PDA

View Full Version : 997 Turbo, is it good value?

Leadfoot
June 4th, 2006, 13:41
Was just reading some interesting facts about the new 997 Turbo and it's not about how good it is to drive or how quick it goes.

Porsche make as much profit from one 997 Turbo as they do from four 997 Carreras or seven Cayenne.

To me this sounds like a rip-off.

AndyBG
June 4th, 2006, 15:53
I don't see any reason why should you/we now discous about PORSCHES profit as long as they provide the BEST value for money cars in the world.

New 911 turbo is best car, not only for that amount of money, maybe even the best car on market in this moment.

Benman
June 4th, 2006, 19:35
Originally posted by AndyBG
I don't see any reason why should you/we now discous about PORSCHES profit as long as they provide the BEST value for money cars in the world.

Yeah, not to mention how much Ferrari price rape their customers yet buyers seem to line up with their pillows in hand...:hihi:

Ben:addict:

Erik
June 4th, 2006, 19:49
It's good value for the share holders :D

Sunny
June 6th, 2006, 02:56
It is not about how much it costs Porsche to make one, it is supply and demand. Think about it, unlike Cayenne, Turbo really has no competetion - F430 and Gallardo are way more expensive, SL55 and M6 are really GT cars. Z06 has an image problem to seriously threaten turbo sales.

Hopefully Audi R10 will change that.

BTW my first post, so :bye:

Benman
June 6th, 2006, 04:11
Originally posted by Sunny

BTW my first post, so :bye:

Welcome to the forums Sunny:thumb:

Ben:addict:

SoCal
June 7th, 2006, 08:23
Welcome aboard, Sunny.:cheers:

CarbonFibre
June 7th, 2006, 10:34
Porsche knows how to make amazing cars and at the same time make amazing profits, so I can't really fault them.

BBGT2
June 7th, 2006, 13:19
They are in the business to make money as is anyone else. They have made great products and people will keep buying their cars, more power to them,

Bajo

fastdrive
June 9th, 2006, 20:00
the price to buy it's cheaper than ferrari
But when you sold?
Ferrari for it's the best....
Anyway i hope the 996 turbo-gt3 continue to decrease for buy it one day
:D

Leadfoot
June 9th, 2006, 22:04
I see from all your rections that I still see the 997Turbo as value for money. Now when you think about it, Porsche was near bust in the 90's and were really saved with the introduction of the Boxster and now are on a roll with the Cayenne with the bank balance full for the developments of new model.

Both the these two cars that saved Porsche are their least profitable, what does this say to me. If Porsche had of reduced the prices of the 997 range back in the 90's, they wouldn't have put themselves so close to broke.

All people wanted was a cheaper 997, but I reckon Porsche didn't want to cheapen the 997 name so piece together the Boxster from 997 parts, put the engine in the middle so to make them different and sale it at almost half the price. I doubt there is that much different between the cost to make a 997 and a Boxster.

I think Porsche should be making more models of the cars that People want to buy, not the ones that nearly ruined them.

That's my thoughts.

BBGT2
June 10th, 2006, 13:29
Leadfoot,

I think you wanted to say the "911" series instead of the "997" you kept refering to as that model is their newest version of the 911 Carrera series.
I for one disagree with you that they should build cars for the masses, that is not what Dr.Porsche intended and it should not change their philosphy even though they strayed with the Cayenne even though it is a profit maker for them.
Whats next a turbodiesel Porsche? NO thanks not for me in that brand.
Reason Ferrari's keep their value is that they are not mass produced, they are not driven nearly as much as a Porsche car is, which adds to their value AND that theor maintenance cost are out of this world.
A ferrari 15k mile maintenance is close to $10k for some models. Ask a Ferrari owner and a majority of them will tell you they will sell their cars before the bog maintenance service is due.
Granted that is not to say that ALL Ferrari guys do that but alot of them do.
Porsche drivers drive their cars even in the winter to me that is a 24/7 Supercar and waht Dr. Porsche intended. As it has been said before, Porsche there is NO substitute.

Bajo

Leadfoot
June 11th, 2006, 01:46
BBGT2,

Your missing the point, never did I say Porsche should do diesel and I for one wouldn't want another ill-faced Cayenne, a model without any styling. They should be move into newer markets like light weight sportscar at £20K+, moving in sporty MPV, niche market to keep the brand alive.

Cars like the Boxster and the Cayman are the future of Porsche, they are regarded not only by roadtester but by Porsche themselves to be better handling cars than the 911. This is why Porsche will not give them LSDs or more power, because very few people would buy the 911.

The only reason the 911 is still made is b/c the public wouldn't accept front engined replacements. Ask any fan and I think quite a lot would accept a mid engined 911 if it looked the same, that is what people want, not the rear engine, the style of the thing. Moving the engine would open up lots of engine choice which the current layout can't. We want Porsche to compete with the likes of Ferrari, but the only way is to add turbos which can only take the power so far with 3.6L and still be reliable.

You say you don't want them to be building cars for the masses, if they took your advise we wouldn't be able to enjoy a Porsche today because there wouldn't be any, they would have been bust along time ago.