PDA

View Full Version : RS4, to heavy?

TheLegacy
June 3rd, 2006, 04:57
I'm a n00b with the world of Audi cars. I've been with Subarus all my life. However I love the S4 and the RS4.

I drive a 350HP Subaru WRX but I'm starting to head twrds high end cars.

What kinds of times does the RS4 pull out on the 1/4 mile

whats the handeling like, can take some sharp corners with no issue?

last is maintaining it, they reliable even if slightly modded.

I know a lot of n00b questions but I'm coming from a japanese car side. My car can move and its reallll nice on road courses but its a lot to take care when u start modding everything out of that little motor

bri
June 4th, 2006, 03:47
the jump from subaru to audi is actually fairly logical, you'll find the cars are more similar than most other comparisons..

the swedish magazine AUTOMOBIL (only stats i have at hand) quote 0-100km/h at 4.7s and a 1/4mi at 12.8s..

i've had no problems with modified audis, and i put about 60k (hard) miles on a modded '01 2.7t S4, but your mileage may always vary..

yes, they can take some sharp corners, indeed.. in fact, they're really designed with that in mind, since europe generally has less straight roads than america..

audis are aimed at a different market, for the most part.. the RS4 is a german luxury sedan in addition to being an enthusiast's car, so the feel and attitude will be different than a subaru..

buy an RS4 and let us know how you think it compares :)

TheLegacy
June 4th, 2006, 05:28
Thank you for your response. I wont be getting an RS4 for a long time, depends on what happens in 3 yrs with money and base assignment. However my little WRX with a swap of a motor, tranny, and another turbo can go 500HP! But its A LOT of work to do and to maintain. However I'm looking for a change of a more respectable high end car with both worlds what my subaru does and with nice attraction. Im afraid the A4 isnt enough car and the S4 is to heavy so the RS4 is just an amazing car, i love the inside and outside of it. Thanks

Leadfoot
June 4th, 2006, 13:53
The S4v8 when it was compared in Top Gear with a Subaru STI (305hp) and a EVO 8 beat the Subura to the 1/4 mile by 2 car lengths but was beat by the EVO by the same again. With reguards to the handling, yes it will feel heavyer mainly because it is, but the weight balance of both cars are very similar so apart from the added weight they should on the whole feel the same. Around the Top Gear track there is under a second of difference.

As for the RS4 it will be a world of difference between the Subaru and the S4, acceleration, handling and ride. If you can afford it that's the way to go, and good luck.

TheLegacy
June 5th, 2006, 01:05
Thank you for the insight. I really need to test drive one and get a feel. I know it seems stupid because this is 3-4yrs from now. However financial planning is needed regardless. With the subarus I know the motor well and I can build a 500HP car easily! However it requires a lot of work and it isn't so high end, its a common car for most my peers but I'm a professional.

The only thing that sucks is that the US verison won't have the Recaro seats that with a push of a button can adjust. Shame they wont have that, does anyone change their seats?

Thanks everyone

Iceman
June 5th, 2006, 17:15
Originally posted by TheLegacy
RS4 to heavy.
Absolutely, about 300 Kg.

Hans.

BigRick
June 5th, 2006, 17:49
Originally posted by Iceman
Absolutely, about 300 Kg.

Hans.

Any ideas on what should be done to save those 300 kg? They supposedly put the RS4 on a diet but still, it's quite heavy. So where’s the fat?

Is it an overall problem or can some part be changed/modified to reduce weight significantly?

Iceman
June 5th, 2006, 18:10
Originally posted by BigRick
Any ideas on what should be done to save those 300 kg? They supposedly put the RS4 on a diet but still, it's quite heavy. So where’s the fat?

Is it an overall problem or can some part be changed/modified to reduce weight significantly?
To use a lot of alloy/Carbon in doors, fenders, engine hood, tail gate and so on.
All so put in 4 Race Recaro's. :D

Hans.

TheLegacy
June 5th, 2006, 18:25
Or lots of carbon fiber lol. Ya, if I can reduce the weight a bit than it wouldn't be so bad. However just looking at my friends converted S4 or pictures of the RS4 its just so stunning!

bri
June 5th, 2006, 19:07
before you go crazy planning mods, just drive the car first.. i modded my s4 with an APR chip soon after they hit the market, and while it gave me an additional ~100 ft/lbs of torque to wow my passengers with, it ruined the beautiful balance the car had from the factory.. (and led to the need for bigger brakes, and tighter suspension since i was hitting curves faster now, etc. etc. you know how it goes)

while i tend to agree that more of a good thing is always a better thing, in this case some of the best automobile engineers in the world have developed an amazing vehicle with supercar performance in a streetable, affordable sedan (saloon, whatever).. anything you change in the system will affect the rest, so at least enjoy the well-balanced machine as it was designed before tearing into it.. :)

IulianUM
June 5th, 2006, 19:23
It is heavy for sure , but you don´t feel it heavy at all .:dance:

And yes Audi or Quattro should have made a Carbon Fiber roof and hood , and made the doors in alluminium . With a little effort they could have saved 100kg at least , but it would be much more expensive , so ...

TheLegacy
June 5th, 2006, 22:13
I have the lovely gift of NEVER being able to leave any car alone... I can own an SLR and still want to do something to it lol

clam
June 5th, 2006, 23:31
Originally posted by BigRick

You could reduce interior, sound insulation, window thickness,... to that of an elise. But that's not really the point of a car like this.

I'm sure Audi did everything that is achievable. You have to expect compromise when you try and turn a family car into a sportscar.

Leadfoot
June 6th, 2006, 00:28
Originally posted by clam
You could reduce interior, sound insulation, window thickness,... to that of an elise. But that's not really the point of a car like this.

I'm sure Audi did everything that is achievable. You have to expect compromise when you try and turn a family car into a sportscar.

If people want to be practical and look at what their needs were, we wouldn't see SUV filling up every school car pack. People like the performance of a sportscar and the handling but they don't want to look at it practically b/c if they did there wouldn't be M3, RS4, AMG E55 and the likes.

Sportscars are for people who have their SUVs, sports saloon are for those that done have enough money yet.

IulianUM
June 6th, 2006, 01:10
Or for those that are wiser , I hope .:p