PDA

View Full Version : Coil Pack wiring harness connector tabs broken?

Paldi
June 11th, 2006, 04:34
Has anyone seen this? The two middle wiring harness locking tabs are missing and the top one has a chunk out of it. It looks to me that someone pried at them with a screw driver!

Those on this side of the engine are removed to get to the oil filter during oil/filter changes.

Can the locking tabs be replaced easily or is this a big deal?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Paldi/My%20Phaeton/DSC00089.jpg

Lateknight
July 20th, 2006, 19:51
Part number 4B0 973 724 is the 4 pin connector housing onto the Ignition coil for 4.2 V8 Phaeton. (Also fits other VaG cars with this type of seperate coil ign system - 1.8T,2.0,3.2 etc)

Just over £4 ea in uk

So about $6/7 in U.S, each (guess)

You would need the spec.tool for releasing the individual terminals in your old connector block, so they can be pushed into the new block without risk of damaging them.

Paldi
July 21st, 2006, 02:36
Thank you sir. My service dept. wanted $470.00 US to do the job. The tool can't cost near that.

Lateknight
July 22nd, 2006, 18:20
Originally posted by Paldi
Thank you sir. My service dept. wanted $470.00 US to do the job. The tool can't cost near that.

I bet they wanted to replace the engine ignition loom whole (lazy bast...s)
You would not normally be charged for any special tools used. That is normally absorbed by the service dept. and is part of the reason why your labour (labor) rate is as high as it is.
The tool is not overly complex. Its only about screwdriver size with 2 very close prongs that you would insert into the terminal block to release the tabs either side of each terminal.

Any competent Automotive electrician should be able to sort this.
The hardest things being .. getting the original terminals out of the old block without mangling them... making sure the 4 wires are put back in exactly the same order.
Would have thought 30 mins would cover changing 2 connectors.