you S6, RS6 and A8 guys have the same part? Don't let them break yours...

cc
June 12th, 2006, 05:09
So there's no such thing as a Hypocratic Oath for car doctors...

Here's what I bet happened: when new, the plastic tab is pliable. Ham-fisted mechanics see infant mortality failures alot, so the ones they fix are often newer. They get used to sticking a screwdriver under the tab, and pull up, releasing the plug.

With heat cycling, the plastic "dehydrates", so the same force that would bend new connector catchs, will crack or peel even slightly aged ones.

Just a guess...hope they're gonna do right by you!

Aronis
June 12th, 2006, 05:11
this kind of 'mishap' never surprises me.

The mechanics figure they can do no wrong....."prove I broke it."

Something to be said for a METAL SCREW vs. some plastic snap or two.

Mike

cc
June 12th, 2006, 05:27
Here, Here!

In today's no-fix-it, just replace-t world, there's not much call for talent or finesse.

I've encountered connectors that have a 20 cycle rating - insert & remove the connector 20 times, and the manufacturer considers it worn out! A product of design goals that take Colin Chapman's philosophy to the edge - no more cost (his was weight) than absolutely necessary to do the job (cross the finish line). The old legend has him claiming that after winning, the ultimate car would fall apart immediately after crossing the finish line.

We're beyond a post-modern world, we're in a disposible one.

gjg
June 12th, 2006, 06:09
The old legend has him claiming that after winning, the ultimate car would fall apart immediately after crossing the finish line.

that still holds true for british cars ...... :D

Except Rolls of course ..... :thumb:

Paldi
June 22nd, 2006, 04:10
Dealer located the parts - $450.00 or so to replace the 3 clips. I told then no thanks...

Aronis
June 22nd, 2006, 12:49
is that not a warrantee item?

Paldi
June 22nd, 2006, 13:56
My dealer says the parts arn't defective. Someone broke them and they won't pay for damage done at another dealership. Since we don't know who broke it, I'm out of luck. They will fix if I pay for it.