PDA

View Full Version : Suspension upgrade anyone have the install instructions

DetailersDomain
June 5th, 2006, 05:36
if you decide to take the drc out are there any lights that will come up on the dash?

How long is the uninstall of DRC and the install of the new suspension.

Thanks,
Phil

Aronis
June 5th, 2006, 14:06
There is no electrical connection to the car for the DRC, it's purely mechanical.

So, you disconnect the Shocks at the in-line check valves and leave the tubing and central valves. This will also keep the system under proper pressure should you decide to replace it.

Replacing the shocks/springs is no different than an A6....just don't loosten one key bolt up front (or you mess up the front end allignment! - lol).

:hahahehe:

Now had they put an electrical connection such as a pressure transducer which momentarily checks the system pressure at ignition....you'd have a warning on a leak before it becomes a major problem. With a slight leak you could theoretically have the leaking point replaced without having to change the EMPTY shocks if it get so that empty point! Then the new Central valves and it's fixed in one day. Without the warning, most drivers notice the problem only after a good amount of the fluid has escaped and they then drive the car with empty or near empty shocks which in my opinion would ruin the inner guts of the shock! Thus they have to be replaced! Too bad they did not listen to us RS6's in the past 6 or more months and put a monitoring system in the RS4's DRC system.....they don't listen to their consumers.

Mike:vgrumpy:

DetailersDomain
June 5th, 2006, 14:49
that's great info I really appreciate it.

Its help a newbie like me out big time. Now what are the replacements out there.

Stasus, PSS9's, are there KW's

Aronis
June 5th, 2006, 15:34
this guy is in CT.....

Mitchell Frischer

Speedtechnik

www.speedtechnik.com

'Performance Without Limits'(R)

(203)-229-0590 (Voice)

DetailersDomain
June 5th, 2006, 15:36
Actually I do all my work with KMD Tuning in NJ. They are great guys. I just wanted to educate myself before I do anything more to the car.

Aronis
June 5th, 2006, 15:46
Yes, I have heard that name...excellent...

Ohlin's supposed to be the 'best' but I think the PSS9 would be fine for under $2000.00

DetailersDomain
June 5th, 2006, 15:49
Ohlins are about $4k correct?

Aronis
June 5th, 2006, 16:09
Yes...plus labor.....

Too Expensive for me for a leased car.

Going in tomorrow for fourth try at the DRC repair.......and no loaner car......I get to pay for a rental for 4 days.....or more....

Mike

DetailersDomain
June 5th, 2006, 16:12
wow that sucks! especially cause it's leased.

KW's are great! I had them on my 04 S4.

Loved them. Thinking that it would be the same as the A6 4.2 kit.

I'm sure the car would handle so much nicer with a coilover suspension.

Aronis
June 5th, 2006, 16:15
this term Coil Over kills me. My current shocks are just that....coil over a shock.....What is the difference?

I was set to do the Ohlin's in CT but I simply cannot afford it...relocating expenses are killing me...can't get out of the lease, etc....

Eyeing a Honda Fit as my next car. I am done with high end cars, unless they come with a couple of spare cars.....

Mike

DetailersDomain
June 5th, 2006, 16:18
I hear you on that one.

Coilover suspension by definition of Wikipedia

It consists of a shock absorber with a coil spring encircling it. The shock absorber and spring are preassembled as a unit prior to installation. This provides for optimal damping without torsional loads. Some coilovers are adjustable for ride height and hardness as well using a simple threaded spring perch similar to a nut.

Coilovers should not be confused with struts or independently mounted shock absorbers.