PDA

View Full Version : Auto Motor und Sport: New A4 and C-Class

tailpipe
June 4th, 2006, 18:00
The latest edition of Auto Motor und Sport has an in-depth article on the next A4 and C-Class. Has anyone seen it who can tell us what they are saying. It's in German, and I couldn't quite translate the key facts. Thanks in advance for your translation!

Eckoman
June 7th, 2006, 16:55
A few keypoints in the online article:

- C-Class will be launched in 03/07 and has dimensions like todays A4
- A4 will be launched by the end of 2007 and will be bigger than C-Class
- A4 and A5 will share a new undercarriage to conform with european pedestrian safety requirements - engine will be moved further back, differential and transmission positions will be switched
- A4 and A5 will use Axles from the A6 which increase productivity by as much as 40%
- A4 can be ordered with magnetic ride
- C-Class will accomodate Pre-Safe as standard, derived from the S-Class Pre-Safe system
- A4 will have MMI derived from A6
- all A4 petrol engines will have FSI, starting with the 1.6 (115 hp) to guerantee low entry-level prices, up to the 2.0 with 140, 170 and 200 hp. top model will be the RS4 having 450 hp. diesels will start using common-rail, starting from the 2.0 TDI (140 hp) and ranging up to the 3.0 TDI (233 hp)
- C-Class engines will be C 200 CDI (136 hp), C 220 CDI (170 hp) and C 320 CDI (224 hp + allwheel-drive) - C 180 (156 hp), C 200 (184 hp), C 230 (204 hp), C 280 (231 hp), C 350 (272 hp) and the C 63 AMG with 450 hp.

tailpipe
June 7th, 2006, 23:19
Eckoman,

You are living proof that the Internet is a wild and wonderful thing!

Thanks for your translation, I'm sure others will find these facts interesting. I wonder what it means when it says that next A4 will have differential and transmission switched? Can't wait to see how a4 turns out.

Magnetic ride on A4? Great. RS4 with 450 bhp? Today, please.

Merc looks good too.

Eckoman
June 7th, 2006, 23:35
Originally posted by tailpipe
I wonder what it means when it says that next A4 will have differential and transmission switched?

Excuse my bad english - it means that the arrangement of the differential and the trans are swapped. The trans will be placed where the diff sits now and vice versa.

I hope this helps you understanding it :)

tailpipe
June 7th, 2006, 23:41
Eckoman,

Your English is great. It's my German that's bad. Vielen dank! And good luck Deutschland in the World Cup (you'll need it if you play the English!)

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

clam
June 9th, 2006, 17:24
Originally posted by Eckoman
Excuse my bad english - it means that the arrangement of the differential and the trans are swapped. The trans will be placed where the diff sits now and vice versa.

I hope this helps you understanding it :)

Yup. To elaborate, the diff has to be near the front wheels, so it can provide power there. With the current layout, that means the gearbox and engine are placed in front of the front wheels. With a very bad weight distribution as a result.

By putting the diff between the engine and gearbox, the drivetrain is able to move further inside the chassis.

Leadfoot
June 9th, 2006, 19:57
I know it's all guess work at the minute, but with these changes what might the weight distribution be now. Is it getting closer the the magical 50/50 which BMW hold dear, and if so what is the best ratio for a awd front-engine car?

If Tailpipe is right and the next A4's will be rwd in standard form, at what point will awd be classed as a option?

I have always wondered if Audis were rwd would they still feel like a Audi, if you understand by that what I mean.:vhmmm: