PDA

View Full Version : RS6 and Aston-Martin V8 Vantage

tailpipe
May 30th, 2006, 12:14
Was staying with a friend last weekend who has just taken delivery of an Aston-Martin V8 Vantage. What a stunning car. We decided to go out for lunch with our wives. They follow us in the RS6 Avant along a network of twisty English B-roads, while we punish Aston-Martin V8. I mean we absolutely see what it can do. And what an awesome beast it is - a real delight to be in.

The surprise isn't that the RS6 keeps up, but does so when being driven by my friend's wife. She doesn't like cars or driving much at all and is more interested in enjoying a gossipy conversation with Mrs Tailpipe than hitting the apex of any corner we in the Aston take with scalpel-like precision.

We arrive and wife says: "I thought you two were going to drive like a couple of hooligans. I had no problem keeping up with you." Friend is fuming.

RS6 may be showing signs of age, but my oh my is it an impressive piece of kit.

Benman
May 30th, 2006, 16:18
Originally posted by tailpipe

RS6 may be showing signs of age, but my oh my is it an impressive piece of kit.

And there you have it.:applause: A wagon schooling an AM. For me, the RS cars are the greatest at what they do, stealthy super cars.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

boss330
June 5th, 2006, 18:00
Just out of curiosity(and as I don't know if your friend really is a better driver than his wife ;) ) how does the times at the Nürburgring compare between these two cars?

I mean, awesome that the RS6 is, Audis aren't exactly renowned by motoring journalists for their awesome handling(mainly due to their alleged lack of steering feel and heavy front ends due to the engine hanging in front of the front axle). As the AM V8 Vantage is generally getting good feedback on it's handling I find it hard to believe that (under equal conditions) the RS6 can outhandle the V8.....

Maybe the RS6 is easier, and more comfortably driven at 10/10ths and that to drive the V8 Vantage above, say, 8/10ths needs the driver to dig deeper into the confidence in what the car can do?

tailpipe
June 5th, 2006, 18:51
To be honest with you we were on English B-roads on a wet day. So, we weren't going completely mad - just a little bit of showing off. But even so, the ease with which the RS6 kept up was incredible. If it had been a police chase, the Aston would not have escaped. Don't know aston v RS6 Ring times.

What i do know is that RS4 goes from 0-100 mph in 10.5 seconds and Aston takes a second longer!

SpinEcho
June 7th, 2006, 05:10
The power to weight ratio of the RS6 and V8 Vantage is almost identical. The RS6 has a superior torque to weight ratio. I don't have any personal experience with the Aston, but the majority of the reputable magazine tests I've read indicate that the Aston's claimed hp and/or torque figures are exaggerated (based on acceleration numbers). Bring on a forced induction version, please!

Benman
June 7th, 2006, 16:13
Originally posted by SpinEcho
The power to weight ratio of the RS6 and V8 Vantage is almost identical...

See, there you go. SO why is it so hard for some to believe a :rs6kiss: can really school an AM?:vhmmm: ;)

Ben:addict:

boss330
June 12th, 2006, 20:12
Well, an old 1960 ies Mustang/Corvette etc. probably also has got an comparable power to weight ratio, as does a lot of high powered cars. That isn't the same as they got the same road handling through the twists and turns.....

Power to weight is most valid for acceleration, and even there it's not the whole story. Gearing, traction(quattro, which tires etc) all plays into it.

I'm not saying that the RS6 is a bad car. far from it, I think theyre awesome and applaud Audi for making these fantastic cars. To me, the concept of the family racer such as the RS6/RS4 is in many ways more appealing than an outright sportscar. But that doesn't make me blind to the fact that a pure bred sports car at 1570kg with superior centre of gravity and weight distribution should handle better than a 1900kg sedan with the engine hanging out in front of its front axle(giving not ideal weight distribution...).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the RS6 handles bad and I even think that in the wet it's probably better than allmost any rear wheel drive car due to it's superior traction.

boss330
June 12th, 2006, 20:12
Well, an old 1960 ies Mustang/Corvette etc. probably also has got an comparable power to weight ratio, as does a lot of high powered cars. That isn't the same as they got the same road handling through the twists and turns.....

Power to weight is most valid for acceleration, and even there it's not the whole story. Gearing, traction(quattro, which tires etc) all plays into it.

I'm not saying that the RS6 is a bad car. far from it, I think theyre awesome and applaud Audi for making these fantastic cars. To me, the concept of the family racer such as the RS6/RS4 is in many ways more appealing than an outright sportscar. But that doesn't make me blind to the fact that a pure bred sports car at 1570kg with superior centre of gravity and weight distribution should handle better than a 1900kg sedan with the engine hanging out in front of its front axle(giving not ideal weight distribution...).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the RS6 handles bad and I even think that in the wet it's probably better than allmost any rear wheel drive car due to it's superior traction.

SpinEcho
June 13th, 2006, 03:17
Sure the Aston handles better, and no doubt would give more driver satisfaction in corners. But on average roads in day to day driving with average drivers I have no doubt the RS6 would easily keep up, if not pull away. It's so simple - point and mash throttle to floor - the torque does the rest. Part of the reason the Aston would be more fun is because it would be a lot more work!

SoCal
June 14th, 2006, 06:28
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Sure the Aston handles better, and no doubt would give more driver satisfaction in corners. But on average roads in day to day driving with average drivers I have no doubt the RS6 would easily keep up, if not pull away. It's so simple - point and mash throttle to floor - the torque does the rest. Part of the reason the Aston would be more fun is because it would be a lot more work!

Well said.:0:

Nickerz
June 15th, 2006, 23:10
This should help answer some questions...

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1d_e.asp?Car1=53%26C ar2=89

Compares RS6 vs. AM Vantage around the Nuerburgring track

Nick

***EDIT***
I fixed the link

SpinEcho
June 16th, 2006, 04:14
Yep, pretty much sums it up.

Interesting at speed acceleration stats - the V8 Vantage is better than the RS6!

Imagine though: to do those numbers, the guy in the RS6 just buried his foot into the carpet while taking a sip from his coffee, while the guy in the Aston furiously rowed the gears (and had fun in the process while listening to that glorious noise...)